Just Back from the Rotterdam

doone

30 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Yes, 2 services a day….

We were on Rotterdam Feb 25-Mar 8. We were told by the room steward that they provided one service per day, our choice of morning or evening. We had a balcony room on deck 5. 

No towel animals, no chocolates.  They or someone would leave tomorrow’s Daily in our mailbox in the early evening. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We were on Rotterdam Feb 25-Mar 8. We were told by the room steward that they provided one service per day, our choice of morning or evening. We had a balcony room on deck 5. 

No towel animals, no chocolates.  They or someone would leave tomorrow’s Daily in our mailbox in the early evening. 

The lazy stewards say that and if you don’t ask for evening turn down service you don’t get it but if you simply said we would like our cabin serviced twice daily you would have gotten it. 

We were aboard Rotterdam from 2/15-3/18. Our steward on deck 1 (Deny) had 18 cabins to clean without any assistance and did everything including twice daily cleaning, towel animals every night and never had to be asked for anything. Twice daily was a given with him. Always greeted us with a broad smile and when he wasn’t cleaning cabins he was cleaning the hallways. The room was always immaculate. After our 21 days we gave him a $100 tip. 

For our last 10 day leg we moved to a neptune suite on deck 7 which had two stewards and found stained sheets on the bed on day 1. No towel animals, ice bucket not filled, chair cushions left outside overnight and dust in every nook and cranny you looked in. So it’s not consistent. Ironic that we got the better treatment in the cabin costing a small fraction of the cost of the neptune suite.  This pair of stewards got no extra tip. 

BTW, since the restart chocolate is only given out on dressy nights. If you’re nice to the stewards and ask for it they will give you more but they have been told it’s now policy to limit it to those nights only. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

15 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

The lazy stewards say that and if you don’t ask for evening turn down service you don’t get it but if you simply said we would like our cabin serviced twice daily you would have gotten it. 

We were aboard Rotterdam from 2/15-3/18. Our steward on deck 1 (Deny) had 18 cabins to clean without any assistance and did everything including twice daily cleaning, towel animals every night and never had to be asked for anything. The room was always immaculate. For our last leg we moved to a neptune suite on deck 7 which had two steward and found stained sheets on the bed on day 1. No towel animals, ice bucket not filled, chair cushions left outside overnight and dust everywhere you looked. So it’s not consistent. 

You have to wonder if, sometimes, there's a different dynamic involved with 1 vs 2 tasked with cleaning your cabin.

Our housekeeper, of several years, brought in someone to train/help a few months ago. She, on her own, does an exemplary job. As soon as there was an extra person there, we started noticing multiple things every week which were not up to par (we don't go around with a white glove, these were obvious things). This went on for 2-3 months, until such time as we asked if she could resume taking care of our home by herself. Like magic, things were back to "normal".

With cabin stewards, perhaps one (the main one) assumes that the other is keeping their standards up - without actually verifying. 

Tom

Is there a laundry area for guests to use on the ship?  I've read some conflicting accounts.

We are sailing in August on a 7-day Norway Fjords trip, but it will be after spending a week in traveling around northern Europe. I'd like to wash a few things and would rather not use the sink.

9 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

Is there a laundry area for guests to use on the ship?  I've read some conflicting accounts.

We are sailing in August on a 7-day Norway Fjords trip, but it will be after spending a week in traveling around northern Europe. I'd like to wash a few things and would rather not use the sink.

No self service laundries on Holland America ships anymore.

• Thanks 1

@Real NHDOC Thank you the expanded perspective. Disappointing that it’s so inconsistent. We were a party of 8, 4 cabins.  2 balconies, 2 OV. I didn’t ask the OV folks for details, maybe I will. 

@fsufancc  We wash underwater during our showers. There’s a retractable clothesline in the shower. I think you can do a laundry service bag-rate but that might vary with itineraries. I try to pack with laundry in mind. Enjoy your European travels!  
m—

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did not have to ask for 2 services a day. It was just done. Chocolates and towel animals on gala nights only. He filled the ice bucket twice a day and was always happy and laughing with us. Bang and Put….deck 4 port aft. 

• Like 2

I'm seeing a lot of full ships on reports about Pinnacle class ships. HAL must be doing something right. I'd venture that HAL may have enough pricing power to raise rates a bit on those ships. Hopefully if they do, they will also reverse some of the cutbacks.

Room Stewards continue to be hired by HAL and those newbies are assigned to an experienced steward for training, especially in customer service.  When the newbie is sufficiently trained, the number of staterooms will be split so that each will have their own staterooms to maintain.

My Rotterdam Room Steward last December offered me the either/or stateroom cleaning.  When I said both, I was told that his supervisor must approve.  I insisted and got both with a smile.  Just for clarification, I told my Room Steward that evening service should be limited to putting my Daily Program on the bed and dump trash (2 minutes).

FWIW the stateroom ice buckets hold only a few cubes so I bring a small collapsible cooler that my Room Steward needs to fill only every few days.  Sodas in the cooler stay at 33 degrees where the minibar temps are 38 degrees in the rear and 43 degrees in the door. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How well stocked were the bars and duty free?  We were on the Oosterdam over Christmas and the bars got very low on bourbon.  They had missed their resupply containers in Miami and they had not caught up yet.

46 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

I'm seeing a lot of full ships on reports about Pinnacle class ships. HAL must be doing something right. I'd venture that HAL may have enough pricing power to raise rates a bit on those ships. Hopefully if they do, they will also reverse some of the cutbacks.

When we cruised back to back on N Statendam Nov-Jan, there were between 200 and 600 guests doing the same

7 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

We can easily do without the towel animals.  Unless we had children traveling with us, I think making the animals take up too much time... time that the steward could be resupplying the bathroom with clean towels.  Nothing else required at night for us, though we do like getting into a bed that has been turned down. 😉

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

Disembarked the Rotterdam on 3/8/23 so enjoyed the review of your cruise that started that day.

Having been on the NS last December, it was interesting to compare the ships, food, service etc.

Received chocolates and towel animals on dressy nights on the NS, only chocolates on the Rotterdam. Was told on both vessels that we could have morning cleaning of the cabin and evening turn down, if we wanted.

We had CO on both and really enjoy the separate CO dining areas - food was excellent as well as the service.

Most of the Lincoln Center performances were very well attended, sometimes completely full on both ships. HAL is making a big mistake with their LC change but seems they have ignored the MANY who have opposed this on CC and when onboard ships. Apparently the HAL bean counters know that at LC there are no waiters moving around trying to sell drinks so... basically, do away with it.

Glad your large group had an enjoyable time on the Rotterdam.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

On Carnival now, the stewards have ~30 cabins, but no assistant (most of the time). Also, they're down to once/daily service. On HAL, can they still provide morning (before noon!) service and a nightly turn-down?

Tom

Yes if you wish.  We chose just once daily….but they still came in.  They work so hard….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROCRUISE said:

Disembarked the Rotterdam on 3/8/23 so enjoyed the review of your cruise that started that day.

Having been on the NS last December, it was interesting to compare the ships, food, service etc.

Received chocolates and towel animals on dressy nights on the NS, only chocolates on the Rotterdam. Was told on both vessels that we could have morning cleaning of the cabin and evening turn down, if we wanted.

We had CO on both and really enjoy the separate CO dining areas - food was excellent as well as the service.

Most of the Lincoln Center performances were very well attended, sometimes completely full on both ships. HAL is making a big mistake with their LC change but seems they have ignored the MANY who have opposed this on CC and when onboard ships. Apparently the HAL bean counters know that at LC there are no waiters moving around trying to sell drinks so... basically, do away with it.

Glad your large group had an enjoyable time on the Rotterdam.

Had a blast, now onto the Koningsdam Aug 3-10, 2024!!

My Rotterdam room steward was fantastic!  The first leg of 11 days he had a helper and on the second 10 day segment he was alone (veranda cabin).  The first day they mentioned once per day service and I didn't really respond.  They came in for one major cleaning and one evening tidy up every day anyway.  Evenings they put down next day's schedule, straightened the bed linens, emptied trash, replaced ice and towels, cleaned the bathroom and put away balcony cushions.  Not much else to do really!  He was great!

~Nancy

2 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

We'll be on Rotterdam in April. What is open for lunch on embarkation day?  Is MDR open to evryone?

If it is open at all, the MDR is open to everyone on embarkation day. Sometimes it is closed for a private function, but that doesn't happen often. 
The only problem is it is open for a limited time period. 

The other options are the Lido and Dive-In on every ship, and the Dutch Café and New York Deli & Pizza on the Pinnacle class ships. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

We'll be on Rotterdam in April. What is open for lunch on embarkation day?  Is MDR open to evryone?

For my ROTTERDAM cruise in about a week, this is what is showing for lunch on embarkation 

day in the MDR.  

12D3BA97-922D-48DE-BC10-488238E0D8CD.png

On 3/19/2023 at 8:29 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks for the review !

Can you elaborate on this? (new around here, sailing on the Rotterdam in Nov.)

Tom

The LCS topic has come up a few times.  Their 'branding relationship' with LCS is ending, but I think no one is certain if the musicians (or if these types of performances) are going away.  

• Like 1

I have no need for twice-a-day service (I'm solo).  Don't need towel animals.  Don't need chocolates.  Don't need an ice bucket.

When cruising, I tend to shower in the evening then get ready for dinner, so having the cabin serviced while I'm out and about in the evening is perfect.

Having the bed made and getting fresh towels is plenty for me.  Sailing in 13 days! 😁

• Haha 1