Surviving the Ship’s Laundry?

We are going on a long cruise and want to pack as light as possible.

That means all the shirts, pants, socks, etc. will need to go through the laundry at least once.

I expect they use hot water and hot dryer.

At home we generally use cold water and  low or medium on the dryer.

These days almost all clothes say wash cold or maybe warm and dry low or medium.

I am looking for specific suggestions on what to look for in clothes that will survive, at least once or twice through the laundry.

We always travel carry on and use the ship laundry - I send underclothes (hand wash those I care for that way at home), pajamas, casual shirts, casual shorts with instructions warm wash.  So far nothing has been ruined.  We also wear fabrics which can be washed in cabin and dried on hangers (use metal hooks so they can be hung from the ceiling to dry).  Dress clothes sent for dry cleaning if needed though they really get that dirty. This has worked on trips as long as 30 days including cold and warm weather destinations.  Good luck.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We always travel carry on and use the ship laundry - I send underclothes (hand wash those I care for that way at home), pajamas, casual shirts, casual shorts with instructions warm wash.  So far nothing has been ruined.  We also wear fabrics which can be washed in cabin and dried on hangers (use metal hooks so they can be hung from the ceiling to dry).  Dress clothes sent for dry cleaning if needed though they really get that dirty. This has worked on trips as long as 30 days including cold and warm weather destinations.  Good luck.

Agree.  This is what we do.  Metal hooks help. We've done 35 days so lots of laundry.

• Like 1

Don't how long "long" is for you.   

We send a few things out each week in  the wash and fold bag  ($35 or cheaper/complimentary with various crown and anchor level discounts) and yes, they will be hot washed and dried on high heat.  Most often everything comes back just fine.  We are taking T's, shorts, socks, men's swimsuits, men's underwear.   There is a list of appropriate items for wash and fold.    We recently had one rash guard  come back stained, but a few washings at home with Oxy clean removed the discoloration spots. 

I may send a few items out for dry clean if the cruise in very long ( or B2B2B) and I want to wear the items several times.  I've been successful with the individual laundry (not the bag) and items came back nicely pressed (slacks).  

I wash items in the sink or shower.  Hang in cabin or balcony (near the glass door, not on a chair or near the rail) to dry.  

I bring Febreze and wrinkle release. 

Hope this helps. 

30 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Not sure if you care but your clothes will be washed with other people's clothes, each in their own mesh bag. That bothers some people.

I know that some people have a problem with this, but I figure sheets, washcloths, towels, etc. all get washed together as well and most people don’t have a problem with that so really no big deal. I’m sure the commercial/industrial strength detergent they use kills everything 🙂

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have not used dry cleaning since I worked up north and wore business clothing that was dry clean only. Is it okay to dry clean items that are normally washed/dried, such as mens’ dress pants and shirts?  

I wouldn’t have any dress pants or dress shirts washed with the laundry services onboard.  T-shirts, shorts, underwear and socks are the only items we send in for laundry services.

• Like 1

Ship's laundry works much better for men's clothing.  Dockers and Under Armour polo shirts can survive almost anything.  If you're willing to call Dockers / Polos "Smart Casual" then anything from there down gets shoved in the paper bag for wash and fold, anything above that should be left at home.  If you chose to go through life with a wife, that decision is out of your hands.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought a bunch of day dresses that could be washed in the sink and hung dry.  We send my husbands pants and shirts out for the press after we do this, it's safer.  I only use laundry for socks, jammies and unspecial shirts... Just expect hot water, no fabric softener and hot dry.  If you wouldn't do this at home, don't do it on the ship

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

We are going on a long cruise and want to pack as light as possible.

That means all the shirts, pants, socks, etc. will need to go through the laundry at least once.

I expect they use hot water and hot dryer.

At home we generally use cold water and  low or medium on the dryer.

These days almost all clothes say wash cold or maybe warm and dry low or medium.

I am looking for specific suggestions on what to look for in clothes that will survive, at least once or twice through the laundry.

What is a long cruise?  If under 14 days, no need to wash, and pack what you want and need.  If flying, just pay the extra fee, which is cheaper than washing anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have not used dry cleaning since I worked up north and wore business clothing that was dry clean only. Is it okay to dry clean items that are normally washed/dried, such as mens’ dress pants and shirts?  

Unless it specifically says not to dry clean then yes.  

The sinks are so small in the rooms.  I use a dry bag with the liquid shower soap. Soak, agitate, rinse, roll in pool towels and hang to dry.  I only do this on a cruise more then 10 days or so. I send out underwear, socks, work out clothes and let them boil them.  We bring enough clothes to stretch most of it to 2 weeks. They always do a good job with pressing. 

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Not sure if you care but your clothes will be washed with other people's clothes, each in their own mesh bag. That bothers some people.

So then sleeping in sheets and washing/drying with towels others have used is OK though?  😉 😄 

• Like 1

On anything over 14 days, I send out "boil and fry" with cotton undies, socks, t-shirts, exercise clothes once a week.  Sea day will do my "hand wash"....and if rarely needed....dress shirts and dress pants to dry clean.

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

On anything over 14 days, I send out "boil and fry" with cotton undies, socks, t-shirts, exercise clothes once a week.  Sea day will do my "hand wash"....and if rarely needed....dress shirts and dress pants to dry clean.

We try to pack only clothes made with fabrics that don’t wrinkle, and only put underwear, socks and T’s in the cook and mangle bag. Anything that needs to be hand washed gets done in the shower or tub. Their wooden hangers are great fo hang drying without leaving marks.

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We try to pack only clothes made with fabrics that don’t wrinkle, and only put underwear, socks and T’s in the cook and mangle bag. Anything that needs to be hand washed gets done in the shower or tub. Their wooden hangers are great fo hang drying without leaving marks.

LOL...love it!   I call it "boil and fry" but like your word for it as well....cook and mangle.  😄 😄 

I bring a pack of my own plastic hangers...sometimes you get stuck with those pointed head/no hook  hangers...ugh.   Magnet hooks on the ceiling matches up with my hangers.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

True, some it's a no-go. Clothes washing with 50 other Strangers is one thing, But one reason I don't do public Hot Tubs...Marinating with them in their juices, Pee-ople Soup...pass

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

True, some it's a no-go. Clothes washing with 50 other Strangers is one thing, But one reason I don't do public Hot Tubs...Marinating with them in their juices, Pee-ople Soup...pass

Don’t ever send any clothes out for dry cleaning when you are at home then….

• Like 1