Fan is considered a prohibited item, including battery operated fans

shof515

3 hours ago, 3OfDiamonds said:

@cruiseny4life Do you care to share what you find so funny about my comment?

"also, I have lots of surface area 😅 which takes awhile to dry off after a shower unless I have a fan or two going."

Yikes! I didn't know I had to explain my emoticons. I'm a fatty 300 pound burger, so appreciate that the struggle....you know, the deep dark areas that don't see sunshine need awhile to dry off. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

A cheap electrical device probably made in China?
Can you say fire hazard boys and girls??
I thought you couldn’t.

Umm....a USB rechargable battery is NOT electrical. It is powered the same way your cell phone is powered. Would you like them to ban cell phones too? :classic_sleep: Oh and most cell phones are made in China....so there's that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

A cheap electrical device probably made in China?
Can you say fire hazard boys and girls??
I thought you couldn’t.

dear ann landers: i have a battery operated razor, hair trimmer, toothbrush and alarm clock, as well as several other battery operated "electrical devices." they are all cheap and they were all made in china. my friends say they are fire hazards, but i just don't think so. should i unfriend them and continue to use these devices? or should i stop using these devices and remain friends? please advise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Umm....a USB rechargable battery is NOT electrical. It is powered the same way your cell phone is powered. Would you like them to ban cell phones too? :classic_sleep: Oh and most cell phones are made in China....so there's that. 

Hmmmm…I wonder why they banned them then??
Perhaps they’re concerned with wind damage to your cabin, or it may be that the soft hum disturbs your neighbors.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UKstages said:

dear ann landers: i have a battery operated razor, hair trimmer, toothbrush and alarm clock, as well as several other battery operated "electrical devices." they are all cheap and they were all made in china. my friends say they are fire hazards, but i just don't think so. should i unfriend them and continue to use these devices? or should i stop using these devices and remain friends? please advise.

Unfriend them.

They’re preventing you from exercising your God-given right to use whatever you please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, uneamie said:

You tell me. I’ll wait. 

34 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You tell me. I’ll wait. 

Surely YOU will not be bringing your cell phone then!  

We've brought these little fans several times.  You charge them a bit during the day while you're in your cabin showering (as you do your cell phone).  

They have no batteries or electric hooked to them at night when we use them.  The worst that can happen is they will shut off before we wake up if they don't get a full charge.

The charger is the same one we use for our iPhones.

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What?!  (and I generally got A's in science classes)🤣

I think you know what I mean. It is plugged in to recharge, not to use. If they are going to ban things that are electrical then I guess they will need to ban electric shavers, Cpak machines,  take out the hair dryers, the TV, the lights and remove all the recepticals.........

On 3/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, shof515 said:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

scroll down to the bottom of the page and you see this:

31. All types of fans including handheld, battery operated, electric etc.

for those who are cruising soon and require a fan to sleep or help airflow in the cabin be prepared for port security to give you hard time about this 

I have taken a battery operated fan with me on every cruise I have been on, including the Getaway at the beginning of March.   I have never had a problem, nor have I hid it from the room attendant.  

• Like 1

This is clearly being done in the name NCLs sail and sustain initiatives. Notwithstanding, maybe NCL will soon be offering in room fan rentals. You heard it here first, lol. 😁😁

An electric fan could be $9.95 per person per day based on double occupancy plus a 20% mandatory service charge.

Battery operated fans could be $7.95 per person per day based on double occupancy plus a 20% mandatory service charge. Rechargeable batteries can also be rented for $.69 per person per day plus a 20% mandatory service charge, for our convenience.

For valued Haven guests, ceiling fans are being installed.

Fans can be selected as an add on in the app up until three days prior to sailing. However, if you add a fan to your cart and don't pay for it, your cruise will be cancelled and no refunds will be issued. 

The new policy is subject to change at any time at NCLs discretion. Fans subject to availability. If the policy does change or fan availability is limited, customers will not be entitled to a refund.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I have also taken a fan on cruises for many years.  I have the battery type that use a USB port to charge and also another one that uses only D batteries, so no cord no recharging.  I guess I will bring them both on my next cruise and hopefully they'll let me keep one or both if there's an issue.

I honestly don't know if I'd be able to sleep without the fan.

• Like 1

NCL!  Give a clear and non silly "why" a small USB fan is now prohibited.  And, no one size fits all BS.  I'm not the brightest kid in town by any means.  So I'm probably just overlooking a very obvious and significant reason they should not be operated on a cruise ship.  But, having used one for years, even though they are made in China by little school kids, I personally just don't see the issue.  Maybe it's like not bringing on you own personal water or soft drinks anymore because they constitute a threat to the safety of the ship, oh wait, that turned out to be a profit issue, but clue me in.  I'm dense, so explain it clearly please.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

"also, I have lots of surface area 😅 which takes awhile to dry off after a shower unless I have a fan or two going."

Yikes! I didn't know I had to explain my emoticons. I'm a fatty 300 pound burger, so appreciate that the struggle....you know, the deep dark areas that don't see sunshine need awhile to dry off. 

It's ok Cruiseny4life. I thought it was funny too. And because the commenter included their own smiling emoticon I assumed it was a bit of joke on themselves. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Are you able to request a fan?

Well, you can request anything, sure!

Maaaaybe if you're in the Haven and you request in advance they could come up with something. I've never heard of fans being available, though. The only electrical thing I can think of is an extension cord, sometimes you can get those. 

10 hours ago, roger001 said:

NCL!  Give a clear and non silly "why" a small USB fan is now prohibited.  And, no one size fits all BS.  I'm not the brightest kid in town by any means.  So I'm probably just overlooking a very obvious and significant reason they should not be operated on a cruise ship.  But, having used one for years, even though they are made in China by little school kids, I personally just don't see the issue.  Maybe it's like not bringing on you own personal water or soft drinks anymore because they constitute a threat to the safety of the ship, oh wait, that turned out to be a profit issue, but clue me in.  I'm dense, so explain it clearly please.  

I just submitted feedback about my displeasure with this change and asked why even USB fans are banned.

I'll let you know if I hear anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the difference between a battery operated or electric fan and any other battery operated or electric item? Digital cameras, travel alarm clock, headphones, flashlights etc. why would fans be singled out over all the other battery or electrical items people bring, from a safety standpoint? 

• Like 4

Well the way I see it is I have taken my usb fan on every cruise now for over 5 years. I am not about to stop taking it on. I will wrap it in clothing in my suitcase and take one that I don't mind losing if they happen to check it. I have Horrible hot flashes and a fan is a necessity to be remotely comfortable at night. 

Edited by Rainbowgirl69
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 6:49 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

I know it’s prohibited, but the’ll never catch me and I NEED my personal fan!!
No matter that it’s a safety issue that potentially impacts everyone else on the ship.

Why is it a safety issue? When they have a really weird rule like this people ought to be told why. If they decide to ban blue t-shirts or Crest toothpaste, I want to know why. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fans run on motors which do make them different from other electrical devices. It's possible that the ship's electrical systems aren't rated to safely handle the inductive load from X number of cabins. The battery and USB powered fan is probably just collateral damage because it's easier to ban all fans than it is to allow certain types and slow everything down because they have to inspect and make a judgement call.

• Like 3