Fan is considered a prohibited item, including battery operated fans

shof515

NCL must be following Cruise Critic ..... see updated Prohibited Items list

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

#31 now reads

31. All types of fans with the exception of small electrical and battery-operated fans. *Please note, these fans are subject to confiscation by the ship’s security team for inspection and approval.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

Well, that's a step in the right direction but "small" leaves a lot of room for interpretation.  If they would explain WHY the restriction was put in place, it would help people know what specific things to avoid.

I'm guessing they're getting a LOT of pushback.

• Like 2

I had commented earlier that 20" box fan would seem inappropriate.  Perhaps that is what they are alluding too.   If so why not specify a size?   It seems ridiculous to me that someone would try to take a 20" fan aboard but I've seen just about everything in my lifetime.  I can say with a great deal of confidence these would be banned. https://bigassfans.com/commercial/    🙂 🙂 

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kjquilts said:

#31 now reads

31. All types of fans with the exception of small electrical and battery-operated fans. *Please note, these fans are subject to confiscation by the ship’s security team for inspection and approval.

My eyes actually welled up. What welcome news. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kjquilts said:

#31 now reads

Well I guess that ends this discussion..........thank you for posting this! Yahoo! 

12 hours ago, kjquilts said:

#31 now reads

Excellent (or Fantastic)!   For whatever reason NCL changed the rule, makes all the difference on cruising for us.  Now, for those of you, including the one smart remark, who don't understand this issue's importance to many of us, my wife truly has a need for a small fan in the cabin, can't function comfortably without it.  And when she is out and around, she will always have a fold out fan in her hand.  That's the way it it.  I can now tell her we can cruise again.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kjquilts said:

#31 now reads

We cruise in July. Hopefully this will be specified a little more as the months go by. This is good though. The ban was going to be a serious damper to the cruise for my stepson as he needs a fan to sleep

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acct1975 said:

We cruise in July. Hopefully this will be specified a little more as the months go by. This is good though. The ban was going to be a serious damper to the cruise for my stepson as he needs a fan to sleep

I'm cruising in 19 days... hopefully it's clarified soon!  Otherwise, I'm just gonna pack my "cruise fan" and hope for the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vulcan97 said:

I'm cruising in 19 days... hopefully it's clarified soon!  Otherwise, I'm just gonna pack my "cruise fan" and hope for the best.

Well to keep yourself from worring. Pack your fan and take a copy of the new rule with you, just in case there's an issue about it. 

• Like 1

Glad that NCL appears to be moving in the right direction. However, even discussing this seemingly minor issue just solidifies why many people (myself NOT included) will not take a cruise or even consider it. There are SO MANY rules and prohibitions cruise lines impose that you don't have to deal with at land-based resorts. That is why so many people opt for all-inclusive resorts instead. I cannot get my family or friends to cruise because they don't want to be told what to do at every turn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I could find all-inclusive resorts that had the same value and consistent level of service as a cruise, I'd be all over it.  I LOVE all-inclusives but I'm "ballin' on a budget", so cruising is the best bang for my buck (especially since I'm within driving distance of a cruise port).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruiselife88 said:

I cannot get my family or friends to cruise because they don't want to be told what to do at every turn.

I'd love to know where they're going. Both of the AI resorts we went to had plenty of rules. I'm not sure, but I've never considered the rules in force on cruise ships to be any barrier to having a good time. And the same goes for all-inclusives. They've been fairly reasonable.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

You tell me. I’ll wait. 

I guess you will need to be very careful and babysit your charging phone. Oh wait....half the ship will be charging their phones.....Oh my! I will have to add a "fire extinquisher" to my packing list. :classic_tongue:

On 4/3/2023 at 4:13 PM, kjquilts said:

It does make me wonder what kind of situation prompted them to add fans to the prohibited items list in the first place.....   Someone claiming a drone is a fan?   Big ol box fan?   Vornado?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

Now we just need to know what NCL considers a small fan. 

I'm sure they deliberately left it vague so it's up to their discretion. If they said something like "no larger than 9" in diameter," someone would immediately say "that's not fair! I need at least a 10" fan or I'll die," etc. Personally, I think it's smart when companies deliberately write rules that give them wiggle room.

Okay, so now we just need reports from folks going on current or upcoming cruises this month to report on the fan type and size they packed and whether NCL confiscated it. Eventually, we'll get enough data to figure out the perfect fan for cruise ships.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Step 1: Prohibit fans

Step 2: Reduce air conditioning allowance

Step 3: For only $29.95 per day you can have unlimited A/C in your cabin.

7 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Shhhhh ---- don't give them any ideas!

I would gladly pay extra, probably an extra $100 per week, to know I have the crispiest cold room possible, say 60 degrees F. If that could be a paid for extra, with a guarantee, I'm all for it! 

• Like 1