Fan is considered a prohibited item, including battery operated fans

shof515

8 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Which would be a greater threat to safety, 2000 fans(prohibited) or 2000 curling irons (permitted)?

I have no knowledge of what criteria, or why, NCL has used to justify banning fans, so no comparison can be made.  As for hair care appliances, the insurers have accepted the risk of allowing them to be brought onboard, balanced against the objections that would be made if they were banned as well, and built the risk into the premiums, just like all insurers do.  I am assuming that the fan restriction is based on a risk determination balanced by a cost (premium increase) determination.

If it was about electricity demand, they could really save money by turning the AC temps up a couple of degrees and allowing fans.

6 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Thanks.  That's a good catch.  Too bad NCL's rules and regs are so confusing and contradictory.  If you simply search for "prohibited items" you get an absolute rule, but if you look further like you did, you find exceptions which say exactly the opposite.  Thanks for digging further.

Virtually every cruise line has the same ban on appliances with heating elements, all with the exception for hair care appliances.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, uneamie said:

USB rechargeable fans do not get "hot". They do not use any more electricity than your cell phone to charge them. Maybe I will turn the hairdryer on "cool" and face towards our bed....:classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_wink:

I'm wondering whether this would work.  As a menopausal woman the thought of not having a fan I can quickly turn on to help with my hot flushes is worrying  (AC is no good as I'm not hot all the time).  I wonder whether this could be deemed as sex discrimination 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, pinklady65 said:

I'm wondering whether this would work.  As a menopausal woman the thought of not having a fan I can quickly turn on to help with my hot flushes is worrying  (AC is no good as I'm not hot all the time).  I wonder whether this could be deemed as sex discrimination 😂 

Hmm...funny but actually not a bad idea to send to "corporate" and let them know you are more than capable of using you monopausal hormones to get loud about this. LOL 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Which would be a greater threat to safety, 2000 fans(prohibited) or 2000 curling irons (permitted)?

Which would be a greater threat to safety, 2000 fans or a dozen menopausal women who haven't slept? 

• Haha 14

I love cruising NCL but have taken my last cruise with them until they reverse course on this. I predict it won’t take long for that to happen due to the outcry, much like the e-muster drills. Funny that a nearly bankrupt cruise line is doing things to alienate its customers even further. “Thank heaven Norwegian banned fans because they’ve caused SO MANY cruise ship fires over the years. Now I feel safe!” - said no one, ever.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

On 3/30/2023 at 4:57 PM, Cruiser_2100 said:

This is INSANE, a FAN......

I just called them and got an email for corporate.

rdteam@ncl.com

I just emailed them and told them how I feel about it, and I can see a lot of other people feel the same way.....

So how many of us are sending the e-mail .. it’s honestly bonkers.

I bring multiple electronic devices with me along with backup batteries and portable phone chargers. The Samsung wireless charger I have at home has a fan built into it to keep the phone from overheating.  I don’t see how they can be sure every other electrical or electronic item brought onboard could be safer than a mini fan. Maybe require that everything has a CE/Kite/or equivalent quality mark. There was a big issue with hoverboards when they first came to market, they were in such demand that an awful lot of knock-offs without proper certification came into Ireland and caused a fair few house fires. 

6 hours ago, cruiselife88 said:

I love cruising NCL but have taken my last cruise with them until they reverse course on this. I predict it won’t take long for that to happen due to the outcry, much like the e-muster drills. Funny that a nearly bankrupt cruise line is doing things to alienate its customers even further. “Thank heaven Norwegian banned fans because they’ve caused SO MANY cruise ship fires over the years. Now I feel safe!” - said no one, ever.

Your last cruise because of a fan? I am sure that NCL management does not care. Buh bye - there will be someone to fill your berth no problem. 

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on Bliss at Thanksgiving and they confiscated my fan at embarkation. At that time, fans were not on the banned list.

When I went to guest services, she said that it needed to be "tested" by and engineer. Okay. whatever. Anyways, I guess it was never tested since it was never delivered. I picked it up on the last day.

I just got this information from the "Chat with an Agent".
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:30:17 PM): Hello D. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Montiqua. I would be happy to assist you today. 
D (4/2/2023, 5:30:48 PM): Hi, I have a question about prohibited items. 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:31:32 PM): Hello, D. I am happy to help today. How can I assist you? 
D (4/2/2023, 5:32:03 PM): I have a question about prohibited items, specifically fans. 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:32:12 PM): How can I assist you? 
D (4/2/2023, 5:33:00 PM): Just to clarify, does this cover a 4 inch USB charged table fan? 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:34:04 PM): This covers all fans. 
D (4/2/2023, 5:34:19 PM): Thought so. May I ask why? 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:34:40 PM): Prohibited items are put in place for the safety of the guests and the crew. I apologize for the inconvenience. 
D (4/2/2023, 5:34:55 PM): That's fine. Thanks. 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:35:30 PM): You are welcome.  Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
D (4/2/2023, 5:35:40 PM): No thank you. 
Montiqua (4/2/2023, 5:35:48 PM): You are welcome. Please ensure to visit our travel requirements by country page at: www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country for the most up to date protocols for your itinerary. If there is nothing else I can assist you with at this time, but you think of something later, you are more than welcome to reach back out to us. Thank you for using Norwegian Cruise Line Live Chat. Have a great day! 

Edited by dlVlasek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Your last cruise because of a fan? I am sure that NCL management does not care. Buh bye - there will be someone to fill your berth no problem. 

Ugh...there's always one in the bunch! :classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, uneamie said:

I didn't check the list.....but I'm guessing "heating pads" are out too! I use one every single day for bad back issues. I guess I will have to resort to a "hot water bottle" and extra Advil! :classic_unsure:

Might be better not to guess on what items are prohibited…

16 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Until someone's fan is confiscated and a whole new thread starts! 🤣

Considering I've brought my drone on 6 cruises and water scooter on one cruise and neither has been confiscated I'm not too worried about my fan. You just have to know where to hid it 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Laszlo said:

Considering I've brought my drone on 6 cruises and water scooter on one cruise and neither has been confiscated I'm not too worried about my fan. You just have to know where to hid it 😁

True story: traveling home yesterday from Cincinnati, we saw/overheard the flight attendant tell a man he couldn't bring his hoverboard on. He said "I've traveled with this many times and never had a problem." The flight attendant politely but firmly replied that PSA airlines (which works with American) doesn't allow them so he'd have to check it. He reluctantly complied and came back onboard a minute later. I guess if you've gotten away with something that was prohibited, it's understandable you think the policy isn't being enforced, but once it IS enforced, you have to do what they say, or not fly/cruise.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

True story: traveling home yesterday from Cincinnati, we saw/overheard the flight attendant tell a man he couldn't bring his hoverboard on. He said "I've traveled with this many times and never had a problem." The flight attendant politely but firmly replied that PSA airlines (which works with American) doesn't allow them so he'd have to check it. He reluctantly complied and came back onboard a minute later. I guess if you've gotten away with something that was prohibited, it's understandable you think the policy isn't being enforced, but once it IS enforced, you have to do what they say, or not fly/cruise.

The only time I got stopped with a drone was coming back on board the Escape. Going thru security they asked what I had. I told them, I was told to go to the side. Where two security people asked me a few questions and I was free to go. Then two bridge officers starting talking to me, both of them had a flew drones. We talked shop for about 10 minutes, long story short I ended up getting an invite to the bridge LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, uneamie said:

I didn't check the list.....but I'm guessing "heating pads" are out too! I use one every single day for bad back issues. I guess I will have to resort to a "hot water bottle" and extra Advil! :classic_unsure:

I really like Salonpas for low back pain. I will usually bring a couple packs with me when I cruise because the overly soft beds will wreck my back.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I really like Salonpas for low back pain. I will usually bring a couple packs with me when I cruise because the overly soft beds will wreck my back.

I use them for my knees...but they don't work for my back. I wish they did. 

5 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Mine came in a little box and so I am going to but the little box in my carry on bag. The xray will likely pick up the box but I don't know if it will pick up what's inside it if it's all made our of plastic. 

• Like 1