Fan is considered a prohibited item, including battery operated fans

shof515

On 3/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, shof515 said:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

scroll down to the bottom of the page and you see this:

31. All types of fans including handheld, battery operated, electric etc.

for those who are cruising soon and require a fan to sleep or help airflow in the cabin be prepared for port security to give you hard time about this 

Not surprised except took this long to Ban them. I'd Bet won't be long for other Lines to follow. Do feel for those this effects, Step Father couldn't Sleep w/o airflow & noise so understand. That said my Father In Law died in House Fire caused by small fan my 10yr old Niece left on in her Bedroom after she went to School.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruiser_2100 said:

This is INSANE, a FAN......

I just called them and got an email for corporate.

rdteam@ncl.com

I just emailed them and told them how I feel about it, and I can see a lot of other people feel the same way.....

That's a good idea, if they have a good explanation, at least we'll know why. And if not, they'll know how some folks feel. Either way, I always think it's a good idea to ASK a company why a particular policy is in place rather than have endless speculation that does nothing but frustrate people.

• Like 2

I think if you bring something against the rules that isn't inherently dangerous, if it's a cruise that returns to the same port they can put the item in a "naughty room" and then give it to you after the cruise. Or heck, maybe they store it in a naughty room on the ship.

I think most of the lines do that. I remember walking by a table on one of my recent cruises (though I think it was Celebrity) where there were confiscated items waiting for people to pick them up. I remember distinctly because there were a lot of confiscated irons and I remember thinking "who brings an iron on a cruise???" I mean, I don't even use one at home! 

Edited by rabidstoat
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, davencl said:

Just to add more speculation.  Are they going to remove hair dryers?  They contain fans.  Perhaps those needing fans can figure out a way to rig the hair dryers?  🙂 🙂 

My guess would be they'd charge you for breaking the hair dryer if you did that.

Not sure about this, but I think the hair dryers in the cabins are made to NCL's specifications.  Probably true of all cruise lines that have them in their cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davencl said:

Just to add more speculation.  Are they going to remove hair dryers?  They contain fans.  Perhaps those needing fans can figure out a way to rig the hair dryers?  🙂 🙂 

You're missing a key element here: liability. If NCL installs the hair dryers, they're responsible in case something happens (barring obvious misuse by a guest). But NCL does NOT own battery operated fans, hence they don't want the liability in case something happens. Personally, I don't think these little fans are a hazard, but they certainly aren't NCL's property.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

A cheap electrical device probably made in China?
Can you say fire hazard boys and girls??
I thought you couldn’t.

As much as I'd like to think "I'm sure everything will be fine", I then remember the cheap universal laptop charger I bought that started smoking and then caught fire...

• Like 4

This is a shame.  I loved my handheld fan, displayed here at the outside Mojito bar on the Bliss this month.  It was stinking hot and I work in the arctic so was struggling!

But it is pretty much a 'their ship, their rules' kind of thing.  I'll leave it at home from now on.

IMG_1366.JPG

On 3/29/2023 at 10:24 PM, IronRobi said:

Fans run on motors which do make them different from other electrical devices. It's possible that the ship's electrical systems aren't rated to safely handle the inductive load from X number of cabins. 

Electric razors likely have motors of some sort.  Same for electric toothbrushes.

I called the accessibility department and asked if a note or prescription would work. The woman was very polite as she explained that NCL does not provide them and one cannot be brought on board since they are now prohibited. We talked about alternatives. I will be bringing cooling packs to keep in the mini fridge. I'll probably be out on the balcony naked at 3 am catching a breeze, but it is what it is!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

I'll probably be out on the balcony naked at 3 am catching a breeze, but it is what it is!

I've done it, nothing like sitting bare assed naked on your balcony Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Electric razors likely have motors of some sort.  Same for electric toothbrushes.

Those would both be battery operated. At least I've never seen an electric toothbrush that needs to be plugged in to run LOL Battery operated is different because the load is run off the battery and the power just charges the battery. It would be exactly the same thing with battery operated fans, but then they get into having to inspect and make a judgement call on each and every fan that gets brought on board which would take a significant amount of time and manpower. Plus if they confiscate one that should have been allowed then it negatively impacts guest experience, etc. etc. etc. So it would just be easier to ban them all unfortunately.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Then ban those, too! 😉 Seriously, I have an electric toothbrush that I bring and charge in the bathroom, but maybe not for much longer, by the looks of things. 

5 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I would suggest that anyone else here on these boards who are unhappy with this also write an e-mail.

I would be willing to do that provided I understood their reasoning. So far, no one has said WHY NCL is doing this, only that they object to it. If their answer is satisfactory, there's no point in complaining.

I am a long time NCL cruiser and currently Diamond Latitude.  I read recently on cruise critic that NCL has now started added all types of fans to their prohibited list.  I would respectfully ask that NCL Corporate re-evaluate this decision or at least amend it.

I take a small battery (using D batteries) operated fan or USB fan with me on vacation  I have done this for the past 10 years since a entered menopause.  I also use a fan at home and have not slept without a fan blowing on me for 10 years.  I will not be able to sleep without a fan which means that I will no longer be able to go on NCL cruises.

I can understand banning electric fans, but to ban battery operated or USB operated fans makes no sense and will certainly impact many people's cruising decisions.  Please rethink this decision or at least allow those of us who need a fan to sleep to be allowed to at least bring a battery or USB operated fan onboard with a doctor's note.   There are many of us for who a fan is a medical necessity in order to sleep.

Here is the e-mail I sent basically I'm just asking them to re-evaluate no matter what prompted them to make the decision in the first place. 
  • Like 7