Fan is considered a prohibited item, including battery operated fans

shof515

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

scroll down to the bottom of the page and you see this:

31. All types of fans including handheld, battery operated, electric etc.

for those who are cruising soon and require a fan to sleep or help airflow in the cabin be prepared for port security to give you hard time about this 

• Like 1

We've been bringing USB chargeable fans, small ones like Calico above, for the past couple years.

We have never had an issue and usually pack them in our carry on luggage, so they go through the security check on the conveyor with us.  No one has ever said anything about them.

Wonder if the chargeable ones are allowed (though they say "all types"), or if this is something new....

Edited by Sea saw 56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

I brought a usb chargeable 5” fan on Breakaway in Feb. No issues. 

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We've been bringing USB chargeable fans, small ones like Calico above, for the past couple years.

We have never had an issue and usually pack them in our carry on luggage, so they go through the security check on the conveyor with us.  No one has ever said anything about them.

Wonder if the chargeable ones are allowed (though they say "all types"), or if this is something new....

This is something that looks to have just been added very recently.  It will probably be one of those things that some people will be able to get on with them and others will have them taken and it will depend on what port and whos checking until the word spreads to port security etc.

Edited by jimsig
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, davencl said:

I would really like to know why?  Also what is defined as handheld?  Like Two Wheels Only posted. 🙂 

I do understand a 20" box fan might be an issue....

I'm sure what they mean are those battery operated fans that are small enough where you could possibly consider holding it in your hand.  Might be a stretch, but I'm sure someone would try to define it as such.

I think it is a recent addition.  Someone, somewhere tried to bring a big fan on board.  NCL said no.  And, instead of trying to split hairs, they just banned all electric fans.  Can you get away with bringing a small one on board?  Maybe.  Their screeners are sometimes lax.  Then again, I've run into some surly security people on the cruise lines who aren't very friendly, customer focused or willing to let things "slide".

I guess you can try.  What's the worst that could happen?  It gets confiscated.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Battery operated fans especially those power by lithium batteries and then those

powered by rechargeable batteries would be prime suspect.

USB powered devices should be no-problemo - extreme low voltage and having

nothing to do with the ships electrical grounding !

Agree. 

But, would you think the security people would take the time to differentiate one from the other?  I'm thinking NCL is trying to make a blanket policy to keep any potential confusion to a minimum.  If it's an electric fan, it ain't getting on.

• Like 2

How good is the circulation in Club Balcony “suites”?  I normally have a fan (or two) on all the time for cooling and sensory issues; also, I have lots of surface area 😅 which takes awhile to dry off after a shower unless I have a fan or two going.  I have two mini Vornado fans that don’t really look like fans when the fan part is facing down; I don’t really want to risk confiscation, but I really do need a fan or two to feel comfortable, and I don’t think anything USB-powered is going to cut it 👀

Edited by 3OfDiamonds
  • Haha 3

I have 2 USB powered fans I just bought for our cruise. They are kind of tiny. I am packing them, maybe I will just pack one, in our carry on bags. I will leave them in the small box they came in....not likely they will see what they are in a tiny square box during xray but who knows. I just think it's pretty petty to ban a USB tiny fan...for what purpose? . I have hot flashes and my husband snores. I need this little fan. 

• Like 3

We usually use a fabric shower curtain to divide the room for privacy at night and the fan helps keep the temperature more even, plus I like the air movement. As others have said this was not an issue before but sure looks like it now. I got a new fan recently and am not chancing it on the Prima coming up. Have to watch for the pile of fans next to the booze and such at security. Good catch on the updated security list OP.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Battery operated fans especially those power by lithium batteries and then those

powered by rechargeable batteries would be prime suspect.

USB powered devices should be no-problemo - extreme low voltage and having

nothing to do with the ships electrical grounding !

Enter the “Let me do a personal interpretation of this and bend it to fit my needs” approach. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, uneamie said:

I have 2 USB powered fans I just bought for our cruise. They are kind of tiny. I am packing them, maybe I will just pack one, in our carry on bags. I will leave them in the small box they came in....not likely they will see what they are in a tiny square box during xray but who knows. I just think it's pretty petty to ban a USB tiny fan...for what purpose? . I have hot flashes and my husband snores. I need this little fan. 

I know it’s prohibited, but the’ll never catch me and I NEED my personal fan!!
No matter that it’s a safety issue that potentially impacts everyone else on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Enter the “Let me do a personal interpretation of this and bend it to fit my needs” approach. 🙄

WARNING: SARCASM ALERT, NOT SERIOUS: "I want to have everything done my way when I cruise and if the cruise line won't bend the rules for me, they're a bunch of meanies, I'll never cruise them again and everyone else should boycott them until they change their minds or they go bankrupt." 🤣

Yeah, we got it. Personally, and this part IS serious, I don't see the big deal with battery powered/USB powered small fans, either. But there must be some reason NCL is worried about them, so I'd ask them directly rather than assuming fellow passengers know why. Maybe someone on a recent or current sailing can ask about this policy and share it with us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I imagine NCL has a huge room filled with confiscated fans then.  I'm sue that most long time cruisers, or new ones, do not monitor this and making an assumption the small hand held battery fans are ok like they have always been in the past.  We've carried them for my wife on 25 cruises so far, and I never would have now checked to see if they are prohibited.  Realizing this sounds silly, but no fan, no cruise.  It's a must have for my wife.  

Edited by roger001
  • Like 3

I'm embarking the Joy this Saturday, I will have two small USB fans with me...I will advise if they make the gauntlet.  By small, I mean maybe 4 inches max in diameter...one may be smaller than that.

IF they take them, I will as for one on board...we'll see how that works if necessary. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

...I don't see the big deal with battery powered/USB powered small fans, either. But there must be some reason NCL is worried about them, so I'd ask them directly rather than assuming fellow passengers know why...

NCL is likely not worried about them at all. they are worried about something else. but, as mentioned up thread, they probably just find it easier to ban all fans, rather than get into an argument with passengers over the merits or safety of individual fans.

we have seen this play out with a number of rules and policies. they are poorly written, enacted rather thoughtlessly, with nobody at NCL seeming to understand the full implications of their statement. people complain and then NCL quite often backtracks saying, "oh, that's not what we meant, here's the new policy." and whatever new policy they issue may clarify that small battery or USB operated hand held fans are permitted.

but, for now, it seems that they are not.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

WARNING: SARCASM ALERT, NOT SERIOUS: "I want to have everything done my way when I cruise and if the cruise line won't bend the rules for me, they're a bunch of meanies, I'll never cruise them again and everyone else should boycott them until they change their minds or they go bankrupt." 🤣

Yeah, we got it. Personally, and this part IS serious, I don't see the big deal with battery powered/USB powered small fans, either. But there must be some reason NCL is worried about them, so I'd ask them directly rather than assuming fellow passengers know why. Maybe someone on a recent or current sailing can ask about this policy and share it with us.

Yeah…whatever their reasoning, if the security people have been informed not to let fans through the X-Ray machine, they’ll pull you aside and confiscate them (it).  Do I understand it?  Does it make sense?  To me?  No!  I don’t care if someone uses a fan in their cabin.  But apparently NCL has an issue.  So be it.

Maybe people were brining them out to the pool and there was fear of getting shocked if wet?  Maybe they’re fearful people will stick their hands in the fans?  Who knows?

Just spit balling here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just spit balling here.

Yeah, that's why I'd rather hear from someone AT NCL, because people's opinions here on Cruise Critic, including mine, are just speculation. Nothing wrong with that, but speculation isn't fact.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 3OfDiamonds said:

How good is the circulation in Club Balcony “suites”?  I normally have a fan (or two) on all the time for cooling and sensory issues; also, I have lots of surface area 😅 which takes awhile to dry off after a shower unless I have a fan or two going.  I have two mini Vornado fans that don’t really look like fans when the fan part is facing down; I don’t really want to risk confiscation, but I really do need a fan or two to feel comfortable, and I don’t think anything USB-powered is going to cut it 👀

@cruiseny4life Do you care to share what you find so funny about my comment?

8 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I know it’s prohibited, but the’ll never catch me and I NEED my personal fan!!
No matter that it’s a safety issue that potentially impacts everyone else on the ship.

Wanna give me a tiny hint as to how a USB powered fan impacts anyone else on the ship? I'll wait!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roger001 said:

I imagine NCL has a huge room filled with confiscated fans then.  I'm sue that most long time cruisers, or new ones, do not monitor this and making an assumption the small hand held battery fans are ok like they have always been in the past.  We've carried them for my wife on 25 cruises so far, and I never would have now checked to see if they are prohibited.  Realizing this sounds silly, but no fan, no cruise.  It's a must have for my wife.  

It's sort of a must have for me as well.....I won't be canceling my cruise over it, but I will definately rethink cruising for our vacation in the future if ALL cruise lines have this policy. It is difficult to get a decent nights sleep with hot flashes and no fan. I can live with it but I don't want to. It's unpleasant. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Wanna give me a tiny hint as to how a USB powered fan impacts anyone else on the ship? I'll wait!

A cheap electrical device probably made in China?
Can you say fire hazard boys and girls??
I thought you couldn’t.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2