A BIG Thank You to the Aussies & Kiwis on here

1 hour ago, JJK2008 said:

OK, I have to ask.....what is a "crow-eater" and what are "durries"??????🤔🤔🤔

The South Australian state flag features a representation of the state bird, an Australian Magpie against a yellow disk representing the sun.

Denizens of other states scurrilously suggest that it is actually a crow on a plate. Hence crow eaters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The South Australian state flag features a representation of the state bird, an Australian Magpie against a yellow disk representing the sun.

Denizens of other states scurrilously suggest that it is actually a crow on a plate. Hence crow eaters.

Thank You. I'm getting an education. This is great.😆😂🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

OK, I have to ask.....what is a "crow-eater" and what are "durries"??????🤔🤔🤔

Crow-eater refers to someone from South Australia.

A durry is a cigarette.

Every state has its own nickname for its citizens. https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2013/05/slang-what-aussies-call-other-aussies/#:~:text='Crow-eaters' for South,is simply not heard enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kellyansapansa said:

Crow-eater refers to someone from South Australia.

A durry is a cigarette.

Every state has its own nickname for its citizens. https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2013/05/slang-what-aussies-call-other-aussies/#:~:text='Crow-eaters' for South,is simply not heard enough.

Thank You....we're studying hard...I love the link.😆🤣😄

15 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

Thank You....we're studying hard...I love the link.😆🤣😄

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've heard that the entrance exam has been toned down quite a bit post-Covid. I recommend focusing on the 'animals that will kill you' and 'bizarre road sign' categories. 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Is 'durry' (for cigarette) a South Australian thing? Never heard it in over 6 decades of being Australian.

And to the OP - I don't think anyone says 'rack off' any more but if they do, it's a bit stronger than 'go away'! More like eff off.

It might be. I'm Adelaide born and bred and have been hearing it my whole life. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Is 'durry' (for cigarette) a South Australian thing? Never heard it in over 6 decades of being Australian.

And to the OP - I don't think anyone says 'rack off' any more but if they do, it's a bit stronger than 'go away'! More like eff off.

No, it is commonly used over in Newcastle area as well. I think it was a term that was bought back to AUS by our diggers..

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 10:51 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lately people have been asking me which part of the UK am I from. I blame that on having an English-born mother and a confused Australian/Kiwi accent ie Australians pick up my Kiwi accent but my Kiwi friends claim I've now got an Australian accent! I give up!

Yeah those of us who have lived in multiple countries can sometimes have a messed up accent! I moved to Sydney from Malaysia when I was 12. So I was young enough to mostly pick up an Aussie accent, but sometimes you can tell there's something a bit weird with it. 

But as a result I can adapt really quickly when understanding other accents or adapting my own speech to be more easily understood overseas. After a week or so in the US or in Asia, my own accent morphs a bit. But my wife (born here, parents born here) stubbornly refuses. She would literally rather starve to death than speak in a way that the poor waiter can understand her haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

No, it is commonly used over in Newcastle area as well. I think it was a term that was bought back to AUS by our diggers..

Ciggy, Fag or Coffin Nail, Gasper also apply.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

We hope to use every minute of our time in OZ. This is my first time, but my DW has been there before. Neither of us has been to New Zealand. My DW is hard at work planning our trip. Truly, she is better than any travel agent could be. Flight time for us will be about 24 hours. So, including stops, layovers, to/from airport that is a Loooong travel time. We're going to break-up the trip with stops in Hawaii for a few days in each direction. We will land in Sydney and spend several days seeing the sights. Next, we fly to the Gold Coast and spend time in the Surfers Paradise area. We have friends who live here and will visit with them if all goes well. From here we plan to rent a car and drive along the coast to the Sunshine Coast, with a stop in Brisbane. Eventually arriving in Mooloolaba. We have friends here and will visit with them. We'll go back to Brisbane drop the car off and fly to Cairns. Rent another car and spend some time seeing Cairns. Then head to Port Douglas for all the tourist stuff. After we've had our fill it's back to Cairns drop off the rental car and fly to Sydney. That will be November 1, 2023. Our cruise leaves from Sydney on November 2nd. Thats 2 weeks around New Zealand. At the end of the cruise, we're back in Sydney. Next up, we fly to Melbourne, rent a car and spend several days here. We do have friends here as well. Hit the road towards Port Cambell stopping along the way. Then it's a long drive eventually ending up in Adelaide. Do more tourist stuff. Drop the car off and fly back to Sydney, then back to Hawaii for several more days, then home. In all the trip will be 8 weeks. Once in a lifetime. So, any suggestions people have on our course of action, Please chime in. Thanks, in advance. Stay Safe & Healthy all.

John

Log on to the Australian forum of Trip Advisor and you will get plenty of sensible advice from the friendly mob there.  Enjoy planning your trip. 🤠

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've heard that the entrance exam has been toned down quite a bit post-Covid. I recommend focusing on the 'animals that will kill you' and 'bizarre road sign' categories. 😉

Song Come To Australia by Scared Weird Little Guys says it all....😆😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

And a few more rude names, but this is a family show, suprised the big list is still there, lol.

There is a word I learned from the Aussies we met on the river cruise. The word was "creamy" and if I am correct it referred to the native population of Australia. I'm not trying to be rude. I don't even know if this an accurate term or is even used in that manner. 

13 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Sounds Indian.  The only durry/dhurrie I know of is a rug...

Like much Australian, it is a short word with a Y or an O on the end. It may have a connection to an old brand of tobacco and would be akin to someone having a winnie.

2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

There is a word I learned from the Aussies we met on the river cruise. The word was "creamy" and if I am correct it referred to the native population of Australia. I'm not trying to be rude. I don't even know if this an accurate term or is even used in that manner. 

Rarely are slang words for indigenous peoples complimentary and this one is no exception. I had to look it up as it seems I don't mix with people who use that term. I'd advise you not to use it (and a quick google search would tell you that).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Rarely are slang words for indigenous peoples complimentary and this one is no exception. I had to look it up as it seems I don't mix with people who use that term. I'd advise you not to use it (and a quick google search would tell you that).

Thank You for the clarification. 

10 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

I have never heard that term, unless referred to cream in food. 🙂

P.S. After reading Little Fish's comment, maybe there is something I should look up on the internet. However, I wouldn't ever use a slang term that could offend.

Edited by Aus Traveller