Influencers onboard

zitsky

On 4/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, steamboats said:

It definitely isn´t... A cruise ship is sort of private like a shop or a hotel or any other building. You need the permission of the owner to take videos for publishing (Hausrecht). And for privacy reasons you´re not allowed to show other people without their consent (as long as they can be recognized). Like the example in the fitness studio - no way in Germany! You can´t show people on the threadmill in a video online.

BTW, another point... Celebrity ships are registered in Malta, EU. So Maltese and European laws set in and not US law (unless the ship is in a US port).

steamboats

deleted,  not worth discussing.

Edited by crazyank

I am curious, since this thread has lasted this long, who has seen someone onboard a Celebrity ship specifically, or another line doing a you tube, or other social media style video?

I have not yet seen anyone doing what was clearly an informational or a look at me video on a cruise ship. I have of course seen families doing videos. Guessing this is more of a what if vs they are everywhere. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I am curious, since this thread has lasted this long, who has seen someone onboard a Celebrity ship specifically, or another line doing a you tube, or other social media style video?

I have not yet seen anyone doing what was clearly an informational or a look at me video on a cruise ship. I have of course seen families doing videos. Guessing this is more of a what if vs they are everywhere. 

On one cruise, I ran into a known cruise vLogger.  Although, she has posted content on YouTube from that cruise, I never actually saw her recording.  When I think of the cruise YouTube channels I follow and have watched occasionally, I can only think of one that probably is a bit obnoxious about their recording.  All the rest try to pick quiet times and quiet areas and their goal is to be discrete.  With those that are discrete, if you don't recognize them from watching their channel, you probably won't even notice they are on your cruise.

I personally have a very small non-monetized YouTube (and Instagram) account that is just a hobby so do a little recording myself but my favorite time to record is around sunrise or on port days when the ship is quiet and not many are around.

I personally think your chances of dealing with rude passengers are FAR greater than your chances of having to deal with an obnoxious influencer/content creator.  And the few obnoxious influencers out there probably would be rude passengers even if they weren't influencing.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

If you go to youtube, enter "celebrity cruises" then sort by most viewed, you see many of the influencer videos...The term "influencer" has largely been replaced by "content creator", you have all different types of them, some may focus on overall travel, some are exclusive to cruising and some might be exclusive to one cruise line

Was on the 5th Edge sailing after the restart, it just so happened that LLP and the Cruising influencers Don and Tony were on.  Jim Zim, who I believe has the subscribers was recently on Celebrity and complained about the burgers...lol

The youngin's who are probably on X with their parents nowadays are on tiktok, far less about them showcasing the cruise and more about them doing a little dance routine or something

Fun fact, globally, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority want to be influencers/content creators

On 3/31/2023 at 5:10 AM, zitsky said:

That’s the point.  I don’t want to notice them! 

I'm not talking about someone who videos their cabin or takes pictures.  Maybe you get lucky and a pool is empty when you want to shoot video.  But taking over a space for their own use is not ok.  Don’t run around the buffet expecting everyone to wait for you.

In my experience, common travelers are way more obnoxious than someone with a camera. Especially at the buffet!

And I doubt they "took over" an entire jacuzzi for an extended period of filming.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you go to youtube, enter "celebrity cruises" then sort by most viewed, you see many of the influencer videos...The term "influencer" has largely been replaced by "content creator", you have all different types of them, some may focus on overall travel, some are exclusive to cruising and some might be exclusive to one cruise line

Fun fact, globally, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority want to be influencers/content creators

I have watched some of the videos, including some to prepare for our upcoming HAL cruise, I have yet to see someone onboard filming yet. 

To your last, that is sad, but if they do it right there is money to be made there. Maybe with a lot of jobs becoming automated, they have the right idea after all, but lets hope not.

1 minute ago, cgolf1 said:

I have watched some of the videos, including some to prepare for our upcoming HAL cruise, I have yet to see someone onboard filming yet. 

To your last, that is sad, but if they do it right there is money to be made there. Maybe with a lot of jobs becoming automated, they have the right idea after all, but lets hope not.

Generally speaking, folks aren’t continuously recording, often they’ll do an entire ship tours and bits and pieces here and there.  More often than not, they are recording with their smartphones and not a camera rig

With the jobs, while lots of manual labor are becoming automated but even more are done overseas.   The bigger immediate job threat are to writers and coder.   Many are already using AI to write copy and code for them.  There will still be plenty of jobs out there maintaining the automation equipment

Shortly after the re-start we were on the Apex B2B2B.  The first one was loaded with TAs!  Not supposed to be selling themselves, but boy was I handed a lot of business cards.  It wasn't bad, except you'd think you were striking up a conversation with someone which soon turned to a self sales pitch.  The last week I noticed several content creators.  I noticed a group of beautiful 20 somethings filming at the Retreat Deck bar.  They had a very nice spread of sushi, cheese and fruit in front of them and drinking expensive champagne.  The crew were extra attentive to them.  There were also at least 2 other couples I noticed in the Retreat Lounge.  They were with the concierge a lot looking at their ipads and on the last day when we were waiting to depart, I overheard them talking about when their content would drop with the concierge and another officer.  I would by no means say they were bothersome, just noticeable.  It also made me realize a lot of what you're watching, not all, but a lot is information bought and paid for.  Not that people can't still be honest and even critical in their content, but it's good to be aware.  

35 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Why would I want to do that?

Influencers are very special and important people.  That autograph could be worth a lot of money some day.  On my next cruise I have a film crew following me for my TikTok channel.  I’ll be evaluating the quality of the toilet paper.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

In my experience, common travelers are way more obnoxious than someone with a camera. Especially at the buffet!

And I doubt they "took over" an entire jacuzzi for an extended period of filming.

I found it funny that cruisers are either “influencers” or “common”.  😂😂😂

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Influencers are very special and important people.  That autograph could be worth a lot of money some day.  On my next cruise I have a film crew following me for my TikTok channel.  I’ll be evaluating the quality of the toilet paper.

Once an influencer becomes “special and important” their cruise content no longer is as useful, in my opinion.  The best content for me is when the vlogger or blogger is a ‘real” person with no special treatment or anything to “ease their way.” I think people like my LIVE! threads here and (I hope) my videos because I’m just a regular gal facing the same stuff they do when cruising, good and bad. 

You know that toilet paper thing would probably do well on TikTok 😂. But don’t ask me; I hate Tik Tok. It worries me that people’s attention spans are that short these days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Projunior said:

Self-describe yourself as an influencer. Film your cruise vacation. Post the video on YouTube. Write off the cost of the cruise on your tax return as a "business expense" of "influencing". So clever.

And watch the IRS come for a visit. I did a WWII research trip to Europe for two books and articles. The important thing is to be able to prove you are making money because of this business (writing or influencing.)  Thus far, I haven't been visited. My accountant advised me that you can only do this every few years unless you are making huge royalties, which few do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

And watch the IRS come for a visit. I did a WWII research trip to Europe for two books and articles. The important thing is to be able to prove you are making money because of this business (writing or influencing.)  Thus far, I haven't been visited. My accountant advised me that you can only do this every few years unless you are making huge royalties, which few do.

What are the books, if I may ask?

I only use Turbo Tax and they are always trying to sell you their Audit Defender.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What are the books, if I may ask?

I only use Turbo Tax and they are always trying to sell you their Audit Defender.

Poland Under *** Rule, 1939-1941, War and Resistance in the Wilderness, The Young Partisans, to name a few books plus several articles.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely hate them!  Sat next to one at dinner one night (and the tables are on top of each other) and they had to film each other eating dinner and giving their opinion the entire time.  It was so rude of them.  Its much more than just two people having dinner conversation.

Then on the Apex a few weeks ago during one of the flare demonstrations we had someone with TWO cameras standing right in front, filming. No one else could see anything.  

These people think they are so important and providing a "service".  They are just rude.

Now, full disclosure, I love the videos of people filming their cabin to help me choose which one and maybe some general "here is the ship" type of content.  

But many of them (not all by any means) think they are more important than anyone else.  (Could be said for anybody really, not just "influencers", I admit.)  If there were considerate, I shouldn't even notice them and they wouldn't bother me.

The best day was when the person from dinner above was RUNNING around the ship a few later because he lost his go-pro somewhere. Sweet revenge.  🙂

Just be considerate of other people and it wouldn't be a problem.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, Charles4515 said:

Yes to you should get over it. You don't have to get over it but it won't matter if you don't get over it and I don't really care if you don't get over it. 

Y'all should read your cruise ticket contract with Celebrity, items 14A and B.(for the USA version)

If you cruise with Celebrity, they own the right to use your likeness however they want and make money off it... In perpetuity.

In contrast, all passengers agree not to use any recordings of other people or the vessel for any nonprivate use. 

I'm sure most cruisers don't read what they agree to but most postings to YouTube violate this agreement. 

By the way, I really enjoy some of the YouTube vloggers videos but I would not want to be in anyone's vlog.

7 minutes ago, cruisinfly said:

Y'all should read your cruise ticket contract with Celebrity, items 14A and B.(for the USA version)

If you cruise with Celebrity, they own the right to use your likeness however they want and make money off it... In perpetuity.

In contrast, all passengers agree not to use any recordings of other people or the vessel for any nonprivate use. 

I'm sure most cruisers don't read what they agree to but most postings to YouTube violate this agreement. 

By the way, I really enjoy some of the YouTube vloggers videos but I would not want to be in anyone's vlog.

You can sign a contract and still have an opinion about it.  And if a contract has language that violates your legal rights, good luck enforcing it.

Just now, zitsky said:

You can sign a contract and still have an opinion about it.  And if a contract has language that violates your legal rights, good luck enforcing it.

You are correct! I don't like many aspects of the contract but am accepting the terms anyway. 

13 minutes ago, cruisinfly said:

You are correct! I don't like many aspects of the contract but am accepting the terms anyway. 

I wasn’t happy with the language in the contract allowing pickleball 24/7………

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cruisinfly said:

A top YTer, tony did a whole video on getting advanced permission on all his videos that happen on ships, he stated he always asks for permission in advance and specifically asks if anything is off limits.  That video was in regards to him getting advanced permission on MSC yet having many MSC crew members telling him he cannot film

I would imagine most of the bigger YTers are asking for permission when doing cruise news and/or reviews while on board.  I'm sure some YTers do not ask for permission and there are also "influencers" who will take video while on the ship but the video content is about something entirely unrelated to cruising; most of those prob aren't asking for permission

Edited by NutsAboutGolf