A BIG Thank You to the Aussies & Kiwis on here

15 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Song Come To Australia by Scared Weird Little Guys says it all....😆😆

We saw them on Coral Princess last year. They were hilarious! They sang that song then, very, very funny!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have never heard that term, unless referred to cream in food. 🙂

P.S. After reading Little Fish's comment, maybe there is something I should look up on the internet. However, I wouldn't ever use a slang term that could offend.

Interestingly, Little Fish apparently had never heard the word before and had to look it up. After reading Little Fish's comment I did look it up on Google. A Google search in the US revealed nothing derogatory. If you specifically search the word as Australian slang, then you will get a description of a derogatory nature. So, I'm guessing the word is not widely known or used or perhaps both. In any case, I'm glad it was clarified as my intent would never be to offend.

2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Interestingly, Little Fish apparently had never heard the word before and had to look it up. After reading Little Fish's comment I did look it up on Google. A Google search in the US revealed nothing derogatory. If you specifically search the word as Australian slang, then you will get a description of a derogatory nature. So, I'm guessing the word is not widely known or used or perhaps both. In any case, I'm glad it was clarified as my intent would never be to offend.

It's a word I've not heard. Wont be looking it up.

1 hour ago, christodan said:

Lyndarra if you're from Lake Macquarie do you say "hooray" for good bye? My friend from Belmont says that and I think it's funny.

Not heard in that context. For me it's usually "bye" or, occasionally "hoo-roo" or "see ya".

Maybe it it has not yet reached Belmont South where I am.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

My brother still says "Hooroo" and we grew up in Brisbane.

I've heard of hooroo but hooray just sounds like they're happy to see you go. I knew someone else from Newcastle who also knew the term hooray, so I was wondering if it's unique to that area.

Edited by christodan

3 hours ago, christodan said:

Lyndarra if you're from Lake Macquarie do you say "hooray" for good bye? My friend from Belmont says that and I think it's funny.

Hooray or hooroo? Hooroo is definitely not endemic to Lake Macquarie. I've heard it in many places around Oz. 😉

Edited by Kellyansapansa

Just heard about the Melbourne Cup being held on November 6th. It is billed as the event that "shuts down the nation." Our cruise leaves from Sydney on November 2nd. Our tentative plan right now is to fly from Cairns to Sydney on November 1st, overnight in a hotel and then sail on November 2nd. We already have a hotel booked in Sydney for the night of November 1st but have not booked flights yet. From what I've read, the Melbourne Cup being of such magnitude in Australian the availability of flights may be limited, and prices will be much higher. Is it really necessary to book flights this far in advance because of this event???? We may have to alter our plans a bit as to where we will be by certain dates in case flying back to Sydney is not an option and we can drive the route. Sorry to say but we never heard of the Melbourne Cup. 

Don't worry about it unless you are going to be in Melbourne. In Sydney, on the day of the race, Tuesday, things might come to a halt when the race is actually being run and just after, but no more than that. Flights from Cairns to Sydney should not be effected.

Edited by cruiser3775

8 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Just heard about the Melbourne Cup being held on November 6th. It is billed as the event that "shuts down the nation." Our cruise leaves from Sydney on November 2nd. Our tentative plan right now is to fly from Cairns to Sydney on November 1st, overnight in a hotel and then sail on November 2nd. We already have a hotel booked in Sydney for the night of November 1st but have not booked flights yet. From what I've read, the Melbourne Cup being of such magnitude in Australian the availability of flights may be limited, and prices will be much higher. Is it really necessary to book flights this far in advance because of this event???? We may have to alter our plans a bit as to where we will be by certain dates in case flying back to Sydney is not an option and we can drive the route. Sorry to say but we never heard of the Melbourne Cup. 

Although the Melbourne Cup stops the nation, the vast majority of people watch it on TV. I don't think it would affect the cost or availability of flights. It would probably be harder to get hotel accommodation in Melbourne over the relevant days, but otherwise I don't think it would affect your plans.

16 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Although the Melbourne Cup stops the nation, the vast majority of people watch it on TV. I don't think it would affect the cost or availability of flights. It would probably be harder to get hotel accommodation in Melbourne over the relevant days, but otherwise I don't think it would affect your plans.

Thank You. We are looking at options. We will be in the Cairns area before the Melbourne Cup takes place (November 6, 2023). Our plan is to fly back to Sydney on November 1, 2023, overnight in Sydney and then our cruise leaves on the 2nd. We already have a hotel booked for the night of the first so the only issue will be if flights back to Sydney become an issue. We have options such as trying to book a flight from Brisbane rather than Cairns. Worst case is we adjust our schedule timewise and drive back to Sydney. That would be a little inconvenient but may actually be a good choice. We'd get to see more of the country. Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

John

48 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Cairns to Sydney is a very long drive, maybe 3 to 4 days. Do you have time for that?

Melbourne Cup should have no effect on your plans.

I agree. The Melbourne Cup will have absolutely no effect on availability of flights from Cairns to Sydney a few days before the Cup. It would be a different matter if you wanted to fly into Melbourne a couple of days before the Cup. Cup Day is a public holiday in Victoria only, but beyond that it wouldn't be noticeable. Businesses and shops don't close, although I wouldn't telephone anyone around the time the race is run.

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. The Melbourne Cup will have absolutely no effect on availability of flights from Cairns to Sydney a few days before the Cup. It would be a different matter if you wanted to fly into Melbourne a couple of days before the Cup. Cup Day is a public holiday in Victoria only, but beyond that it wouldn't be noticeable. Businesses and shops don't close, although I wouldn't telephone anyone around the time the race is run.

Correct. The nation shuts down at 3.00pm EST on the 1st Tuesday in November and then only for an hour or so. Melbourne, however, shuts down from the Friday prior when many take a 5 day long weekend.

10 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Thank You. We are looking at options. We will be in the Cairns area before the Melbourne Cup takes place (November 6, 2023). Our plan is to fly back to Sydney on November 1, 2023, overnight in Sydney and then our cruise leaves on the 2nd. We already have a hotel booked for the night of the first so the only issue will be if flights back to Sydney become an issue. We have options such as trying to book a flight from Brisbane rather than Cairns. Worst case is we adjust our schedule timewise and drive back to Sydney. That would be a little inconvenient but may actually be a good choice. We'd get to see more of the country. Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

John

You will not need to worry about flights in or out of Cairns/Sydney. The Melbourne Cup will only affect Melbournians flying out of Melbourne for a long weekend from maybe late Thursday 2nd/Friday 3rd. You will be on your ship by then. There are direct flights from Melbourne to Cairns which will be the ones that ones that will be busy.

Thank You to all of you who have replied. Your advice is invaluable. Fortunately, we have lots of time and options. Now that said, we do have specific ideas of what we want to see and where to visit, but we're flexible and will adjust our timetable and locations accordingly. The absolute worst case if flights from Cairns or Brisbane become an issue, is we adjust our timetable and drive. Certainly not our first choice but doable. Bu from reading all your comments, it doesn't appear that flights from those locations will be an issue. But if we had planned on going to Melbourne for example, we had no idea about the Melbourne Cup and would have been caught by surprise. Who knows what dilemma could have arisen in that case. Thank You all again. Greatly appreciate the advice and suggestions. 

John

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

You will not need to worry about flights in or out of Cairns/Sydney. The Melbourne Cup will only affect Melbournians flying out of Melbourne for a long weekend from maybe late Thursday 2nd/Friday 3rd. You will be on your ship by then. There are direct flights from Melbourne to Cairns which will be the ones that ones that will be busy.

Possum52 I have seen your posts on a number of threads here on CC. You do a great job of providing insight and information. Thank You for taking the time and putting forth the effort. We appreciate it.

John

• Thanks 1