Mast Grill

rankdad

We have been on two cruises since October. I used to love the greasy hamburgers,hot dogs and fries available at the Mast Grill. Unfortunately for at least me, they had changed the burger patties to much thicker but to my mind, less flavorful burgers. I was wondering if any who is sailing now can tell me if they might have gone back to the old burgers? We will be sailing again in July. 

2 minutes ago, rankdad said:

We have been on two cruises since October. I used to love the greasy hamburgers,hot dogs and fries available at the Mast Grill. Unfortunately for at least me, they had changed the burger patties to much thicker but to my mind, less flavorful burgers. I was wondering if any who is sailing now can tell me if they might have gone back to the old burgers? We will be sailing again in July. 

Your opinion is shared by many people on this forum.  I don't think it has changed back.

I challenged myself to find the worst thing to eat on an X ship and its the mast grill hot dogs, they are impressively awful.  Like X's complimentary desserts, the mast grill/MDR/buffet bland burgers aren't worth the calories; many have to load them with toppings to get them down.  Either way, when you walk by the Mast Grill tables you'll see lots of partially eaten burgers and/or hot dogs left on plates.  The fries are descent, though

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I challenged myself to find the worst thing to eat on an X ship and its the mast grill hot dogs, they are impressively awful.  Like X's complimentary desserts, the mast grill/MDR/buffet bland burgers aren't worth the calories; many have to load them with toppings to get them down.  Either way, when you walk by the Mast Grill tables you'll see lots of partially eaten burgers and/or hot dogs left on plates.  The fries are descent, though

It has been years since I last consumed a hamburger at the Mast Grill.  However, I am willing to take a chance for science.  I always put mayonnaise, mustard, A-1 Sauce, lettuce, tomato, and onions on mine as well.  

I have never had the courage and or been drunk enough to try the hot dogs.  Now if they had bratwurst or polish sausages I would definitely eat one for scinee. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I wanted to find out what all the hype was about so tried the burger and fries on.the Silhouette a couple years ago.  Burger was terrible and fries ok.  I much prefer the ones I make myself at home.  

I always ask them to butterfly the hotdogs and put them on the grated portion of the grill.  It heats them up and gives them the char grill marks.  The staff looks at me funny at first, but they get used to it after the first few days of the cruise.  

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I wanted to find out what all the hype was about so tried the burger and fries on.the Silhouette a couple years ago.  Burger was terrible and fries ok.  I much prefer the ones I make myself at home.  

Without a doubt making them at home is the way to go.  I occasionally enjoy an In and Out burger (hate their starchy fries) and don't really like McDonalds but would be much happier if they replaced the Mast grill with Mcdonalds...lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rankdad said:

Just off the Beyond.  The burgers were larger and did not have much taste. At least they were not swimming like before.   I added grilled onions, fresh onions, pickles, mayo, relish, mustard and ketchup.  Tasted better.  I did like their all beef hot dogs as they were not overcooked.

3 hours ago, rankdad said:

We were on the Apex in March and the 'burgers at the Mast Grill were the thinner greasy, flavorful  burgers. I ordered mine medium. Short wait but worth it. 

Edited by davekathy

11 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I found the burgers to be better than those precooked and sitting under a lamp or in water sauce in the MDR.

Good burgers by the pool can be had on Carnival at Guys place.  Fast turnover and always hot too

I must say Guy Fieri's on Carnival are quite good, however, I've yet to find any that can top my homemade burgers. I put a little green chili inside mine unless kids are eating them cooked on bbq served on a Brioche bun with fixings topped with onion ring. 

• Like 1

There is not a good burger (no charge) anywhere on a Celebrity ship on most days.  Sometimes the MDR has them on the lunch menu but not too often.  The OVC lunch buffet usually does not have them either.  Yes there is Luminae but that doesn't count.  Neither do the burgers that you pay for in specialty dining like Lawn Club.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

There is not a good burger (no charge) anywhere on a Celebrity ship on most days.  Sometimes the MDR has them on the lunch menu but not too often.  The OVC lunch buffet usually does not have them either.  Yes there is Luminae but that doesn't count.  Neither do the burgers that you pay for in specialty dining like Lawn Club.

IMO the MDR burger is too dry. Better blend. We prefer the Mast burger. More fat ratio.

5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I must say Guy Fieri's on Carnival are quite good, however, I've yet to find any that can top my homemade burgers. I put a little green chili inside mine unless kids are eating them cooked on bbq served on a Brioche bun with fixings topped with onion ring. 

The ones you make sound so good.

Laura

Good burgers all start with the beef, there's only so much Gordon Ramsey could do with a low quality beef patty.  Simply using fresh beef, put them on the grill or pan, dash onto the raw beef a heavy dash of Worchester sauce (adds Unami) and garlic powder and you're good to go.  If you want to get more fancy, you can mix in other ingredients into the burgers with many using a package of hidden valley ranch

Just off the Edge.  Burgers were awful.  We were just coming back from an excursion, close to closing time with the last of them on the grill and that may have been the reason they were tasteless.  The hot dogs were just okay and the fries did not even compare to the ones at McD's.

Sad - used to really like the Mast Grill.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Without a doubt making them at home is the way to go.  I occasionally enjoy an In and Out burger (hate their starchy fries) and don't really like McDonalds but would be much happier if they replaced the Mast grill with Mcdonalds...lol

OMG, are they really that bad!  

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Good burgers all start with the beef, there's only so much Gordon Ramsey could do with a low quality beef patty.  Simply using fresh beef, put them on the grill or pan, dash onto the raw beef a heavy dash of Worchester sauce (adds Unami) and garlic powder and you're good to go.  If you want to get more fancy, you can mix in other ingredients into the burgers with many using a package of hidden valley ranch

French onion soup mix with Worcester sauce or BBQ sauce. Medium ground chuck for flavor. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never been on a RCL with Johnny Rockets 

Just in case you are interested.

Adventure of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas

I don't know if this happened to others.

On our last X cruise back in November, 2022 on the Constellation, we wanted so bad to get a burger at the Mast Grill, always good !

Except this one.

Buns were very dry and falling apart and burger was so dry and tough, ver unappetizing.

We will try again on next cruise but definitely will try the I think its called the Garden Grill ?