switching from Oceania to Azamara-what can I expect to be different?

susiesan

Due to Oceania shortening port times now on all of their cruises I am thinking about cruising with Azamara in the future instead. I have been on O 5 times, most recent was Dec. 2022. I was last on Azamara in 2009, I know there have been changes. I know about and have sailed on the R ships and enjoy them a lot. I cruise in either an outside cabin or occasionally a veranda if the price is good.

1. Is specialty dining still included on AZ like on O? If not, what is the cost per meal?

2. What sort of beverages are included? Is wine and beer served with meals? Are cappuccinos included an extra charge?

3. I think gratuities are included in AZ prices. True?

4. Is there 1 free shore excursion in each port included?

5. Is the Windows dinner buffet like the Terrace on O? Is there a grill and sushi every night?

I have been happy with the Oceania ships and service so far but am very upset that they keep limiting time in the ports, using the "going green" excuse. It doesn't appear that Azamara is doing this. Will I be happy with Azamara as it stands today, coming from Oceania?

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Due to Oceania shortening port times now on all of their cruises I am thinking about cruising with Azamara in the future instead. I have been on O 5 times, most recent was Dec. 2022. I was last on Azamara in 2009, I know there have been changes. I know about and have sailed on the R ships and enjoy them a lot. I cruise in either an outside cabin or occasionally a veranda if the price is good.

1. Is specialty dining still included on AZ like on O? If not, what is the cost per meal?

2. What sort of beverages are included? Is wine and beer served with meals? Are cappuccinos included an extra charge?

5. Is the Windows dinner buffet like the Terrace on O? Is there a grill and sushi every night?

I have been happy with the Oceania ships and service so far but am very upset that they keep limiting time in the ports, using the "going green" excuse. It doesn't appear that Azamara is doing this. Will I be happy with Azamara as it stands today, coming from Oceania?

1.  If you book a club continent suite it is included if not Aqualina and Prime C are charged $35 per person, packages are also available eg 3 visits across the two venues costs $85 per person

2.   Beverages include house wine, spirits, wines, beers and a range of cocktails that are served whenever venues are open free of charge.  You can upgrade to a higher end package (eg move from Gordons Gin to Tanqueray) at a cost  Cappucinos are free of charge all day

3. Yes

4. No

5. I do not know the Terrace sorry but there is only sushi on the Asian Night.  There is a separate Pool Grill open with a nice evening menu some nights as well as Windows open every night except White Night.

• Like 1

I have sailed Oceania twice, both times on the Marina. Last Oceania cruise was just before the world as we know it stopped in March of 2020, disembarking in Buenos Aíres. We had a great time as we traveled with friends we had made on a prior river cruise.

When the cruises started up again, we have sailed only on Azamara, 4 times, all in all 7 cruises with Azamara.

1. Specialty dining is not included in the fare unless you are in a suite. If you travel as you said, in a veranda or outside, the specialty dining would be extra. The difference is also that with O you can book it in advance and indicate if you want to eat by yourself or at a shared table. Azamara does not do that. You book the table for your stateroom. If you want to share a table, you’d have to arrange that with fellow travelers that you meet. Also you reserve the time and dates when you board. Same for all. Uktog indicated the cost.

2. Specialty coffees are available in the Mosaic cafe and also in the dining venues. Like on O, there is no additional cost. 
Other beverages included are soft drinks, non branded sparkling water, house wine, beer and other alcoholic beverages. If you prefer more “top shelf” alcohol and sparkling water, you would have to pay for it or buy a drink package. The Az drink package is much less costly than the O drink package.

3. Yes, as uktog said

4. No free shore excursion in any port (my experience with O was that they did not have that either). Prices are about the same as on O.

5. On O I ate in the Terrace several nights and had their grilled lobster. On Az I have never eaten in Windows or the patio at night, but as far as I know, lobster was not on the menu every night.

Az has a special feel to it; White night, Azamazing event, extremely friendly fellow travelers and approachable officers. Very friendly vibe. Crew goes above and beyond. People gather in the bars and venues way more than my experience with O, probably due to drinks being included. It is not a party cruise at all, as you know.

I certainly would not want to go on a cruise and have short times in port, Az stays very long for the most part.

I think you would do just fine coming over.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gardendog said:

Az has a special feel to it; White night, Azamazing event, extremely friendly fellow travelers and approachable officers. Very friendly vibe. Crew goes above and beyond. People gather in the bars and venues way more than my experience with O, probably due to drinks being included. It is not a party cruise at all, as you know.

I would second those comments.  Both lines are pretty good, and at the top of our list.  Azamara has less lobster, and less attitude than O.  We like the Az specialty dining rooms and the Chef's Table a bit better than the O equivalents, but someone else might feel the opposite.  We aren't big drinkers, but I suspect we come out better paying the specialty dining on AZ and getting the drinks and tips included vs the reverse on O. 

I do appreciate the larger standard cabins (and showers!) in the two larger O ships, but the R-class are pretty much physically the same on each line. 

• Like 1

We are currently on Journey, and I’ve seen our friends eating a lot of sushi, which they report is extremely good, especially at lunch (from the buffet most days). It seems to have have expanded from just the Asian Night offerings.

Beyond that, I think it’s swings and roundabouts. Both lines have nice things to offer, but it depends on what you would especially value. For us, it’s the longer time and overnights in some ports, the Azamazing Evenings, and the air of spontaneity with Azamara that gives it the edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

On Pursuit we have had sushi in Windows buffet at lunchtime on quite a few days.

Thats great to hear - looks like they have listened to feedback.  I saw large plates of sushi one day lunchtime last year and was so excited only to discover they were being carried out and taken to a table with a multigenerational family and it was a daily standing special order for them but not something they could do for everyone.  I love sushi at lunchtime so and really glad to hear this development.

Much livelier on Azamara.   I would rate their food better than Oceania (although the nightime lamb chops and shrimp and lobster on Oceania are terrific.)  The included wine and cocktails on Azamara are nice.   Our last two cruises were on Oceania (the downside of Azamara that they seem to be based in Europe now with little available on the West Coast of North America) were mediocre at best.  

• Like 1

We have been on about 10 Oceania cruises. We just love Oceania. due to Azamara having more stringent COVID protocols, we switched over to Azamara. Now we have done two Azamara cruises and havre a third booked this fall. Azamara is a very good fit for us. I find the time in ports much better. Azamara has a more friendly feel. The food however is just not as good as Oceania. Azama has good food but Oceania in my opinion has higher quality and more creative cuisine.

I think you should certainly give Azamara a try.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:46 PM, LUV2binMT said:

Any one know if Chefs Table is at regular tables or high ones.

Thanks.

===

• Like 3

Well, I am not thrilled with azamara fake sushi..next to no,fish and all rice.

oceania buffet better at night.we have no lobster,lamb chops etc. we have theme dinners .being in Asia we are having four Asian nights.not as good as being in country.

the piano player on Oceania I tend to like better. The band here is better,

shows..that a toss up.

many people tip extra.

On 3/22/2023 at 10:33 AM, uktog said:

Thats great to hear - looks like they have listened to feedback.  I saw large plates of sushi one day lunchtime last year and was so excited only to discover they were being carried out and taken to a table with a multigenerational family and it was a daily standing special order for them but not something they could do for everyone.  I love sushi at lunchtime so and really glad to hear this development.

I was able to special order sushi at lunchtime on the Journey last summer. I love sushi and have always been happy with the quality.  

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, laurieb said:

I was able to special order sushi at lunchtime on the Journey last summer.

Thanks my point is it should not be special order.  There is too much these days that used to be available to all that is now special order.  Many people do not want to go on a holiday where they have to ask to be made special - make everyone special which is what Azamara was so well known for

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, susiesan said:

I also am going to try Azamara after 27 cruises on Oceania,,I have had  few glich's with O .,but let's see booked Barcelona to Capetown in November.

Has anyone done this trip ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks my point is it should not be special order.  There is too much these days that used to be available to all that is now special order.  Many people do not want to go on a holiday where they have to ask to be made special - make everyone special which is what Azamara was so well known for

Making everything available to everyone at all times comes at a cost and I’d rather not pay extra to make that happen. I certainly don’t feel any less special by making a special request that they are happy to accommodate. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, uktog said:

59 minutes ago, Jim in OR said:

Making everything available to everyone at all times comes at a cost and I’d rather not pay extra to make that happen. I certainly don’t feel any less special by making a special request that they are happy to accommodate. 

When we sailed on Crystal, they didn't publicize everything they could do for passengers.  But whenever we asked for something, the answer was always "yes."  That to me is the definition of luxury.  

• Like 1

Interesting. It certainly doesn’t enter into my head whether it’s luxury or not based on the “hidden extras”. Maybe we are back to that debate from once before of your “cultural upbringing” - was it absolutely drummed into you take what’s been offered and be grateful or did you see others seeking something different and pattern that behaviour?

Anyway my personal preference is sushi available on several lunch days for everyone and/or added to the “tapas” selection in the living room early evening 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Interesting. It certainly doesn’t enter into my head whether it’s luxury or not based on the “hidden extras”. Maybe we are back to that debate from once before of your “cultural upbringing” - was it absolutely drummed into you take what’s been offered and be grateful or did you see others seeking something different and pattern that behaviour?

Anyway my personal preference is sushi available on several lunch days for everyone and/or added to the “tapas” selection in the living room early evening 

At the table, my Presbyterian upbringing taught me that one gratefully accepted what was offered to one if one knew what was good for one.😀

I agree with your preference.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, uktog said:

No.  In NY what is drummed into you is "if you don't ask, you won't get."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

susie...I seem to remember that you had a passport problem on the O board? I've run into a problem and wondered if you could help me? On the government website it shows the wrong date of receipt of the renewal application...the date showing is 18 days after they cashed my check. I'm having no luck with the offered phone #..always busy..or call back at another time. Could you/would you email me so I could ask you who you ended up using to get help? Thank you! LuAnn

LuAnnMPorter at g mail dot com 

20 hours ago, LuAnn said:

susie...I seem to remember that you had a passport problem on the O board? I've run into a problem and wondered if you could help me? On the government website it shows the wrong date of receipt of the renewal application...the date showing is 18 days after they cashed my check. I'm having no luck with the offered phone #..always busy..or call back at another time. Could you/would you email me so I could ask you who you ended up using to get help? Thank you! LuAnn

LuAnnMPorter at g mail dot com 

Sent you an email.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:57 PM, susiesan said:

We just got off The Pursuit (Rio to Lisbon 3/7-/23). 1) Specialty dining is not included. It's best to book a package rather than per night. I believe we paid $199 for 4 visits for 2 people .  2) Sodas and Alcoholic beverages, including "house" wine/beer/liquor are included 24/7. Cappuccinos are included but as I can't have caffein I'm not sure when/where. 3) gratuities are included but in the specialty dining rooms they give you a table to sign after dinner and it has a place to add a tip. We chose to wait until the last night and tipped the servers who went "above and beyond". 4) Azamara does not have "free" shore excursions.  Except on TransAtlantic/Pacific cruises they have an Azamazing Evening which is an excursion for everyone on board. They are excellent. In Gdansk. Poland we were taken to a special symphony in a luxurious downtown theater/opera house.  5) Windows is a inside buffet that serves B/L/D. They vary the menu and offer eggs made-to-order at breakfast. We didn't eat there very often so I'm not sure how often they serve sushi.  They did serve it at "White Night" and it was excellent (I spent a summer in Japan so I'm fairly picky about sushi).  The main dining room is called Discoveries. It is not a buffet except for a Sunday Brunch - which is extremely good. Meals are served there B/L/D. There is an outdoor Patio that grills burgers, chicken, meatless offerings, kbobs, French fries, vegetables plus there a salad bar and ice cream/frozen yogurt.  

I spoke to several guests on Azamara who have sailed on "O"  - we have not. The consensus was they are very similar except you have to buy a drink pkg on O, where the basic pkg is included on AZ, there is more nightlife after dinner on AZ (drinks are included so why not stay up 🙂 And there are no "free" daily escursions.  Because AZ "sells" themselves as "port intensive" with "longer stays" I don't think they're going to cut the time in port as O has done.  

• Like 1

I'm on Oceania Marina right now. The big difference I find between the two lines is the friendliness of the crew. People working on Azamara seem happier.

The interactive entertainment and information system here on Marina is superb. Lots of movies, music, tv to choose from. Menus from all restaurants are posted. It's easy to navigate.

Does Azamara have an app to use while onboard? Other lines post their schedules and menus online that you can see on your phone. Oceania does not have an app, they use the TV screen in the cabin which can be inconvenient if you are out and about and want to know what's going on.