Did anyone just watch 'A Current Affair' about the lost suitcase?

Story about a couple where the wife's suitcase was lost (inside the ship apparently) during their NZ cruise. They'll find anything to put a negative spin on cruise companies I think ...

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/cruise-customer-tears-after-lost-luggage-forced-her-to-wear-same-clothes/b3e163cc-bbcd-4474-8c58-d15eca63e14e

The story was embarrassing, especially for the couple involved. Obviously they're doing what they can to be awarded a free cruise. 

But if RCI didn't offer her to grab some clothes in their merchandise  store it's pretty slack. She could've been up on deck enjoying Milford Sound while repping one of their snazzy tracksuits!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

Story about a couple where the wife's suitcase was lost (inside the ship apparently) during their NZ cruise. They'll find anything to put a negative spin on cruise companies I think ...

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/cruise-customer-tears-after-lost-luggage-forced-her-to-wear-same-clothes/b3e163cc-bbcd-4474-8c58-d15eca63e14e

Ahh I don't know about that, how would you feel you had to spend a week in the same clothes, while on a cruise. I certainly would not have been happy, with my clothes being lost.

The least the cruise company should have done was offer the a couple of outfits from the clothes shop on board. In addition they should have asked for their clothes at night to clean and return 1st thing in the morning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mum and son said:

The story was embarrassing, especially for the couple involved. Obviously they're doing what they can to be awarded a free cruise. 

But if RCI didn't offer her to grab some clothes in their merchandise  store it's pretty slack. She could've been up on deck enjoying Milford Sound while repping one of their snazzy tracksuits!

Dam right they should have been offered a new cruise. Very slack management looking after them.

5 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Ahh I don't know about that, how would you feel you had to spend a week in the same clothes, while on a cruise. I certainly would not have been happy, with my clothes being lost.

The least the cruise company should have done was offer the a couple of outfits from the clothes shop on board. In addition they should have asked for their clothes at night to clean and return 1st thing in the morning.

Don't think anybody would be happy about that sort of situation but I think I would actively do something to remedy it, like find anything anywhere to purchase (either onboard or ashore) and then claim on insurance. It's not like they were in the jungle or a third world country.

On the subject of ashore - they said Christchurch was their first port after six (6) days?? And the only thing she bought were some jeans she didn’t like so didn’t wear ...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Don't think anybody would be happy about that sort of situation but I think I would actively do something to remedy it, like find anything anywhere to purchase (either onboard or ashore) and then claim on insurance. It's not like they were in the jungle or a third world country.

On the subject of ashore - they said Christchurch was their first port after six (6) days?? And the only thing she bought were some jeans she didn’t like so didn’t wear ...

Maybe she could have gone shopping until she found some replacement clothes, but if you were on a cruise and you get too your 1st port, would you wish to spend the day looking for clothes, instead of discovering the place you paid to visit because your cruise ship lost your clothes?

The point is the ship lost their bag, the ship should have been making sure they still enjoyed their cruise. As said they could easily have provided her with a couple of outfits, at very little cost to them.

Edited by Ozwoody

This did almost happen to me once. My family flew to Singapore to board a cruise and the airline sent my bag around the world. I spent my entire Singapore time wearing borrowed clothes and fortunately my suitcase arrived the night before we were due to set sail, otherwise it would've been a hasty shopping trip then an insurance claim.

Perhaps these cruisers didn't have insurance? Perhaps they didn't like the clothes in the onboard boutiques? I would have bought everything onboard and then fought it out with RCI. I would absolutely not miss going on deck and experiencing the Milford Sound because I didn't have a jumper. 

I'd love to know what RCI actually offered them, if they gave them OBC to buy clothes, then I'll make a judgement call about I who is being reasonable.

• Like 2

It almost reads that the luggage was left in the terminal. They were given onboard credit to cover incidentals, which would at least allow for a purchase of an extra set of clothes each for wearing while their other clothing was being washed each day.

Yes, pain in the butt to be that unlucky, but airlines lose bags in their system every day, and the only recompense comes from travel insurance. We always pack a set of clothes in our carry-on to get us through the first night in case our luggage is delayed to the cabin.

To take it up with the cruise line is one thing, but a threat of going to ACA is just leverage to get extra compo. Unfortunate part is that once their dirty laundry has been aired (pun intended) on ACA, any chance of a goodwill gesture from Royal has gone. 

• Like 5

best thing  a person travels wether by plane or ship   is to invest    in Air tags  that can be monitored  by your phone

Air tags or similar are  small gps's  that you place in your cases  and it signals to your phone

making this small investment   can  save you alot of heartache in the end  as you can track your suitcases   

it isn't going to stop luggage going missing  or misplaced luggage 

they are worth their weight and gold     specially when you can show the person  on a app  the  suitcase is in that small  radious  and can that person  guide them to it   or atleast have someone look for it

this could mean  having your luggage with in a short time or not getting your luggage back at all and saving the heart ache  of travel insure claims etc  

its a win win for both parties as small things like this can save crew and passengers time and money.

Anyway  thought for everyone to look into in future

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

best thing  a person travels wether by plane or ship   is to invest    in Air tags  that can be monitored  by your phone

Air tags or similar are  small gps's  that you place in your cases  and it signals to your phone

making this small investment   can  save you alot of heartache in the end  as you can track your suitcases   

it isn't going to stop luggage going missing  or misplaced luggage 

they are worth their weight and gold     specially when you can show the person  on a app  the  suitcase is in that small  radious  and can that person  guide them to it   or atleast have someone look for it

this could mean  having your luggage with in a short time or not getting your luggage back at all and saving the heart ache  of travel insure claims etc  

its a win win for both parties as small things like this can save crew and passengers time and money.

Anyway  thought for everyone to look into in future

Ever tried to use a GPS inside a ship. They don't work. Some of those tags may work if for e.g., they are locked to Iphone then a nearby Iphone may pick up a signal.

Having said that, tags are a good idea but not without limitations.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, boeckli said:

They lost the suitcase on the ship? I don't believe it. Surely the ship could have provided a couple of t-shirts from the shops, and a nice top for her to wear to dinner at least. Don't they have any clothing shops on board?

I did think the article might have been written by 'The Shovel' when I read the bit about her wearing his jocks!

I don't understand how one suitcase gets separated and totally 'lost' on a ship during enbarkation day.

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't understand how one suitcase gets separated and totally 'lost' on a ship during enbarkation day.

Delivered to wrong cabin?

Do thieves go on holiday?

Edited by lyndarra

Why didn't they cross-pack? We always split our clothes over our two bags plus taking a change of clothes in our carry-ons in case our bags don't show up before we want to go to dinner. We've done for all travel long before we started cruising.

Rolf was on a multi-country business trip once and I met him in Hong Kong for a few days. His suitcase went to Bangkok. He had to borrow a pair of my knickers - luckily a boy-style that was popular back then - until we could get to the local Marks and Spencer store. Luckily M&S were in HK, that made it much easier. 

It would be hard for us to replace clothing in some countries, and possibly onboard some cruise lines. We are both plus sized people these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Why didn't they cross-pack? We always split our clothes over our two bags plus taking a change of clothes in our carry-ons in case our bags don't show up before we want to go to dinner. We've done for all travel long before we started cruising.

Rolf was on a multi-country business trip once and I met him in Hong Kong for a few days. His suitcase went to Bangkok. He had to borrow a pair of my knickers - luckily a boy-style that was popular back then - until we could get to the local Marks and Spencer store. Luckily M&S were in HK, that made it much easier. 

It would be hard for us to replace clothing in some countries, and possibly onboard some cruise lines. We are both plus sized people these days.

Classic Julie and you can always turn ones undies inside out for two days wear, lol.

• Haha 2

I've heard people say you should photograph your luggage before you send it off to the mercy of the baggage handlers. Not a bad idea as they always ask for a description when it goes missing. Then you've got the personal luggage tag and the label we all put inside our cases - don't we? and the ship's luggage tags we've printed out. There should be lots of ID on a suitcase.

As for the airtags - I'm sure mine worked on the ship I was on a few weeks ago. Would ping me when I got too far away from my cabin and my case.

32 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

As for the airtags - I'm sure mine worked on the ship I was on a few weeks ago. Would ping me when I got too far away from my cabin and my case.

That's because they connect by Bluetooth, not GPS. You moved out of Bluetooth range.

42 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I've heard people say you should photograph your luggage before you send it off to the mercy of the baggage handlers. Not a bad idea as they always ask for a description when it goes missing. Then you've got the personal luggage tag and the label we all put inside our cases - don't we? and the ship's luggage tags we've printed out. There should be lots of ID on a suitcase.

Our luggage has a very distinctive unique bright two colour logo painted on in three places on each bag. But even with that it didn't stop someone trying to make off with one of them from an airport carousel once. Luckily one of the airport security guys spotted us standing by the carousel with the matching bag and questioned the guy who'd taken the other one. He still swore it was his until we matched the tag number. 

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our luggage has a very distinctive unique bright two colour logo painted on in three places on each bag. But even with that it didn't stop someone trying to make off with one of them from an airport carousel once. Luckily one of the airport security guys spotted us standing by the carousel with the matching bag and questioned the guy who'd taken the other one. He still swore it was his until we matched the tag number. 

Cheeky, aren't they. You need eyes in the back of your head. I swear I'm never buying a black or navy blue suitcase again. 😂

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Cheeky, aren't they. You need eyes in the back of your head. I swear I'm never buying a black or navy blue suitcase again. 😂

We have one black and one navy blue, but we have distinctive luggage straps and also a very bright red & white tie on the top handle.

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder if the man you refer to actually had a bag on the luggage carousel. 🙂 Maybe he thought your bag looked so good, it must have expensive stuff inside.

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes multiple ID on your bags are essential, in addition to the Ship/flight tags, we have a very durable secure plastic pocket tags attached to a handle, with all info inside plus we include inside a sheet of paper with our names; home address; ship/plane name and cruise/flight; plus full itinerary with dates and arrival/departure times; e-mail address; home phone; and lastly our emergency contact back home.

Then if they get lost hope like hell who ever finds it is honest, and they can read English.😂

Absolutely no sympathy from me. What with Harry & Megan and now this, don't people realise there are more important news stories out there to entertain the plebs?

If the couple don't read their cruise contract and/or have appropriate travel insurance, especially since they claim to be seasoned cruisers, they deserve to be put out if things go wrong. Why you would go running to ACA is beyond me.

• Like 1