Is 7:00 too late for dinner every night if we want to catch the 9:00 show?

Shawn5

Four of us will be on the Discovery Princess in June to Alaska. We've made dinner reservations at a private table in the MDR every night at 7:00 but now we're wondering if we'll have enough time to make it to the 9:00 show. Should we change our reservations to 6:30? 

Assuming you're referring to the production shows in the Princess Theater, as of late, all the cruises we have been on had the late show scheduled at 9:30, not 9:00.  A 7:00 dinner would give you plenty of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

if the show is at 9 & not 9:30 you may not have time...some things to consider:

• dinner service on our last several cruises has consistently taken around 2 hours (3 people at a table)
  • sometimes (depending on the ship & the passengers) you need to get to the theater 1/2 hour early to get seats...most recently on the Crown the theater was never full for the 9:30 show
  • you can tell your waitstaff that you want to get to the theater & they will try to serve you more quickly
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawn5 said:

Four of us will be on the Discovery Princess in June to Alaska. We've made dinner reservations at a private table in the MDR every night at 7:00 but now we're wondering if we'll have enough time to make it to the 9:00 show. Should we change our reservations to 6:30? 

To be safe, I’d change it to 630pm. Many things could change by summer. No reason to rush through dinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawn5 said:

yes I would or show up a little early and then tell the waiter you are a show at 9.  They can speed up things a bit too.   No dinner needs to be over 1 1/2 hours all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

We also book for 7:00pm on all the cruises. You'll be done in about 1:30 give or take. If the shows are at 9, you'll be ok.

Agree. We usually reserve a table at 7:20 as the theater shows are not a priority for us, but “same table, same time” is. But if we really care about a particular show we skip dessert and can squeeze in to the late show, knowing that we won’t get great seats. If we started 20 minutes earlier, I can’t imagine having an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

We just came off Discovery today.  All of the shows were at 7:30 or 9:30.

Dinner service was very slow.  There were two nights where we were seated at 7 but had to skip dessert in order to make it to the 9:30 show on time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact that you have a table for just your party is in your favor.  We had a table for 2 on our last two cruises (Oct & Dec) and it rarely took over an hour from start to finish because we didn't have to wait for others to finish before the waiter brought the next course.  I know some people do not prefer early dining, but I think I';d go for the 6:30 seating rather than having to worry every night how long it was going to be and if we'd make it to the show.

• Thanks 1

On our recent trip, we ate at 8, and were generally able to make shows at 9:30, though seat selection could be an issue. I suspect the later you eat, the less problem with dinner taking too long.

• Thanks 1

I am a "play it safe" passenger.

Serving 4 is different than serving 2.

Your table may/may not be ready at 7 PM.  (and/or may not be ready at 6:30)

If the ship is full, you may need to get your seats at the theater 30 minutes before curtain.

There are so many variables.  I would prefer to wait at 6:30 than at 7.  I enjoy a leisurely meal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am a "play it safe" passenger.

Serving 4 is different than serving 2.

Your table may/may not be ready at 7 PM.  (and/or may not be ready at 6:30)

If the ship is full, you may need to get your seats at the theater 30 minutes before curtain.

There are so many variables.  I would prefer to wait at 6:30 than at 7.  I enjoy a leisurely meal.

Turns out the OP has perk of reserved seats, so they could show up with 10 minutes to go if they don't mind the section set aside and have no worries about getting a seat.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Turns out the OP has perk of reserved seats, so they could show up with 10 minutes to go if they don't mind the section set aside and have no worries about getting a seat.

True statement....if...

But thanks for pointing out my lack of reading comprehension.  :0

But I still think that is cutting it close.  

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I didn't see that....just reservations for a private table. If there are any delays in being seated the show lounge will definitely be getting crowded. 

I have found that having dinner reservations for 7:00 does not guarantee that you will be done with dinner by 8:45 (in time for a 9:00 p.m. show).  I also find that the place on the Princess app or website or wherever it is that asks about your preferred pace of dinner is completely ignored.  On the nights of a Production Show, I tell both the maitre d and the waiter that we want to make the show, so please don't dawdle.  That helps, although being prepared to skip dessert is also a good idea!

I do not understand why it should take more than an hour for dinner.  Some enjoy a long dinner; I'd rather be elsewhere!  Both groups should get their preference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I do not understand why it should take more than an hour for dinner.  Some enjoy a long dinner; I'd rather be elsewhere! 

Unfortunately the waiters are at the mercy of the galley and if it's a busy night, 2 hours is very common for dinner on a formal night arriving at 7 PM. 

Also, since the production shows are always very crowded arriving at the last moment doesn't always work.