Online check in??????

ontheweb

When I go to my NCL and click on online check in, it says it can start 21 days prior to departure and must be completed by 3 days before departure. But doesn't NCL need some of the information I would be inputting such as our passport information as they are booking our international flights?

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

No, they changed it post Covid. It will all get done 21 days or later, no worries. Your passport will get added to your check in info. 

OK, thanks. I just thought they would have to have the passport information for buying the airplane tickets.

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

No, they changed it post Covid. It will all get done 21 days or later, no worries. Your passport will get added to your check in info. 

One other question---will there be a reminder of any sort on my NCL, or do I just have to mark it on the calendar?

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

One other question---will there be a reminder of any sort on my NCL, or do I just have to mark it on the calendar?

I usually get a reminder a day or 2 later.  But best to keep track, just in case.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

OK, thanks. I just thought they would have to have the passport information for buying the airplane tickets.

I got an email from NCL in February stating that the names on my reservation had to exactly match the passports. (That was 3.5 months prior to our cruise.) So, even though NCL doesn't need our passport information just yet, because they will be doing the flights prior to 21 days and the ticketing will be based on the reservation names, you need to make sure the names match your passports exactly prior to the flights being booked.

46 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No timely reminder. By mid-day on day 21, early check-in times are likely going to be sold out. 

Also, if you are on a big ship, entertainment reservations open on day 21 (day 26 for suites and top-tier latitudes). 

2 hours ago, GirlWriter said:

I got an email from NCL in February stating that the names on my reservation had to exactly match the passports. (That was 3.5 months prior to our cruise.) So, even though NCL doesn't need our passport information just yet, because they will be doing the flights prior to 21 days and the ticketing will be based on the reservation names, you need to make sure the names match your passports exactly prior to the flights being booked.

I already got that e-mail for our August cruise, and now I can see middle names for both DW and me when I am on my NCL.

It still does not sit right with me that they would not need our passport information before booking our flights.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I already got that e-mail for our August cruise, and now I can see middle names for both DW and me when I am on my NCL.

It still does not sit right with me that they would not need our passport information before booking our flights.

Sometimes people don't yet have passports when they book a flight, so I can see why they wouldn't need it in advance. I recently booked flights to LHR for me and my husband, whose passport had expired and the renewal hadn't come in yet.  I made the reservation without any issues; he added the passport number to the airline record once he had it.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

usually you dont need the passport information right away when booking flights. that is something that can be done later on the airline website by logging in your account for that airline 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sansroof said:

Sometimes people don't yet have passports when they book a flight, so I can see why they wouldn't need it in advance. I recently booked flights to LHR for me and my husband, whose passport had expired and the renewal hadn't come in yet.  I made the reservation without any issues; he added the passport number to the airline record once he had it.

OK, I can understand that, but still why not let those who do have their passports share the information with NCL?

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

OK, I can understand that, but still why not let those who do have their passports share the information with NCL?

I will never pretend to understand why NCL does or doesn't do half of the things they do; I was just explaining why it wasn't going to be an issue for you getting on the flight.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, ontheweb said:

I look at it this way -- that is one less thing that NCL has to enter somewhere and potentially mis-enter, i.e., another data entry point that could require correcting later on. I prefer to enter it myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GirlWriter said:

I look at it this way -- that is one less thing that NCL has to enter somewhere and potentially mis-enter, i.e., another data entry point that could require correcting later on. I prefer to enter it myself.

They did get both our middle names right when I gave them to our TA who gave them to NCL. I assume they will still be correct when NCL give them to the airlines.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

They did get both our middle names right when I gave them to our TA who gave them to NCL. I assume they will still be correct when NCL give them to the airlines.

I just booked an international flight for next month directly thru the airline and it didn't ask me for any passport information to book. It stated I could add it 48 hours prior to my flight when I checked in, along with my KTN. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I just booked an international flight for next month directly thru the airline and it didn't ask me for any passport information to book. It stated I could add it 48 hours prior to my flight when I checked in, along with my KTN. 

OK, I had thought they immediately needed that information. Thanks for the correction.

4 hours ago, GirlWriter said:

When we do end up filling out the forms for NCL, will they then forward our passport information to the airlines, or do we have to fill that out for both?

21 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When we do end up filling out the forms for NCL, will they then forward our passport information to the airlines, or do we have to fill that out for both?

This will be my first time using NCL's Air, so I don't know from experience. However, based on what I've been reading on these boards, all NCL does is book it. Everything from that point forward is up to the passenger, so my assumption is that they will not forward the information and that we will have to provide that information ourselves.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 2:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

No timely reminder. By mid-day on day 21, early check-in times are likely going to be sold out. 

Also, if you are on a big ship, entertainment reservations open on day 21 (day 26 for suites and top-tier latitudes). 

You can ignore check in times - they’re not enforced. They’re just an attempt to spread out embarkation flow.

Think about it…when was the last time you heard a check-in person say “OK, 11AM’s line up here, 11:30’s over there, and noon people wait outside in the sweltering heat.” ???

It never fails: people routinely ignore the assigned embarkation times and then complain about the crowds when they get there! (Hint: maybe if people stuck to their assigned times, there would be fewer crowds. Nah, that'd never work, LOL)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You can ignore check in times - they’re not enforced. They’re just an attempt to spread out embarkation flow.

yes, and it's quite successful at doing that, except when people choose to ignore check in times!

you're absolutely correct that check-in times are rarely enforced. but choosing a check-in time implies a social contract; there is a moral obligation to show up at the appointed time, for your benefit, comfort and safety... and for the benefit, comfort and safety of your fellow passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

It never fails: people routinely ignore the assigned embarkation times and then complain about the crowds when they get there! (Hint: maybe if people stuck to their assigned times, there would be fewer crowds. Nah, that'd never work, LOL)

The crowds are caused by that large group of cruisers who insist on getting to the pier by 9AM, while previous cruisers are still getting off the ship and filling the terminal and facilities. Everyone wants to get on early to start using their drink package and get a “free” lunch. 
We go at 11 or later and usually have no problem boarding quickly.

50 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You can ignore check in times - they’re not enforced. They’re just an attempt to spread out embarkation flow.

Think about it…when was the last time you heard a check-in person say “OK, 11AM’s line up here, 11:30’s over there, and noon people wait outside in the sweltering heat.” ???

I certainly wish they would enforce the checkin times.

It's a shame they don't station someone at the entrance to the terminal to refuse entry to those who show up early.  "Kindly wait over there."

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I certainly wish they would enforce the checkin times.

It's a shame they don't station someone at the entrance to the terminal to refuse entry to those who show up early.  "Kindly wait over there."

That would certainly resolve the issue quickly after 1 or 2 sailings.

• Like 1