Teenagers causing damage to ship this week

19 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

No dont stop it. Plenty of us good parents out their who take responsibility for our childrens behaviour. Royal need to grow some spine and ban/kick off these trouble makers. 

Royal should have cracked down on this years ago. I was on Indy 2017 2 sailings before the westbound T/A for the winter season. 1 kid from Nottingham and his brother caused mayhem. It was nearly ended up like something out of Agatha Christie or Murder She Wrote. He was upskirting girls, racist to staff wanted me to buy a jd coke for 30 quid on me like a rash. It got to the stage people in the club where ready to kill him and do the jail. It has to be one warning and your off even no warning and your off with life ban

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Some places offer Senior Discounts young as 50, many more at 55. Turned 57 and I'm not shy or ever embarrassed to ask for anything that could save me $$$. Did get 2 Senior Discounts from 2 other Cruise Lines, but seem to do lot better scoring Military Discounts with Royal. Funny thing is get Carded lot of the time as workers guess I'm only in my early 40's. I can live with that!.. Was very Lucky with my Kids/Teens, never an issue on Cruises or outside the house even with me not looking over their Shoulder. Though we had some serious heated discussions this was always at Home. Can't Win them all

We never had an issue with our boys when they were little kids and teens on cruises because we NEVER took them! We waited until later to cruise with them when they were, at least, semi-formed human beings. 😉

They are all really nice and successful adults now but in their teens ... 😱. That being said, I would not change anything about those years. Not because those experiences helped make them who they are now. No, it's because Mrs. Dawg and I have some BIG Stories from that time to hang over them. 😊 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Our first cruise was a non stop transatlantic on QM2. Kids were 14 and 16. The draw for them was the three nights we stayed in New York before.  But they were great, no issues. As far as I can remember there was no kids club, or if there was they didn't go.

They didn't roam the ship late at night, quite honestly this seems to me not quite right anyway.

Maybe under 16s should be with their families after 10pm unless under the supervision of kids club.

Over 16s could have a wrist band that easily identify them as old enough to be trusted to be out alone late at night. 

I haven't personally haven't any experience of badly behaved kids, a bit rowdy or noisy maybe but that's different from bad behaviour 

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I would've backed you too.  Years ago -- when my kids were teens -- I wrote up a list of expectations, and I shared them here.  It seemed to be 50-50:  some people said, "Give the kids some freedom!  Ships are safe!", yet I saw variations on my list show up for years after.  I was never unhappy with my kids' behavior onboard, and I really think it's because I let them know exactly what I expected.  

Let me see what I remember: 

- Don't go into other people's cabins. Don't allow others in our cabins. 

- Be polite to all crew and all guests at all times -- help elderly people and people with small children in the Windjammer and on elevators.  

- You may eat breakfast and lunch with new friends, but leave us a note letting us know where you are. 

- We eat dinner as a family.  

- After dinner we are together OR you're in a teen club activity.  

- We will all leave notes in the room saying where we are.  Check in with us every 2-3 hours.  

- We leave the ship as a family.  

- You will not have charging privileges on your Sea Pass, but tell us if you want to buy something. 

- You will have a soda package.  Do not accept drinks from anyone except a ship employee.  Do not finish a drink that's been out of your sight.  

I agree wholeheartedly. Excellent list.

We basically had the same list for our son when he was a teenager. He still talks about my busting him when he stopped by his cabin with a (male) friend to pick something up (directly across from our cabin), and he invited him inside.  We gave him as much freedom as we could, believing it was a good "practice" for young adulthood, but the rules were not to be broken.  I was not our son's friend.  I was his mom, and willing to embarrass him if necessary.  Heck, our existence was embarrassing at that time! 🤣  Parenting, true hands-on parenting, is not for the faint of heart. 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

In my one bad cruise experience due to out of control kids, the worker at guest services told me security puts them back in the room with the parents and the parents let them back out or go back out themselves. I was told they put the family on a list so they can't cruise with RC again but I have no idea if that's true.

I'm usually in bed by 10pm on cruises and miss all this wild night life. Bang on my door repeatedly and I will put on my crown and anchor robe and make a scary appearance at guest services though.

This week at 2 am they were at sorrentos,  asked to see their seapass and told to go to their room.  We encountered them hiding from security and reorganizing thier group on the way back to

our room.  I told them i was plain clothed police!  

• Like 3

On 3/18/2023 at 11:22 PM, brevardcruiser said:

There are a couple examples.  Who knows who actually broke them.  My wife and I personally saw several families disembark at Aruba with their luggage.  We said that’s odd.  Later we found out.  Also I didn’t video the fights in the seaplex with the teens.  We were too worried about removing our kids from the area.  Security is non existent and parents are too!! 

3A93ABF5-C0DF-49B3-90AA-691C2FA9183F.jpeg

592DC387-AA91-4C02-85CD-4CD313715226.jpeg

We were on Odyssey in January and one of the elevator panels was smashed.  I wonder if it was ever replaced?  I don't know how something like that would happen accidentally.

23 hours ago, SilkySal said:

When on ships with the large Promenades and the beautiful classic/vintage cars on the floor, I cringe every time that I see kids crawling all over them and sometimes banging on them! It then becomes understandable when I see a parent leaning all over the car to have a picture moment! They used to have signs saying DO NOT TOUCH and sometimes even place a rope around them but anymore the cars are free standing. DH just tells me not to look but it still really bothers me. Is it just me?

17 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Why not book on a cruise line that doesn't cater to kids? Celebrity and Holland America usually  have fewer kids than Royal. 

So, people are supposed to run away because people don't make their kids behave?  We've had no issues with cruises with well behaved kids (usually that's cruises with the number of kids the ship can actually handle in it's youth programs).  Why should anyone have to switch from a cruise line they have been sailing on for years? Personally, IMHO, the cruise line should limit the number of kids under 18 to what the programs can handle.  That makes the most sense for everyone.  And, who knows if this behavior continues, it may come to that.  I wonder how those parents feel who have been kicked off the ship (and probably banned) feel after the fact?  I know they most likely blame the cruise line which is 100% the problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Magicat said:

Perhaps the next time some parent starts a thread asking how they can get their angelic children into a room by themselves, collectively, we should deter them.

You mean all those parents who say their kids are "mature" for their age?  Are some, absolutely, but that is not a hallmark of most teenagers.   Monitoring your kids is not being mean, it's being responsible and teaching them important life lessons.  I can always tell the adults who were raised by parents who thought their job was to be their kids "friend".  Most are adults who make terrible life choices.

• Like 4

I was on Odyssey this past week....I noticed a smashed evelator button panel on the ship from embarkation day...however as the week went on I started to notice several more smashed panels....not good. There were many posts/complaints on our group page of incidents that people experienced or witnessed through our sailing.

We were on the Mariner last year with many 'young adults'. The four-letter language from this group was awful...even at dinner. I told one couple in the hot tub to stop it. They just looked puzzled as to why anyone would object to their vulgar language.

• Like 1

There’s an interesting phenom you often see exhibited by those on vacation, whether land or sea.  Can strike even those that are normally upstanding & level-headed when at home.

Variation of any/all:

*I’ve been cooped up due to the pandemic,

*I deserve special treatment cause I’m:  diamond, platinum, annual pass, stockholder, you name it.  Not to be confused with whatever perks are extended to reward the faithful.

*I spent a crap ton of money on this trip, going to grab the gusto

all leading up to:  

I’m going to do whatever the hell I want, because it’s my vacation”.  

AKA:  fellow passengers & travel provider be dammed school of thot.   

Parents, teach your children well, as that sort of attitude surely filters down to one’s spawn.  

On the other hand…

Kids will be kids, that’s when you put on the emergency brake.  Otherwise, you may encounter being called to task down the road for their actions.

Even the most responsible kids can slip a bit into behaviors they would never normally exhibit  (both at home & on vacation), especially if peer pressure is heightened.   If you don’t believe that, you are deluding yourself.  

IMO, ultimately, It’s how kids respond to being corrected and learn to accept responsibility for their actions that counts.   until those who act out are held to account, there is no incentive for change.

OT:  Granted, have hunkered down from cruising for nearly 3 years, however, I am wondering where are the security guards that used to be visibly patrolling on the ships?  TBH, I had always hoped there were plainclothes ones milling about too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dunrobbin said:

It is time for Royal Caribbean to have Adults Only Cruises. Do they have them? I know I would consider booking them!

Royal Caribbean ships are designed for families. You are looking at the wrong cruise line if you expect adults only cruises. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

I will be on Odyssey the 8th and this terrifies me.  It's just the hubs and me.  I mistakenly booked during this time because I wasn't thinking.  I try to avoid sailing in the spring break time but I messed up.  I hope the mayhem has calmed down by that point but not holding my breath.

35 minutes ago, BND said:

So, people are supposed to run away because people don't make their kids behave?  We've had no issues with cruises with well behaved kids (usually that's cruises with the number of kids the ship can actually handle in it's youth programs).  Why should anyone have to switch from a cruise line they have been sailing on for years? Personally, IMHO, the cruise line should limit the number of kids under 18 to what the programs can handle.  That makes the most sense for everyone.  And, who knows if this behavior continues, it may come to that.  I wonder how those parents feel who have been kicked off the ship (and probably banned) feel after the fact?  I know they most likely blame the cruise line which is 100% the problem.

When I moved from a Toyota to a Lexus it wasn't 'running away' It was Upgrading. 😁

You asked; "Why should anyone have to switch from a cruise line they have been sailing on for years?" When that cruise line no longer meets your needs/requirements, it's time to shove off and make a change. Of course, you can continue to spend your hard earned money with them and write lots of letters to management complaining about the situation, but why knock your head against a wall. Move on. Like fish, there are lots of and cruise lines in the sea! 🛳️

• Like 3