B2B procedure on HAL

electro

I am doing a B2B Alaska cruise in June. Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver. I would like to know what is the procedure on turn around day in Whittier for passengers staying on for the next cruise.

Thanks

Lois

The ship will have to "zero". You will be informed as to exactly what needs to be done, but as the ship has cleared US Immigration and Customs when it departs from Vancouver, it may be very minor. The ship will give you written directions.

You will be able to go on an excursion (strongly recommend the 26 Glaciers tour) if you wish, or just stay on board.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The ship will have to "zero". You will be informed as to exactly what needs to be done, but as the ship has cleared US Immigration and Customs when it departs from Vancouver, it may be very minor. The ship will give you written directions.

You will be able to go on an excursion (strongly recommend the 26 Glaciers tour) if you wish, or just stay on board.

Thanks, I would actually like to go to Anchorage for the day so would like to know how long it takes before I get rechecked in and can leave for the day.

Right now there are no shore excursions available that bring you back to the ship. The all end with a drop off at the airport.

1 minute ago, electro said:

Thanks, I would actually like to go to Anchorage for the day so would like to know how long it takes before I get rechecked in and can leave for the day.

Right now there are no shore excursions available that bring you back to the ship. The all end with a drop off at the airport.

26 Glaciers departs from a pier immediately next door to the ship.

You do not have to zero in Whittier.  You entered the US officially when you boarded in Vancouver.  The ship  will probably offer tours for B2B .  I did this on Princess and we took the tour to Anchorage with stops at alyeska and the wildlife refuge.  They leave you at a conference/visitors center in Anchorage and you can wander on your own, to return for your bus back to Whittier.  EM

I also recommend the 26 Glaciers tour. If not offered by HAL or if one desires it somewhat cheaper than HAL it can be booked directly with the vender. Search 26 Glacier for providers site. In either case, one ends up walking to the pier next door in less than 5 minutes.

11 hours ago, electro said:

As someone who travels to Anchorage quite a bit for work, I can tell you there is nothing to do there. Do some other tour like the 26 glacier tour others have mentioned. If you spend your day in Anchorage you will be severely disappointed.

However, if you do go to Anchorage and are a fan of dive bars, make sure to visit Darwin's Theory. As far as dive bars go, it is the triple crown winner and likely hasn't been updated since the '70s.

Also, if you are a fan of cajun food and New Orleans cooking, I recommend Gumbo House. It doesnt look like much but they have the best gumbo outside of New Orleans believe it or not. 

Edited by stobe1

12 hours ago, stobe1 said:

As someone who travels to Anchorage quite a bit for work, I can tell you there is nothing to do there. Do some other tour like the 26 glacier tour others have mentioned. If you spend your day in Anchorage you will be severely disappointed.

However, if you do go to Anchorage and are a fan of dive bars, make sure to visit Darwin's Theory. As far as dive bars go, it is the triple crown winner and likely hasn't been updated since the '70s.

Also, if you are a fan of cajun food and New Orleans cooking, I recommend Gumbo House. It doesnt look like much but they have the best gumbo outside of New Orleans believe it or not. 

I have been to Anchorage a couple of times for work. My DH has never been. There is a place I want to go for lunch. If it is too much trouble we will do something else.

I looked at the 26 glaciers tour and it starts at 1:30 and returns at 6:30 which is too late for comfort for me. They do have some earlier tours I could look at.