Viking Chefs Table Menu

KarKell

Actually, I went back to check and did find CT for day 2 for 6 pm and Manfredis for Day 9 for 7pm. We will also check CT menu once onboard and cancel if we don’t like. Both were shared tables. 

On another note… any Bridge players? Maybe a late afternoon or early evening game, anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarKell said:

Good luck fellow cruisers… up at 6:30am and thought I would Try the Viking reservation…

Same here at 6am.

OK, a question.  About three weeks ago was my day to book dining for our May 30 Alaska cruise.  It said I could book at 8 pm Pacific time.  But I Just checked when I got up at 7 and reservations were open.  I just now checked our three other upcoming cruises, and the red box at the top says I can book on the specified day, but has no mention of the time booking opens.  I see that you both booked early in the morning.  Did Viking specify that as the set time, or did you just go in and try?  Maybe they are doing away with the timed opening for reservations.  I will say that at 7 am, 70 days out, I was able to book three 6:30 and one 8 pm slot, which are within our preferred times.  

Because there was no set time given, I figured I’d keep checking all day. I was up at 6:30, so I tried and got in… although all my preferred slots were taken for the preferred days. I just book one of each just to have… we may check menus onboard and reevaluate.

4 hours ago, KarKell said:

Good luck fellow cruisers… up at 6:30am and thought I would Try the Viking reservation… nothing left at Manfredis or CT till after 8:30pm. Oh well, not worried, usually can find something once onboard. 

Yes please don't be worried.  This has been the case for us in our last 4 Viking Ocean Cruises.  Onboard we've always gotten what we wanted.

What Viking does not tell everyone, but I did get this from the most recent Restaurant Manager . . .

Post-COVID they have only allocated 40-50% of the tables for people to reserve ahead of time before the cruise.  That means over half the tables are available when you board.  easy pickings.

Plus, our experience is that even then, people cancel throughout the cruise, especially by the 2nd half, which frees up lots of space.  This is likely due to the fact they went once and didn't like it, or they had a tiring excursion and cancelled last minute, or they were just no-shows.  The Restaurant Manager said that has been a large problem, especially on inport days, where people no-show and never tell them.

Thus - never give up!  We have walked down to CT at 5:50 PM and ask to be seated without a reservation and never waited more than 15 minutes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

One of the things I have seen on this cruise is that people arrive early and ask if they can be seated.  The several I have seen, people have an 8 pm or later booking, but are seated between 7-7:30.

Funny, we often do the opposite.  If we have 6:30 we often arrive a bit later      
We have never been turned away.  And often, we would arrive to what had been labeled sold out and find the place half empty.  

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

The larger question is: Why are people so eager to eat at CT in the first place?

Isn't the point of Viking:  there is no right way to eat - there's something for everyone?

Some like CT - some like you do not.   Everyone has their preferences.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Isn't the point of Viking:  there is no right way to eat - there's something for everyone?

Some like CT - some like you do not.   Everyone has their preferences.

I think it's OK ----- just don't understand the frenzy. Good food everywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Funny, we often do the opposite.  If we have 6:30 we often arrive a bit later      
We have never been turned away.  And often, we would arrive to what had been labeled sold out and find the place half empty.  

Even though it is half empty, I think the dishes are a lot more labor intensive so they can’t seat as many.  The nights where it’s been the fullest (IME) have been the slowest nights. 

We have had it such that we could not add another couple to our reservation.

5 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Different strokes…..

I enjoy it, DH does not but he agrees to go with me. 

I agree - also don't understand the frenzy.  Seems to have gotten worse.

My theory is - if you make something scarce or hard to get (like book ahead reservations), then people want it more and get frenetic.  Kind of like FOMO  (Fear of Missing Out).   I also think it seems to happen more from rookie Viking passengers than those who've been around the block.

Edited by CCWineLover

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

What Viking does not tell everyone, but I did get this from the most recent Restaurant Manager . . .

Post-COVID they have only allocated 40-50% of the tables for people to reserve ahead of time before the cruise.  That means over half the tables are available when you board.  easy pickings.

I had heard this but then I worry that one of these days, they are going to go back to the old system.

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Even though it is half empty, I think the dishes are a lot more labor intensive so they can’t seat as many.  The nights where it’s been the fullest (IME) have been the slowest nights. 

We have had it such that we could not add another couple to our reservation.

Fish and chips is labor extensive?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Which menus would be suitable for pescatarians --vegetarians who eat fish?

Thanks

I'm not sure, but even if fish is not on a given menu, or even not the main course, you can get a substitution just by asking.  Wife loves the lamb menu, so for that one, I always ask them if they can fix up a nice piece of Salmon for me. They always oblige!  (Note - this has been may 6-8 times !!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Thanks

Best bet is to talk with the chef when you board and ask which of the menus they are serving can best be adapted to your diet. It will give the kitchen a chance to shine because they will have time to properly prepare dishes using the flavors and ingredients of the menu rather than just substitute a piece of fish for the main course.

11 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Fish and chips is labor extensive?

In the British menu, the fish came directly from the fryer.  They were frying each order on request.  The fish wasn’t sitting around under a heat lamp.

As I remember our menu, the next course was a beef pie with several other parts too.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, CCWineLover said:

I also think it seems to happen more from rookie Viking passengers than those who've been around the block.

This guy who’s been around the block several times still enjoys CT-especially my favorite Lotus Menu.  Hope someday to get to taste the Sweet & Salty. 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:06 PM, Clay Clayton said:

This guy who’s been around the block several times still enjoys CT-especially my favorite Lotus Menu.  Hope someday to get to taste the Sweet & Salty. 

Don't get me wrong, Clay.  We love Chefs Table.

We just don't get all panicky like a lot of people about not getting reservations ahead of boarding!

Never had an issue.  We also would love to get Sweet & Salty (never had it yet).

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, rbslos18 said:

We are pescatarians and and just asked our server to have the chef make a substitution for a course if it contained meat.  The normal substitution is salmon.  I believe that last night we ate at CT was Lotus, stir fried beef.  We asked if the chef could substitute shrimp for the beef.  Answer was no.  They just do a seared salmon as sub, which was good, but nothing unusual or related to the rest of the menu.  

On Sky, our travel partners had booked CT for the 1st night. We couldn't figure out how to be added, so went down when we boarded an were able to add our name to their reservation.  After that, the young lady that helped me, always remembered us.  I told her toward the end of the cruise, we tried to do the same at Manfredi, but they told us they were fully booked, so we ate in the Restaurant instead.  She said I should have asked her, she would have gotten us in.  Lesson learned, make friends with the hostess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, springtravel said:

On Sky, our travel partners had booked CT for the 1st night. We couldn't figure out how to be added, so went down when we boarded a were able to add our name to their reservation.  After that, the young lady that helped me, always remembered us.  I told her toward the end of the cruise, we tried to do the same at Manfredi, but they told us they were fully booked, so we ate in the Restaurant instead.  She said I should have asked her, she would have gotten us in.  Lesson learned, make friends with the hostess.

Even better is to make friends with the Ship’s Restaurant Manager. They can work wonders with finding seats but even better in finding grilled lobster or Chilean Sea Bass when they aren’t on the menu during your cruise!

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_6138.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, rbslos18 said:

Thanks

Any menu can be adapted for vegetarians who don't eat fish, so pescatarian would be easier. (Sometimes I have substitutions for three of the five courses.)

• Like 1