Is it my imagination, or do you have a better chance of a free upgrade if you book direct through the cruise line ?

We have done 4 cruises recently, two booked through the cruise lines own websites and 2 through an online independent cruise website,  All 4 were for guaranteed cabins.  The 2 booked through the cruise lines own websites gave us pretty decent upgrades whereas the 2 booked through a cruise website didn't.   Don't get me wrong, I am happy with any cabin within the category I have paid  for but of course free upgrades are a lovely and welcome bonus.  Has any one else experienced this or is it just a coincidence? 

Part of my fun with all of this is that we have never had a complimentary upgrade, which used to bug me no end. Sure, we have had some cruises where we wanted specific cabins and ticked the no upgrade box and a few cruises where there was nothing higher to upgrade to, but that still leaves dozens of cruises that the upgrade fairy has ignored us.

The only explanation that ever made sense was from a Princess circle host - if you buy at a promo/discounted price, you have less chance of an upgrade. Apart from that, guarantee cabins always give the best chance of un upgrade, but 95% of the time it is only a location upgrade anyway. I would rather pick a cabin, so that lowers our odds. A good location on a lower deck is better than one well forward on a higher deck, but the cabin categories don't often reflect that.

Now that Princess has added the bidding for upgraded cabins, the odds of a complimentary upgrade are shrinking even further.

• Like 2

The chances were always very slim.. the fact that you got 2 upgrades is very much a fluke. With Princess now.. there shouldn't be free upgrades presumably. So wouldn't get worried about something that is just a bit of rare luck. Book accordingly. 🙂 

General opinion (based mostly on RC cruisers postings) is that the Upgrade Fairy died & was replaced with the UpSell Fairy.

RC have the 'Bid for a Better Cabin' system in place. which looks to have taken any free upgrade out.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, mr walker said:

General opinion (based mostly on RC cruisers postings) is that the Upgrade Fairy died & was replaced with the UpSell Fairy.

RC have the 'Bid for a Better Cabin' system in place. which looks to have taken any free upgrade out.

Even before the bidding system, Royal (or via your T/A) used to send out targeted upsell offers. Back even further, the top tier suite that remained unsold would be the one and only prize for "win a suite bingo" on the first night which would rake them in close to 100K in proceeds for a 10K cabin.

They don't like giving away freebies much these days. Once upon a time, they would all play upgrade musical chairs, then resell their cheapest cabins as last-minute deals.

• Like 2

I am a retired TA and I often got emails offering an upgrade to specific clients..I always passed on the offer to the client, but always gave the client the warning that they lose control over where they ended up on the ship, so they could decide. If you booked with an on line agency, I am wondering if the email just got binned, and never forwarded to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flash harriet said:

I am a retired TA and I often got emails offering an upgrade to specific clients..I always passed on the offer to the client, but always gave the client the warning that they lose control over where they ended up on the ship, so they could decide. If you booked with an on line agency, I am wondering if the email just got binned, and never forwarded to you.

I think your last comment could be spot on. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

On 4/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, mr walker said:

They are not the only ones to be doing the bid for an upgrade bit.

20 hours ago, Flash harriet said:

Poss8ble but for what reason, wouldn't  they want to reward clients without any cost to them?

Have been Elite with Princess for over 10 years, often cruise solo at approximately double the cost.  Never had an upgrade.  Occasionally cruise P&O., out to South Pacific, about once per year, have had 3 or 4 upgrades.

Bookings have been through cruise line or direct from on line supplier.  Doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I too think the upgrade fairy has list her wings.

We got a double upgrade once. Our travel agent was very surprised. From Inside to Oceanview then a few months later to Balcony. Our only one. With the bidding now I'd think upgrades are not as common. 

Annoys me when first time cruisers get the upgrade. Heard of that a few times onboard. 

1 hour ago, sayaguru said:

Annoys me when first time cruisers get the upgrade. Heard of that a few times onboard. 

bit of a contradiction there isn't it

you was once a 1st time cruiser and if you was offered a upgrade  you would think of taking it wouldn't you

to me  that is one way of getting  1st timers returning for a 2nd cruise maybe 100's more 

Good on them if they get a upgrade .

what make you special  over a 1st time cruiser is it just the fact that you  maybe a returning cruiser  

i just cant see the reason why you would be annoyed  

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

bit of a contradiction there isn't it

you was once a 1st time cruiser and if you was offered a upgrade  you would think of taking it wouldn't you

to me  that is one way of getting  1st timers returning for a 2nd cruise maybe 100's more 

Good on them if they get a upgrade .

what make you special  over a 1st time cruiser is it just the fact that you  maybe a returning cruiser  

i just cant see the reason why you would be annoyed  

I would think the better option for business would be to reward loyal customers. 

What's the contradiction? 

No one said I was more special than anyone else. You are reading things that aren't there. 

If they were a first time cruiser I'm sure they'd be happy. Who wouldn't? 

2 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

I would think the better option for business would be to reward loyal customers. 

What's the contradiction? 

No one said I was more special than anyone else. You are reading things that aren't there. 

If they were a first time cruiser I'm sure they'd be happy. Who wouldn't? 

So why is it then it annoys  you  that 1st time cruisers get an upgrade  is it because  those loyal returning cruisers deserve it more.    

i would think upgrade options should be open to all  customers that can afford to upgrade to better cabin

I do believe rewarding loyal customers as well. your right it is good business sense but i also see it good business sense to  1st time cruiser  by pampering them a little and make them feel they are important and we want you to be that loyal customer

I'm looking at this from a 1st time cruiser  and i have to wait 12 months before i go on my 1st 

maybe i am reading into your comment to much 

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

So why is it then it annoys  you  that 1st time cruisers get an upgrade  is it because  those loyal returning cruisers deserve it more.    

i would think upgrade options should be open to all  customers that can afford to upgrade to better cabin

I do believe rewarding loyal customers as well. your right it is good business sense but i also see it good business sense to  1st time cruiser  by pampering them a little and make them feel they are important and we want you to be that loyal customer

I'm looking at this from a 1st time cruiser  and i have to wait 12 months before i go on my 1st 

maybe i am reading into your comment to much 

Yep. It's not that big a deal. Just  passing comment. Some people get upgrades all the time. No logic to how they give them out. 

Enjoy your cruise. Be careful it can get addictive. 😁

• Like 1

Just now, sayaguru said:

Yep. It's not that big a deal. Just  passing comment. Some people get upgrades all the time. No logic to how they give them out. 

Enjoy your cruise. Be careful it can get addictive. 😁

i think no one will ever work the logic in how  big business do things

yes i hear it can i  have heaps of friends and family do them but never myself  and i hope i get hooked line and sinker   

On 4/4/2023 at 11:33 PM, korky1 said:

We have done 4 cruises recently, two booked through the cruise lines own websites and 2 through an online independent cruise website,  All 4 were for guaranteed cabins.  The 2 booked through the cruise lines own websites gave us pretty decent upgrades whereas the 2 booked through a cruise website didn't.   Don't get me wrong, I am happy with any cabin within the category I have paid  for but of course free upgrades are a lovely and welcome bonus.  Has any one else experienced this or is it just a coincidence? 

The best upgrade we have gotten was from a guarantee with the cruise line where we were advised of the upgrade on the wharf on the day of departure.  Makes sense to fill cabins and reward risk takers.