OBC as a present

22 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I have a sister going on a cruise on the Oasis in a couple months and I'd like to purchase some OBC for her as a gift. Is there a way I can do that online or do I have to call in?

Easy to call. Gifts and Gear  (800) 722-5443 , ship, date and reservation number would be helpful but they can look up the cruisers reservation  number by name. 

52 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Easy to call. Gifts and Gear  (800) 722-5443 , ship, date and reservation number would be helpful but they can look up the cruisers reservation  number by name. 

Thanks for the info - that worked.

They gave me a website (royalcaribbeancertificates.com) but when I got there, the country field was mandatory and you cant select anything. Frustrating.

- thanks again

Edited by nbsjcruiser

4 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Thanks for the info - that worked.

They gave me a website (royalcaribbeancertificates.com) but when I got there, the country field was mandatory and you cant select anything. Frustrating.

- thanks again

Tell them you want to purchase OBC and not gift certificates.,  They need to do that on the phone and not direct you to a website.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Tell them you want to purchase OBC and not gift certificates.,  They need to do that on the phone and not direct you to a website.

Yes, thanks - I told the girl that but she still sent me to the gift certificate site.

Thankfully cruisecritic came through with the needed info tks to @taglovestocruise

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Gift certificates you can, OBC you cannot. 

That was the frustrating bit when I called RCI. I specifically said I wanted to buy OBC and they sent me to the certificate site, which didn't work anyway.

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did you call gifts and gear at 800.722.5443

That's the number I called after posting here and it worked. Initially I called the 800 number for royalcaribbean, got someone and told them I wanted to purchase OBC for a relative on their cruise. They sent me to the certificate web site. That didn't seem right to me so I told the person that I wanted to buy OBC and not a certificate but they said that this was the only way. That's when I posted here and was supplied with the number above. That worked.

11 hours ago, pcur said:

Actually, you can purchase them online.  My sons give me RCCL gift certificates for Christmas almost every year.  I looooooove my sons!!

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

The giftee should read up on these though. I got a certificate once and took it to the ship but they would not honor it!  They said you have to call in advance at least 2 weeks prior to cruise to activate it and they then credit your account with OBC.  Caused a lot of trouble for us, this was quite a while ago, but required all sorts of follow up by the Loyalty Ambassador on board between Corporate and him.  So advise you tell them about this in advance!

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Gift certificates you can, OBC you cannot. 

I apply my gift certificates to obc for a booked cruise.  I redeem the gift certificate and have it applied as an obc to my booked cruise.  I've been doing this for years, and did it for my birthday, and after Christmas last year.

Great news, Mom

Mark & Bridget have sent you $100.00

To use towards your next Royal Caribbean® vacation.

Happy birthday! Love M & B!!

With a Royal Caribbean Gift Certificate, the possibilities are endless.

You can use it for extra perks onboard or even to help pay for your cruise.

Just remember to redeem your gift at least 10 business days before you set sail.

Certificate Serial Number: XXXXXXXX

Certificate Authorization Code: XXXXXXX

Redeem by Phone: 1-800-722-5970

Redeem Online: RoyalCaribbeanCertificates.com

Edited by pcur

10 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

The giftee should read up on these though. I got a certificate once and took it to the ship but they would not honor it!  They said you have to call in advance at least 2 weeks prior to cruise to activate it and they then credit your account with OBC.  Caused a lot of trouble for us, this was quite a while ago, but required all sorts of follow up by the Loyalty Ambassador on board between Corporate and him.  So advise you tell them about this in advance!

See my post #14 above.

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

But you can't just take the cert with you to board, it already has to be activated 2 weeks before you board, that's all I'm saying.

Right.  I've never known the certificate to be honored on board the ship:  it's always been apply it before sailing.

15 hours ago, pcur said:

Right.  I've never known the certificate to be honored on board the ship:  it's always been apply it before sailing.

But that condition is easily overlooked...Iknow, I did it.  Didn't read all the fine print on the certificate and just took it with me....lot of trouble.  Just warning people, read the fine print.

14 hours ago, slyster said:

so if i understand correctly, you can buy a gift certificate and have it applied as OBC?

Yes, our kids give them to us for most occasions (birthdays, holidays, etc.) and we apply them as OBC to one of our upcoming cruises.

• 4 weeks later...