Bed configuration request and method for extra tips

Hllb

Our cruise is in June, but I've already filled out the check-in documents. I realized today, that it didn't ask what bed configuration we wanted. We have two cabins and need twin beds in one of them. Does that option come later? How do we let them know the preference?

I also plan on requesting more towel animals, and increasing the daily tips on one of our cabins. How do people usually leave extra daily tips? Envelope in the stateroom? Are envelopes for tipping provided?

In my experience, the bed configuration question comes at the time of booking the cruise.  It should show on your booking confirmation, in the Cruise Details section on the first page of the confirmation.

As for extra tips, I usually find the crew member and hand the cash directly to them.  Then I know that the person I wanted to get the tip actually gets it.  What they do with it after that, is up to them.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

You can also ask the room stewards on the first day. They usually stop by to see if you need anything. I’ve done that before and they had it done before dinner. 

I generally hand them tips in person, but sometimes have left an envelope on the desk or bed. I bring my own little envelopes. 

• Like 1

Do you usually see your cabin attendant daily? We've only done one cruise, but we only saw our attendant the first day when they introduced themselves. Never saw them in person again, so I'd prefer to leave the tips in the cabin. 

I'll check our reservations again, but didn't see anything for the beds. Maybe I missed it. We booked through a TA, so it could display a bit differently. I know they can separate the beds later, but it would be easier for them to do it when they're making up the beds than after the fact.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

Do you usually see your cabin attendant daily? We've only done one cruise, but we only saw our attendant the first day when they introduced themselves. Never saw them in person again, so I'd prefer to leave the tips in the cabin. 

I'll check our reservations again, but didn't see anything for the beds. Maybe I missed it. We booked through a TA, so it could display a bit differently. I know they can separate the beds later, but it would be easier for them to do it when they're making up the beds than after the fact.

I saw them daily on the last two cruises, but that was the Zaandam. Maybe it’s different on the bigger ships. I seem to recall seeing something about the beds on the invoice from my TA, so you could ask yours to check. 

It's not displayed on our invoice from our TA, so I'll have to call to check. Thanks!

Our first cruise was on a megaship, so maybe that's the difference. Or maybe we just weren't in our cabin very often.

There were very few days I didn't see my steward somewhere in the hall or around my cabin. I like to hand them extra tips in person so I can thank them for any specific extras they provided during the cruise.  It's positive feedback to encourage them to do those special things for future cruisers too!

~Nancy

For us it's an ongoing joke that no matter how we ask to configure the beds, it will be the opposite and we'll have to ask the cabin stewards to change it on the first day.  As others have said, it's really not a big deal - just some extra work for those stewards, which is a shame - but they have always gotten it done before we are back from dinner the first evening, and sometimes even sooner.  But really, when we've wanted the bed together, or on my last two cruises - once with my daughter and once with a friend - when we wanted them separated, we found them the OTHER way when we got on board, regardless of the request which was made at booking.  As for extra tips for your steward, be sure to either give them right to him or her, OR leave it in an envelope clearly marked with their name. (simply because others will come into the cabin on disembarkation day, such as those restocking the mini-bar and other various workers, and not that I think they would "steal" tips, but I leave it very well marked who the envelope is for. 

Edited by Moriah

Agreeing with all the others, don't worry about the bed configuration in advance, just ask your steward on the first day, that's the way we do it all the time.

I always go to the dollar store or the like and get a small pack of 'thank you' cards before we leave, they don't take any room and it's nice to leave a note with your extra tip.

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

For us it's an ongoing joke that no matter how we ask to configure the beds, it will be the opposite and we'll have to ask the cabin stewards to change it on the first day.  As others have said, it's really not a big deal - just some extra work for those stewards, which is a shame - but they have always gotten it done before we are back from dinner the first evening, and sometimes even sooner.  But really, when we've wanted the bed together, or on my last two cruises - once with my daughter and once with a friend - when we wanted them separated, we found them the OTHER way when we got on board, regardless of the request which was made at booking.  As for extra tips for your steward, be sure to either give them right to him or her, OR leave it in an envelope clearly marked with their name. (simply because others will come into the cabin on disembarkation day, such as those restocking the mini-bar and other various workers, and not that I think they would "steal" tips, but I leave it very well marked who the envelope is for. 

I think they just leave the beds in the configuration they were for the last 

passengers.  I never wait until disembarkation to leave the extra tip.  I do it the night before in a clearly marked envelope.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The room stewards always tell us they don't get the bed configuration ahead of time and just leave the beds the way they were the previous cruise.  

Interesting. That could be a story to help them save time from having to re-arrange the beds as requested. No matter what it says on the booking, they don't change the beds unless personally asked. If guests don't say anything, they saved some time. The stewards have to know what linens will be needed on embark day, so it's odd that he says they don't get a list of bed requests.

12 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting. That could be a story to help them save time from having to re-arrange the beds as requested. No matter what it says on the booking, they don't change the beds unless personally asked. If guests don't say anything, they saved some time. The stewards have to know what linens will be needed on embark day, so it's odd that he says they don't get a list of bed requests.

It was about 20 years ago that a steward told me they found that leaving the beds in the current configuration saved them time overall. They got the information as to what the new passengers wanted, but often the info was wrong. So, by not rearranging the furniture, then getting it wrong, they didn't have to rearrange the furniture twice. Saved them more time than making the bed twice by just waiting to confirm. 

• Like 3