A BIG Thank You to the Aussies & Kiwis on here

There's a lot to see on a road trip Cairns/Brisbane if you have the time

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cairns,+Queensland/Brisbane,+Queensland/@-22.2029518,144.8995901,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x697862555ba22413:0x400eef17f207860!2m2!1d145.7709529!2d-16.9203476!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b91579aac93d233:0x402a35af3deaf40!2m2!1d153.0260341!2d-27.4704528!3e0

BTW. Cairns/Brisbane is almost the same distance, by road, as Brisbane/Melbourne 1700klms

Edited by lyndarra

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The road trip Cairns to Brisbane is only for people with a lot of time. I certainly would not recommend it for overseas tourists unless they were in Australia for several months.

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The road trip Cairns to Brisbane is only for people with a lot of time. I certainly would not recommend it for overseas tourists unless they were in Australia for several months.

From OP post #73

"Fortunately, we have lots of time and options."

Just now, lyndarra said:

From OP post #73

"Fortunately, we have lots of time and options."

I don't think they would have sufficient time to make the drive from Cairns to Brisbane worthwhile. They probably mean they have a few days. Even if they had a spare week, there are better ways to spend it - Canberra, more time in Sydney, more time in SE Q'ld.

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think they would have sufficient time to make the drive from Cairns to Brisbane worthwhile. They probably mean they have a few days. Even if they had a spare week, there are better ways to spend it - Canberra, more time in Sydney, more time in SE Q'ld.

Maybe they do maybe they don't but if they have the time there's a lot more to Oz than capital cities. If I was in the US and had the time I'd do it. Why do 1000s drive Route 66, or what's left of it?

38 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Maybe they do maybe they don't but if they have the time there's a lot more to Oz than capital cities. If I was in the US and had the time I'd do it. Why do 1000s drive Route 66, or what's left of it?

We have travelled exensively in the US many times, driving across the country several times. We have also travelled a lot in Australia. I wrote travel guide books for 15 years. There is more to see in an 'around the USA' (west-east, north-south, east-west, then south-north) compared with 'around Australia'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

We have driven across the US and from Florida to Canada, as well as East Coast Canada and West Coast Canada.  These were the highlights of our American/Canadian travels.  If you have the time long distance car travel, off the beaten track, is the best way to discover a country.

Asking an opinion (I may regret this) Australia's Capital is Canberra. Simply put, is it worth the visit??? Tourist sites to Australia hardly mention it, and even ones that do, only suggest 2 days visit. Yes, it has the Parliament buildings, the lake and the War Museum (which does catch my interest) is it worth the diversion??? We're in Sydney for several days and it seems to be only about a 3 hour drive. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.    

5 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Asking an opinion (I may regret this) Australia's Capital is Canberra. Simply put, is it worth the visit??? Tourist sites to Australia hardly mention it, and even ones that do, only suggest 2 days visit. Yes, it has the Parliament buildings, the lake and the War Museum (which does catch my interest) is it worth the diversion??? We're in Sydney for several days and it seems to be only about a 3 hour drive. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.    

In my opinion (as a former travel guide writer!) Canberra is certainly worth the trip. I feel it is magnificent. The city is beautifully laid out around a large lake, Parliament house is superb (and worth going on a free tour), the War Museum is worth a visit. You could probably see all the sights in one full day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

Awesome!!!! Thank You all for the input. We're going to work our schedule to spend a day there. Thanks again. 

There is plenty to see in this beautiful city. I could spend a whole day at the War Memorial which is also a museum. It is quite fascinating. The National Art Gallery has some wonderful displays and pieces and as others have said Parliament House is worth a visit and if weather is kind, a walk around the lake is very pleasant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think it's worth visiting. The lake is lovely. The National Art Gallery often has significant major exhibitions. If you like wine there are some seriously good wineries near Canberra. 

The National Gallery is particularly nice and as far as I can see they still have the Kelly Series on display - it was a permanent feature (maybe still is) but I do recall after Nolan's death his widow re-claimed some of the works for relocation.

@JJK2008 I'm talking about a very iconic series of paintings by the artist Sidney Nolan depicting the bushranger and Australian icon, Ned Kelly. If you're at all interested in art or history or culture, it would be worth reading a little about Ned Kelly and Nolan before going to Canberra. It gives an insight into the Australian character and culture, in a way.

https://searchthecollection.nga.gov.au/object/28926?keyword=*&selectedFilters=[{"label":"Is on view","field":"isOnView","value":""}]

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

There is plenty to see in this beautiful city. I could spend a whole day at the War Memorial which is also a museum. It is quite fascinating. The National Art Gallery has some wonderful displays and pieces and as others have said Parliament House is worth a visit and if weather is kind, a walk around the lake is very pleasant.

The War Memorial is wonderful, Leigh, I agree. I'm hoping they're not going to ruin it with their multi-million dollar 'refurbishment'. It's perfect the way it is.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 11:01 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

The National Gallery is particularly nice and as far as I can see they still have the Kelly Series on display - it was a permanent feature (maybe still is) but I do recall after Nolan's death his widow re-claimed some of the works for relocation.

@JJK2008 I'm talking about a very iconic series of paintings by the artist Sidney Nolan depicting the bushranger and Australian icon, Ned Kelly. If you're at all interested in art or history or culture, it would be worth reading a little about Ned Kelly and Nolan before going to Canberra. It gives an insight into the Australian character and culture, in a way.

https://searchthecollection.nga.gov.au/object/28926?keyword=*&selectedFilters=[{"label":"Is on view","field":"isOnView","value":""}]

Thank You for the info. I'm familiar with Ned Kelly. Actually, a distant relative. Seriously, not a joke. We're most likely going to adjust our schedule, add time and visit Canberra. It would be a waste to be that close and not go. Thanks again.