Looking to cruise out of sydney

Hi all, 

we are looking to cruise next year out of Sydney....we like some input on the best cruises, best places to visit so when we look at cruises we have some idea on the locations. we are diamond on RCI but would consider any line if the trip could give us an amazing exp.....not a booze cruise lol ...not us  

any input would be welcome....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

Hi all, 

we are looking to cruise next year out of Sydney....we like some input on the best cruises, best places to visit so when we look at cruises we have some idea on the locations. we are diamond on RCI but would consider any line if the trip could give us an amazing exp.....not a booze cruise lol ...not us  

Welcome. My DW and I are booked this coming November for a New Zealand cruise that leaves from Sydney. Like many we had this plan pre-covid, but the virus stopped all our plans. So, we're back at it again. Neither of us has been to New Zealand and travelling that far seemed like a waste not to do just Australia and not visit New Zealand. We considered trying to do a land tour of New Zealand but couldn't find anything that did both the north & south islands in a way that satisfied us. Trying to do it on our own also seemed impractical. So, our two-week cruise is on Princess (never done Princess before) and covers both islands. Not exactly what we would choose but gives us an overall of the country with a number of port stops. We will spend time in Oz both before and after our New Zealand cruise with plans to travel extensively. This thread of Australia & New Zealand Cruisers has hundreds of pages of outstanding information if you're willing to take the time to sift through them. Plus, lots of Aussies and Kiwis on here posting and offering tips, info, answering questions and willing to help. We have found it invaluable so far. Check it out. Stay Safe & Healthy. Good Luck.

21 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

Welcome. My DW and I are booked this coming November for a New Zealand cruise that leaves from Sydney. Like many we had this plan pre-covid, but the virus stopped all our plans. So, we're back at it again. Neither of us has been to New Zealand and travelling that far seemed like a waste not to do just Australia and not visit New Zealand. We considered trying to do a land tour of New Zealand but couldn't find anything that did both the north & south islands in a way that satisfied us. Trying to do it on our own also seemed impractical. So, our two-week cruise is on Princess (never done Princess before) and covers both islands. Not exactly what we would choose but gives us an overall of the country with a number of port stops. We will spend time in Oz both before and after our New Zealand cruise with plans to travel extensively. This thread of Australia & New Zealand Cruisers has hundreds of pages of outstanding information if you're willing to take the time to sift through them. Plus, lots of Aussies and Kiwis on here posting and offering tips, info, answering questions and willing to help. We have found it invaluable so far. Check it out. Stay Safe & Healthy. Good Luck.

thank you so much for your note, yes its a bucket list trip us...we want to see as much as we can 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

we like some input on the best cruises, best places to visit so when we look at cruises we have some idea on the locations.

If you are happy on RCI, then that is probably the way to go, although I think Princess tends to be the more popular cruise line locally.

From Sydney there are four main cruise regions.

The Queensland coast and Great Barrier Reef.

The islands of the South Pacific, including New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

New Zealand.

Southern Australia, including Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide and Kangaroo Island.

As well, there are the very popular cruises that circumnavigate Australia. This takes about four weeks and is mostly done by Princess. This would be my personal choice, but you need to have the time for it.

The best two week cruise would be New Zealand. Culturally NZ is very familiar to Australians, but scenically it's a whole different ball game. Milford Sound is definitely worth a look.

If you want to do some warm weather cruising while here, I would favour the South Pacific islands over the Great Barrier Reef. The coral is more accessible and the ports are more exotic.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

thank you so much for your note, yes its a bucket list trip us...we want to see as much as we can 

As you can see, the folks on this thread are AWESOME!!!! Look how fast they responded to you with suggestions. Great to get the advice firsthand from locals. Pre-covid we had a trip planned with RCCL. Unfortunately, they are not offering that itinerary now, so that is how we ended up with Princess. It's not exactly what we had booked before on RCCL but it's close. Both Sinbad & lyndarra make an excellent point concerning the time you have. It's a long trip, so for us, we want to make the most of every day. Fortunately, we're retired, so time isn't a factor. Hope you get lots of tips, suggestion, advice. Most likely, the local's info will be far better than anything I can offer. But in that light, we're more than willing to share what we have learned to this point. Trip Advisor Forums are also a great resource. Welcome.

When you say next year, do you mean early 2024, or late 2024? Royal only cruise from Sydney over our summer, generally October thru April. For 2023/24 summer season, Royal will have Brilliance and Ovation based in Sydney.

The 2024/25 season isn't yet available and expected to be launched in the next couple of weeks. So far for Royal only Ovation has port bookings in Sydney. I figure Royal will be your first option, but Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Cunard will all have summer season ships sailing out of Sydney.

Outside those months, the only two ships to sail year-round from Sydney are Carnival Spirit and Pacific Adventure (P&O Australia). Princess also bases a ship here year-round, but that includes being away on a world cruise for 3 1/2 months.

In addition to the excellent suggestions above you could also consider a relocation cruise.
Typically they are 'end of season' trips around April when the ship relocates from Australia to North America.
They usually visit South Pacific spots including those further afield, such as American Samoa/Cook Islands/French Polynesia and finishing in Hawaii.

3 minutes ago, Wookie01 said:

In addition to the excellent suggestions above you could also consider a relocation cruise.
Typically they are 'end of season' trips around April when the ship relocates from Australia to North America.
They usually visit South Pacific spots including those further afield, such as American Samoa/Cook Islands/French Polynesia and finishing in Hawaii.

Some return north via Asia to Alaska.

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If you are happy on RCI, then that is probably the way to go, although I think Princess tends to be the more popular cruise line locally.

From Sydney there are four main cruise regions.

The Queensland coast and Great Barrier Reef.

The islands of the South Pacific, including New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji.

New Zealand.

Southern Australia, including Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide and Kangaroo Island.

As well, there are the very popular cruises that circumnavigate Australia. This takes about four weeks and is mostly done by Princess. This would be my personal choice, but you need to have the time for it.

The best two week cruise would be New Zealand. Culturally NZ is very familiar to Australians, but scenically it's a whole different ball game. Milford Sound is definitely worth a look.

If you want to do some warm weather cruising while here, I would favour the South Pacific islands over the Great Barrier Reef. The coral is more accessible and the ports are more exotic.

thank you so much, great info and starting point......

One of the unique cruise destinations from Australia is to Papua New Guinea, an amazing region far from the usual tourist trail.  You might like to check those cruises out. Most of them depart from Brisbane, but that's only a short flight from Sydney.

• Like 1

In reply to what currency is on board the cruise ships   If you use any of the Carnival cruise line companies like Princess and HAL  it will be AUD with no extra gratuities on drinks etc.  If you go RCI  it will be US$  and you will pay tips for your room (which you do not on Carnival lines)

• Like 1

That's not correct. The currency on Holland America cruises out of Australia is USD, and they charge you the daily crew gratuity automatically. However, you can ask for this to be waived, once you are on board, if you wish.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

it will be AUD with no extra gratuities on drinks etc

To my understanding, gratuities are only included in the fare on cruises purchased within Australia and NZ for some Carnival Corp lines. If you buy in the US, then grats are charged as they would be in the US even if in AUD.

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

That's not correct. The currency on Holland America cruises out of Australia is USD, and they charge you the daily crew gratuity automatically. However, you can ask for this to be waived, once you are on board, if you wish.

Ditto Cunard which is also a Carnival brand.

Also, gratuity added to drinks purchases on board. Surprised to read, above, that Princess doesn't add gratuity to drinks.

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Ditto Cunard which is also a Carnival brand.

Also, gratuity added to drinks purchases on board. Surprised to read, above, that Princess doesn't add gratuity to drinks.

Princess definitely doesn't add gratuities to the drinks prices on its Australian cruises, but the prices are higher than they are on ships where auto-gratuities are charged.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I am learning a little more every day  I knew there was  reason I don't cruise HAL apart from the poor cruise I had with them years ago

That's a shame. I've done many cruises with HAL and all have been better than my, years ago, once only Princess cruise (which wasn't a bad cruise, just not as good as HAL). HAL also has better itineraries than most IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

That's a shame. I've done many cruises with HAL and all have been better than my, years ago, once only Princess cruise (which wasn't a bad cruise, just not as good as HAL). HAL also has better itineraries than most IMO.

Yes it was a shame but my dinner table of 8 happy, HAL lovers advised us that it was the worst cruise with HAL that they had had  and not to let it colour our feelings about HAL but of course it did.   The food was very bad   One night we had all ordered creme brulle and as we all had our spoons sticking up in the air in them we sent them back  - they were made with semolina!!!   The first soup I had on the first day was like drinking sea water it was sooooo salty   Never dared to try them again as I know what I am getting with Princess etc

• Like 1

20 hours ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

Hi all, 

What do you want to see.. and how long have you got? Aussie is a BIG place. New Zealand is worthy of a trip on its own and better seen by land. Don't let the size fool you. The pacific Islands are beautiful and there's lots of variations you can choose from there. What are hoping to see or do? 🙂 

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

We will never cruise HAL again after the cruise we did over Christmas. Although the cabin was lovely almost everything else was below what we expect on that level of cruise ship.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We will never cruise HAL again after the cruise we did over Christmas. Although the cabin was lovely almost everything else was below what we expect on that level of cruise ship.

Agree Julie, we did Noordam mid 2019, Sydney to Honolulu. Overrated. Food, service and entertaiment sub par. The soups horrible. As you said cabins good.  Give me Princess any time.

Edited by NSWP

I've only done two cruises, so I defer to more experienced cruisers, but I have just returned from a HAL cruise, and I liked it better than Princess, which was my first cruise.  Perhaps it's because I hadn't cruised pre-Covid, so I don't need to compare what the service was like before and after. But there is more to my preference than that. 

I had balcony cabins on both cruises. The HAL one was bigger than the Princess one and better equipped.  I used room service for breakfast every day, and a couple of lunches also. On HAL there were many more choices, the quality was higher, and the food arrived more promptly.

I didn't have any complaints about the HAL food in the MDR. Never got a dud dish at any meal, and no-one on my shared tables was complaining either. The food in the buffet, particularly the Asian food choices, was noticeably better than on Princess, where everything was toned down to bland and boring..

I liked the HAL entertainment better than the Princess offerings - more to my taste.

The main difference, which made me like HAL better, was the choice of beverages and the prices.  I'm a wine drinker, and the Princess wine list is really poor, compared to the HAL offerings. And it is seriously overpriced for some bottom level Australian wines. I really enjoyed trying wines from different parts of the world on HAL and found some excellent choices. And I couldn't complain about having a choice of seven different gins for my pre-dinner G & T.

Of course, as an Australia, I would have preferred having the onboard currency in AUD as on Princess in cruises from Australia, not USD plus gratuities, as on HAL. But when I add up what I paid on Princess, compared to HAL with the "have it all" package, I came out ahead on costs.

I'm looking for another cruise this week, and HAL is way ahead of Princess in my searches.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2023 at 7:02 PM, NSWP said:

Agree Julie, we did Noordam mid 2019, Sydney to Honolulu. Overrated. Food, service and entertaiment sub par. The soups horrible. As you said cabins good.  Give me Princess any time.

That's it! It's the soup! I never order it.😁

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

That's it! It's the soup! I never order it.😁

Yes! The old fashioned French Onion soup with the bread and cheese on top is impossible to eat and keep your dignity. It should come supplied with scissors to cut the dangling strips of cheese.

I did enjoy a Dutch pea and ham soup on Noordam, very thick and excellent flavour.                   😝

• Like 2