Purchasing robes

Moriah

On my last cruise I finally decided that's it, when I get home I'm ordering a HAL bathrobe - I just LOVE the robes that are provided for use on the cruise.  However, I want to be sure that when you order online you really are getting one that is JUST LIKE the ones in the cabins... anyone have any RECENT experience with purchasing a robe? The only posts I've found are from quite a few years ago and people were saying they ordered online and got something completely different... Also, does anyone know if they can be purchased on board?

I think they have a notice inside the mesh bag your folded HAL robe comes in that says if you would like to purchase one to let your steward know and you would receive a new one.  Having them monogrammed would be cool.  I have doubts that they still do that, but would definitely ask.

• Like 1

We've bought several robes over the years. DW has a plush robe and her mother had a waffle robe. We ordered both for on board delivery. We ordered from the HAL site just like you'd order flowers or stateroom beverages.

• Like 1

Also remember, there are at least two kinds of bathrobes on HAL ships.  The Neptune Suites get a better robe than the normal cabins.  In addition, on one cruise pre-covid when we stayed in the Pinnacle Suite and had a behind-the-scenes ship tour, they told us when we visited the laundry area that the PS suites got a different type of robe than even the NS suites.  So make sure you know what kind you want to get and what you are ordering.  Many years ago, we bought them while onboard and they are great.

They probably have waffle weave and the plush terry robes.  Same as I have at home, waffle weave for summer and plush terry for winter.  I don't take a robe with me when I pack.  We always get the waffle weave on the ship probably because of our oceanview room category.

I have purchased the Club Orange robe onboard the Koningsdam, I think it was in March 2022.   They were having a “deck” sale and the robes were available.  The standard robe was $50 and the CO robe with the orange trim. which I love, was $55.  The CO robe is a terry inside and a soft microfibre on the outside.  So Cozy!  He asked if I wanted it monogramed and I declined.  I didn’t even ask how much but later wondered it the monograming would have been free.  I purchased it with OBC.

• Like 1

We tried to buy robes in September when we were on the Noordam but were told they did not have them for sale as they had not received their shipment of them.  Hoping we can get them on the Koningsdam in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks everyone.  I'm still so confused.  I LOVED the robe that was in my cabin last month on NA... I want one just like that one...and thought I would order it as a "gift" to myself, online, and get it on my next cruise. But now I guess my best bet is to get on board Zaandam next month and see if they sell them on board and if they do, see if it's the robe I want.  I definitely want the cotton and not "plush" or "velour"... I'll report back next month. 

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

Thanks everyone.  I'm still so confused.  I LOVED the robe that was in my cabin last month on NA... I want one just like that one...and thought I would order it as a "gift" to myself, online, and get it on my next cruise. But now I guess my best bet is to get on board Zaandam next month and see if they sell them on board and if they do, see if it's the robe I want.  I definitely want the cotton and not "plush" or "velour"... I'll report back next month. 

Hi Moriah,

I am holding in my hands the HAL robe I bought onboard the Zaandam last month for $55.  It is identical to the robe in our stateroom, blue trim. They asked me which one I wanted....this is not the Neptune/Club Orange robe.   Made by Boca Terry. waffleweave exterior.  It is 40% cotton, 45% modal (a rayon that is lighter and breathable moisture wicking, used in sleepware/sheets) 15% polyester.  I got it at the Guest Services desk on the Zaandam.  I love it!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Loreto said:

Hi Moriah,

I am holding in my hands the HAL robe I bought onboard the Zaandam last month for $55.  It is identical to the robe in our stateroom, blue trim. They asked me which one I wanted....this is not the Neptune/Club Orange robe.   Made by Boca Terry. waffleweave exterior.  It is 40% cotton, 45% modal (a rayon that is lighter and breathable moisture wicking, used in sleepware/sheets) 15% polyester.  I got it at the Guest Services desk on the Zaandam.  I love it!

Oh, thank you so much!!! Now I'm even more excited to board Zaandam in 5 weeks.  Some people may think I'm crazy to be so excited about a bathrobe (and they are probably right).  I really appreciate your reply - yes, that is THE ONE! When you say they asked you which one you wanted, were you able to see the choices or did you just say "like the one in the stateroom"?  I assume it comes folded and sealed?  Also, did you have it monogrammed?  Again, thanks so much for this.

Edited by Moriah

6 hours ago, Moriah said:

.  Some people may think I'm crazy to be so excited about a bathrobe (and they are probably right).  I really appreciate your reply - yes, that is THE ONE! 

I for one don't think you are crazy.

That's the one I had on Rotterdam in Feb, and in almost 60 cruises across multiple lines, it was the only one I even considered buying to bring home.  

I didn't, and wish I had. 

Good luck - let us know how the robe story ends 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Moriah said:

Oh, thank you so much!!! Now I'm even more excited to board Zaandam in 5 weeks.  Some people may think I'm crazy to be so excited about a bathrobe (and they are probably right).  I really appreciate your reply - yes, that is THE ONE! When you say they asked you which one you wanted, were you able to see the choices or did you just say "like the one in the stateroom"?  I assume it comes folded and sealed?  Also, did you have it monogrammed?  Again, thanks so much for this.

Hi Moriah,

Happy to help! I didn't see them and monogramming wasn't offered.  It arrived in my stateroom sealed in a Boca Terry plastic bag.  It took a couple of trips to Guest services with my receipt to ask "where is my bathrobe?" I didn't open the bag until I got home.  I am sure if I didn't like it (without opening the bag) I could have returned it to Guest Services.  Just an aside warning: the robe is heavy and added weight to my suitcase.  We were driving home from the port, so it didn't matter.

We had a huge amount of OBC that had to be used or lose, so I bought the robe.  Enjoy the Zaandam, we have sailed her 5 times and will again in March 2024 for the 14 day Solar Eclipse Cruise.

Karen

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Loreto said:

We had a huge amount of OBC that had to be used or lose, so I bought the robe

Thank you for a brilliant suggestion.  For our next cruise we have HIA and a lotta OBC, so it may very well be matching robes. (sweet!) 

7 hours ago, Moriah said:

Oh, thank you so much!!! Now I'm even more excited to board Zaandam in 5 weeks.  Some people may think I'm crazy to be so excited about a bathrobe (and they are probably right).

Not at all. Last cruise DH and I bought the HAL towels and a set of dishes. 

The biggest surprise to me was DH saying he wanted one too, when I asked at the Front Desk about the towel. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 4:36 PM, oaktreerb said:

I have purchased the Club Orange robe onboard the Koningsdam, I think it was in March 2022.   They were having a “deck” sale and the robes were available.  The standard robe was $50 and the CO robe with the orange trim. which I love, was $55.  The CO robe is a terry inside and a soft microfibre on the outside.  So Cozy!  He asked if I wanted it monogramed and I declined.  I didn’t even ask how much but later wondered it the monograming would have been free.  I purchased it with OBC.

Plus, you probably already know your name.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Moriah said:

Highly recommend buying onboard. You can also ask in the spa about buying them or if you need the larger size.

I’ve never even tried on the robe while on board but now I’m going to have to, just to see what all the fuss is about! I’m pretty short so I bet the robe is too long for me. I’ll have to wait 3 months to see!