Civitavecchia (Rome) port access

VitaminSea53

9 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

We took a cab, but we were a group of 4 and split the cost

I think we would prefer a cab so that we don’t have to shuffle luggage around.  Was it about 10 Euros pp?  It sounds like it will be easy to book a cab when we arrive in Civitavecchia the day before the cruise, if so I will forgo trying to book transport on-line ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Did the cab take you right to your ship or to the port shuttle at the entry gate?

Check with the cab driver. They will charge more to take you directly to the ship as they have to pay port charges

51 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

How do most folks get from a local hotel in Civitavecchia to the ship?  Walk - Bus - Cab …?  Cab quotes on-line are outrageous for a 7 minute ride.

The last several times we have been there our hotel arranged a shuttle bus for us.  It picked us up at the front door of the hotel and dropped us off at the front door of the cruise terminal next to our ship.  As I recall it was ten Euros per person.  It's a couple of miles from the center of town, so too far to walk.  On a previous occasion we took the train from Rome to the train station in Civitavecchia, then caught a city bus at the station that took us to the front gate of the port area, then got on the free port shuttle bus to get to our ship.

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMO just pay for the r convenience to get dropped off at the ship. I wouldn’t book ahead. Just get a cab or have the hotel arrange something. Italian hotels are pretty accommodating with things like that. 

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info. 

I was in the Prati area of Rome. It was expensive for a solo traveller (mind you everything is when you are solo) like 140 Euros but it had a lot of recommendations and I didn't want to have to deal with bus, trains or shuttles by myself so it was worth it

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 1

Got off a boat from Sicily, waited long enough to get sunburned for the bus that let us off at the gate. We then walked with our suitcases (carry on luggage only) to the train station. It was warm, not hot. To say I felt like a mess is an understatement.

After that experience, we took a private car (from Rome) that was allowed to drop us at the terminal for our TA cruise. It was very important to us to book a service that was allowed to drop us at the terminal instead of at the gate. It was worth every euro.

SInce you are staying in Civi, you need to arrange a ride early and hope it shows up.  We waited and waited for our ride.  FInally someone convinced a local to drive us to the port entrance for 20 Euro.  Then we humped the baggage to the bus for our ship.  Best to make arrangements with the hotel/B&B in advance or as soon as you arrive. 

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMO just pay for the r convenience to get dropped off at the ship. I wouldn’t book ahead. Just get a cab or have the hotel arrange something. Italian hotels are pretty accommodating with things like that. 

For the 5 times we have sailed from Civitavecchia, the hotels we stayed in we made arrangements for guests to get the port. To be quite honest the last time was pre covid and can't recall the cost but whatever it was it was definitely worth the stessless experience!!

14 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Civitavecchia actually has hotels that are worth staying at? That village struck me as somewhat unassuming.

We have stayed at both the Hotel San Giorgio and Hotel De La Ville along the waterfront in Civitavecchia several times.  They aren't the Radisson or the Marriott Marquis, but they are very nice seaside resort hotels.  There also are some nice restaurants in town, just avoid the touristy ones along the waterfront and walk a couple of blocks into town.  You can find some great seafood there.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, rachiem said:

Check with the cab driver. They will charge more to take you directly to the ship as they have to pay port charges

So if I get off a train in Civitavecchia any cab can take me direct to my ship, for a small extra fee, am I understanding that correctly?