Cruising solo, are there larger tables I can join in Specialty restaurants?

4 minutes ago, Traveller1212 said:

New to RCCL & cruising solo on Quantum - I know I can be seated at larger tables in MDR but wondering if there are also larger mixed group tables in Specialty restaurants or just private tables? 

Never say never, but I can't imagine anyone who is paying for a specialty restaurant wanting to sit with strangers there.

Tables for two are close together, and you can engage in conversation with your neighbors, if they are amenable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joeyancho said:

No.   Imagine you are at your local Applebee's.   Can you be seated at the same table with complete strangers?  No.  Same situation.   

Well that’s too bad, I was hoping there was a table for us widows to not have to eat alone 😉

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Traveller1212 said:

Well that’s too bad, I was hoping there was a table for us widows to not have to eat alone 😉

28 minutes ago, Traveller1212 said:

Sadly no.  

I frequently travel solo on a few different cruise lines.  It's private tables in the specialty dining venues by default and there is not really a history of asking to be seated with people.  But, I still go to speciality restaurants when I feel like it.  I have always been seated at a 2-top table by myself and I enjoy my meal.  Don't let being solo stop you from enjoying the restaurant if you wish to eat there.  I often see other solo diners doing the same thing I am doing.  In venues where I'm seated quite close to another table, it's not uncommon that they strike up conversation with me, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

• Like 8

Take advantage of the solo meetups each night. You might meet people that would be interested in dining with you. There are also lots of ways to meet others around the ship. Don’t rule out couples who might invite you to join them one night. It doesn’t need to be other solos.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

MDR and Specialties are seated by party only. 

Maybe that's the case for My Time Dining in MDR, but traditional dining they often put unrelated people or groups together at the same table, especially singles. 

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, Traveller1212 said:

I did it once. I felt staff didn't want  a "one".  Yet have found even a table for two in MDR  no problem and neighbors friendly and staff efficient and pleasant.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, Traveller1212 said:

New to RCCL & cruising solo on Quantum - I know I can be seated at larger tables in MDR but wondering if there are also larger mixed group tables in Specialty restaurants or just private tables? 

Hey @Traveller1212 I don't have an answer except it is unlikely for you but I just wanted to give you a shout out.  I'm a former Langley resident.  I occasionally miss my old hometown.  

On 3/21/2023 at 12:39 AM, Tee & Chilli said:

Try to meet others before the cruise. Join your roll call or social media group.

This is. your best advise right here.  Make a few friends here on CC and you may find a great traveling companion or two.  Also you might find a singles meet and greet aboard the ship that provides you with a few new friends.

Also, I have seen singles meet and greets in cruise planner before.  I've never been as I'm not single so I don't know what age range they attract.  Get a copy of the cruise compass when you get right away when you get onboard and keep an eye out for it.

29 minutes ago, squadron said:

I did it once. I felt staff didn't want  a "one".  Yet have found even a table for two in MDR  no problem and neighbors friendly and staff efficient and pleasant.

That's terrible that the staff made you feel that way. I've done UDP when sailing by myself and never got that feeling.  In fact, the opposite. I went back to Jamie's for the second time in my sailing and the waiter I had the first night came up and asked if he could seat me in his section again. Said I had made him laugh a lot the first night I ate there. I also had a really fun waiter in Chops when sailing alone.  Now maybe because I travel a lot for business, I'm used to dining alone and am more comfortable with it. Or maybe because years ago I worked in the restaurant business and waited on quite a few tables myself and find it easy to strike up conversation with the waitstaff. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 8:40 AM, revamp said:

Hi Beth,

Hi Beth,

Booked this with my husband months ago, but unfortunately he won’t be able to join me.  Debated to cancel, but in the end decided to try my first solo after 64 cruises.  It will be different, but have to look forward to the challenge lol!

Hoping there are a few more solos aboard so we don’t have to eat alone!  

Any other solos looking to meet up for meals or drinks?  

On 3/20/2023 at 7:03 PM, Traveller1212 said:

Hello, I'm Graham.

I'll be on that ship and my companion also won't be able to make it, so if anybody wants to get dinner or a drink at any point I'd be game.

Also, I'm looking to do some scuba diving while in Lahaina.  Any other divers aboard by chance?

I sail solo.They will try to seat you with other people travling alone,or a bunch oh couples.you have to request a table for your party like 2 or 4.I have been on alot of royal cruises and that has been my experiance.

34 minutes ago, flametsfan said:

I sail solo.They will try to seat you with other people travling alone,or a bunch oh couples.you have to request a table for your party like 2 or 4.I have been on alot of royal cruises and that has been my experiance.

Not in specialty restaurants... I've never heard of them seating a solo at a random table of strangers.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 11:22 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

My daughter and I were on Navigator last week.  They sat us in the MDR with 6 other people.  You can request a larger table.  As others have said, I hope that you meet someone and they would like to dine specialty with you.  Have fun.

4 hours ago, DonkeyXote said:

Hello, I'm Graham.

I'll be on that ship and my companion also won't be able to make it, so if anybody wants to get dinner or a drink at any point I'd be game.

Also, I'm looking to do some scuba diving while in Lahaina.  Any other divers aboard by chance?

hi Graham, you should go to the Roll Call for our cruise to ask about scuba diving 🙂

we should arrange a Solo meet up, there are a few other solos on the Roll Call 

On 3/22/2023 at 11:22 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

As a solo if I pre-pay or otherwise book a Specialty, and I show up with a second person, they would let that person pay, right? Otherwise the seat would go empty. Just wondering as you might find at peak times that someone would be happy to join you if reservations are tight.

15 minutes ago, garywatson said:

As a solo if I pre-pay or otherwise book a Specialty, and I show up with a second person, they would let that person pay, right? Otherwise the seat would go empty. Just wondering as you might find at peak times that someone would be happy to join you if reservations are tight.

If so plan on paying going rate. Might be lot higher that day for walk up then you a person prebooked/paid or on multi-meal paid plan discount. Would recommend both of you have reservation even if sharing a table