New wi-fi plan: port wi-fi hotspot for $45

A new wi-fi plan just popped up in my cruise manager for our Glory sailing in August.  Port wi-fi for $45 per sailing (at least for our 7 day sailing with 3 ports).

It's a mobile hotspot device that allows up to 5 devices at the same time, unlimited data. Only works while ship is in a port.

Weird thing is in the description it says it's for Carnival Magic only, but I can definitely add it to my cart.

Doesn't sound like a bargain to me. There are a number of hotspots that will work in most countries. I have one that costs me about $6 per 24 hours - 1gb high speed and then unlimited at low speed, but only when I use it, so sea days need not apply.

But it does sound interesting.

This is not available on my April 16 Magic sailing, but it does appear on my October 1 Celebration sailing, as $45 per sailing.  When I click on “add to cart”, it shows up as $315!  Carnival has a few kinks to work out with this!

39 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

This is not available on my April 16 Magic sailing, but it does appear on my October 1 Celebration sailing, as $45 per sailing.  When I click on “add to cart”, it shows up as $315!  Carnival has a few kinks to work out with this!

Are you adding it to just one person, or to everyone in your booking? 

I see it, too, for a sailing on Miracle out of Looooong Beach in October.  Cell phone usage in Mexico and something like 21 other Caribbean countries is free for me, so this ain't no deal at all in my case!

Edit to add:  but I appreciate that Carnival is exploring new options in the Wi-Fi space!

Edited by MayorDrafty
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Are you adding it to just one person, or to everyone in your booking? 

One package is good for up to five devices. We have four between the two of us, so one would work. 

The reason I am interested in this is that we have cellphones through our internet provider, Spectrum. For our two phones, we pay a total of $28 a month, for up to 2 gb combined. Any data usage over that is an additional $14 per gb. We go over the 2 gb only when I use my phone extensively on the way home from cruises or road trips. Other than that, we enjoy a cell phone bill of $28. I know the $45 is probably higher than it could be, but it would just be simpler to pay it than work around it. 

2 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

One package is good for up to five devices. We have four between the two of us, so one would work. 

The reason I am interested in this is that we have cellphones through our internet provider, Spectrum. For our two phones, we pay a total of $28 a month, for up to 2 gb combined. Any data usage over that is an additional $14 per gb. We go over the 2 gb only when I use my phone extensively on the way home from cruises or road trips. Other than that, we enjoy a cell phone bill of $28. I know the $45 is probably higher than it could be, but it would just be simpler to pay it than work around it. 

I meant, when you went to add it to your cart, was it checked off for all passengers, or just one? That could explain the $315 total price, instead of $45.

50 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I meant, when you went to add it to your cart, was it checked off for all passengers, or just one? That could explain the $315 total price, instead of $45.

No, there are just two of us. Both were checked off automatically, I removed one check mark and verified it was for just one person. 

Seven night cruise. 45 x 7 = 315. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
8 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

A new wi-fi plan just popped up in my cruise manager for our Glory sailing in August.  Port wi-fi for $45 per sailing

Gonna pass on that.

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

No, there are just two of us. Both were checked off automatically, I removed one check mark and verified it was for just one person. 

That needs to be fixed then.  I know they need money, but charging for sea days when it only works on port days!

On 3/26/2023 at 10:41 AM, ZoeyVictoria said:

Wait, is it $45 per day or $45 per sailing. $45 per day is an incredible rip off. $45 per sailing may not be depending on how many port days you have. To use unlimited international data on my cell phone plan is $10 per day; but that is only for one person. For 4 people to get use for 3-4 days is a decent deal. 

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Wait, is it $45 per day or $45 per sailing. $45 per day is an incredible rip off. $45 per sailing may not be depending on how many port days you have. To use unlimited international data on my cell phone plan is $10 per day; but that is only for one person. For 4 people to get use for 3-4 days is a decent deal. 

Per day???  Oh HAAAAAIIIIL no.  Just noticed it has disappeared from the list of Internet plans for my booking.

I'll be surprised if many people purchase this (if in fact it ever goes live) since more and more cell phone plans offer data abroad and many phones can serve as hot spots.  In my case my T-Mobile plan gives me free data while travelling, and my daughter's AT&T plan gives her data for $10 (if I remember correctly).

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I am sure it was $45 per sailing and IT needs to make some changes.  I have very limited data with my $14 per month cell phone plan and don’t mind paying $45 for unlimited use at ports.  Easier all around for me.