After Dinner Shots

sparks1093

So on our last cruise DW got an after dinner shot almost every night from the tray that is brought around the MDR, because she liked the shot glasses and we could (and do) use them at our camp. I was thinking about it- are they actual shots or are they just a mixed drink put into a shot glass? If you've had one was it strong or on the weak side? 

I just used our RC shot glasses for serving shots of Baileys with whipped cream on top and green sprinkles for St Pat's Day for dessert!  That RC cruise was the last time I had a table shot and that was before 2010, so I don't remember if it was strong or not🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I just used our RC shot glasses for serving shots of Baileys with whipped cream on top and green sprinkles for St Pat's Day for dessert!  That RC cruise was the last time I had a table shot and that was before 2010, so I don't remember if it was strong or not🤣

I might have to do some field research in a couple of weeks.

• Haha 3

They are shots of liquor mixed with liqueurs, much like a B52 (but not layered as such).  They are not straight tequila, for example, but neither are they just 2 oz of a Pina colada.  If a true mixed shot, probably about 1 oz of liquor with 0.5 oz of a lower proof liqueur, or maybe vice versa, and maybe another 0.5 oz of a mix. 

Sometimes they might be just pure limoncello or similar.

See this older thread for some previous discussion.  I'm sure there are other more recent threads, this was the first one I stumbled on:

• Thanks 1

Oh, and to answer this question:

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

If you've had one was it strong or on the weak side? 

Well, depends on your palate.  I find shots like these fairly benign.  But if a 14% abv red wine is a "big" drink for you, you might find these shots "strong".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Please be sure to document and report your findings.  I will complete a secondary study to verify or disprove your findings.  Then you will need to do a deeper dive into my findings and counter with additional data.  I will then consider your presentation and validate new data.  This might take several years and multiple cruises.  I am up for the challenge.  

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Please be sure to document and report your findings.  I will complete a secondary study to verify or disprove your findings.  Then you will need to do a deeper dive into my findings and counter with additional data.  I will then consider your presentation and validate new data.  This might take several years and multiple cruises.  I am up for the challenge.  

Challenge...accepted! And since we have a cruise booked with Celebrity in 2025 we can also analyze the data across different lines. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florings said:

Mixed, but they sure are yummy.  18  more days and I will be collecting a few more shot glasses!

Looks like we'll be on Glory when you are on Paradise. We'll be on a western itinerary (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Tell me more about these shots?

Are they different types?

In MDR?

I also volunteer to do some research when I get on the Glory this Sunday morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florings said:

Mixed, but they sure are yummy.  

For sure!  I can't remember all of the mixtures, but I love the Lemoncello as well as the Cinnamon Toast Crunch!!!  I have all of the glasses except the one that lights up - just didn't want that one.  They serve that one on the last night of the cruise.  I need another yellow one, so I'll get that one hopefully in May - it's good to have goals you know!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Looks like we'll be on Glory when you are on Paradise. We'll be on a western itinerary (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).

Western for us too. Cozumel and Grand Cayman.  5 days of being lazy and well tended.

18 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

In MDR?

I also volunteer to do some research when I get on the Glory this Sunday morning.

My experience:  During dinner time, there are crew members walking around with a tray of shots.  The souvenir shot glass color and drink content changes each night (see @Jamman54's Post #7 for example). You may have to ask one of your wait staff to hunt down the shotsmeister.  As @LHARTWICK mentioned, one night might be the cinnamon toast crunch and the next night lemoncello, and I recall a chocolate concoction.  Can't remember the flavors of the other nights. 

Souvenir glasses are not covered under CHEERS!, and before the recent price increase the cost was $10.03 w/ gratuity.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

In MDR?

They typically have someone going from table to table with souvenir shot glasses for sale. If you have Cheers you still need to pay for the glass. DW enjoyed them.

Born and raised in Wisconsin, where we consider ourselves to be professional drinkers.  I will throw my hat into the ring in 22 days to assist anyone else with conducting research.  If I have to do shots each night, I will.  If I have to do multiple shots just to make sure I make an educated decision, well, let’s just say that someone has to take one for the team!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, PrincessPatti said:

Born and raised in Wisconsin, where we consider ourselves to be professional drinkers.  I will throw my hat into the ring in 22 days to assist anyone else with conducting research.  If I have to do shots each night, I will.  If I have to do multiple shots just to make sure I make an educated decision, well, let’s just say that someone has to take one for the team!

Your commitment to science will be rewarded

• Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
On 3/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, sparks1093 said:

So on our last cruise DW got an after dinner shot almost every night from the tray that is brought around the MDR, because she liked the shot glasses and we could (and do) use them at our camp. I was thinking about it- are they actual shots or are they just a mixed drink put into a shot glass? If you've had one was it strong or on the weak side? 

Tell you what, get her to do three shots then spell her first name backwards.😎 I wanna hear the answer to that one.🤣

On 3/30/2023 at 10:34 AM, Jamman54 said:

We love shot time!!  😁

IMG_2086-X2.jpg

HA!!!!  I have about that many glasses in my liquor cabinet in all different colors and the same amount at least of the "mini martini" shot glasses too.  JIM!!!!  He bought one every night to keep CCL afloat lol and added a hefty tip for the waiter too.  He was always their first customer and they would RUN to our table yelling "Hey Mr. Jim, look what I got for you tonight."  I never tasted a drop but I was an expert at packing the glasses in our luggage and juggling for space in our cabinet when we got home! 

CHEERS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Tell you what, get her to do three shots then spell her first name backwards.😎 I wanna hear the answer to that one.🤣

LOL, thanks for the suggestion. (Reminds me of the guy that got pulled over and the cop told him to say the alphabet starting with M. The guy answered, "Malphabet".)

• Haha 2