Just off the Silhouette, my Celebrity first timer thoughts...

migdet71

I booked this one at the last minute (a week out) and with a bit of trepidation since we're Celebrity first timers and the sailing was 10 days long..

Our biggest concern was avoiding withering stink-eye from the masses on "Chic" nights, as our cruise attire is typically very casual, and we're not dining room people or show-goers.

I'm happy to say that we experienced no such shaming.  To the contrary, all fellow cruisers I interacted with seemed very chill and just happy to be on vacation.  That was a relief.

The staff was friendly and helpful.  We only ever ate at the Garden Cafe, so I can't speak to the food quality of dining room or specialty eateries.  We loved the Garden Cafe!  Aesthetically, it felt spacious with plenty of seating.  The walk-ways were wider than we are used to on HAL or Carnival, which was nice.  There was a good variety of food options and everything we had was far superior to offering we've had on other lines. One exception was a tough piece of minute steak I grabbed, but that can happen and could have been easily dealt with if there had been any steak knives available (why aren't there?)  The biggest pleasant surprise was the PIZZA!!!  Some of the best pizza I've had....ever....and I've had a pizza or two.

We loved the variety of seating all over the ship, for the most part....some seating was apparently built for NBA basketball players as the horizontal seating surface would require thighs of a length not found on most humans in order to sit comfortably.

Overall, the Silhouette is a fantastic ship, and Celebrity is now another cruise option for us.  Already looking for a future cruise...

• Like 20

16 minutes ago, migdet71 said:

....some seating was apparently built for NBA basketball players as the horizontal seating surface would require thighs of a length not found on most humans in order to sit comfortably...

I agree with this 100%. I find that the barrel chairs in the dining room are not comfortable for this very reason.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, migdet71 said:

1---Our biggest concern was avoiding withering stink-eye from the masses on "Chic" nights, as our cruise attire is typically very casual, and we're not dining room people or show-goers.

2---We only ever ate at the Garden Cafe

3---The biggest pleasant surprise was the PIZZA!!!  Some of the best pizza I've had....ever...

4---The staff was friendly and helpful.

1----No worries --- The Dress Code on Chic nights does not apply to the OVC ( Buffet on 14 ).

2----Next time try the MDR ( Main Dining Room )---- Other than Chic Nights ( usually only 2 per cruise)--- very casual except no shorts, flip flops, tshirts, baseball hats at dinner--- not a " big deal ".

You can always request a table for 2 as well if you prefer and order as much/many selections as you want. 

3----Were you aware that they will make a pizza for you with any toppings you want rather than what's been sitting on the tray for xx time?

4---Agree-- always received excellent service---- except the time when our Waiter forgot to bring my 3rd shrimp cocktail with the other two ( LOL).

• Like 1

We're really looking forward to cruising next month.  Thanks for your review. There's been such negative stuff posted lately about Ocean View and cutting back on offerings it's nice to hear some recent positive feedback.

• Like 4

Celebrity is very close to HAL in experience so if you're ok with HAL, you'll be ok on Celebrity.  The dress codes are identical, really (dress-up nights are called different things but the requirements are essentially the same except HAL says no jeans).  Celebrity ships are a little more modern in design and decor.  That's the main difference I've found outside of no indoor smoking on any Celebrity ship (versus some on some HAL ships).  Other differences are down to personal preference, IMO, but overall there is a lot of overlap in customers as well as customer experiences.  

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:36 PM, tserface said:

We're really looking forward to cruising next month.  Thanks for your review. There's been such negative stuff posted lately about Ocean View and cutting back on offerings it's nice to hear some recent positive feedback.

we just got off the 4-night cruise on Silhouette April 6-10. No complaints about the variety or quality of food in the Oceanview Cafe (the buffet) or the MDR. Didnt do any specialty dining. Here's the "dessert" spread at the OVC on Easter Sunday:

39C47E74-9943-4B17-A579-FE9609B3643E.thumb.jpeg.1890051b649ce6771da0fa605f959093.jpeg72F611E1-56AC-4B7C-923E-190202785E3C.thumb.jpeg.dfef5a3091b17d4cf43a2f05f2cf5037.jpeg38BF9480-662C-4DB4-A747-07292DD25614.thumb.jpeg.18d2b45f843f17a467f015008fe4faf1.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 2:06 PM, tserface said:

Would be dinner only

On 4/10/2023 at 9:30 AM, migdet71 said:

There was a good variety of food options

@migdet71, with the buffet what was offered for dinner?

I think that Celebrity chic night dress suggestions are about as casual as it can get.  No shorts or flip flops, but otherwise pretty wide open.  

BTW, I wonder the difference between flip flops and toe post sandals.  They are really the same thing but flip flops are not allowed.   

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

we just got off the 4-night cruise on Silhouette April 6-10. No complaints about the variety or quality of food in the Oceanview Cafe (the buffet) or the MDR. Didnt do any specialty dining. Here's the "dessert" spread at the OVC on Easter Sunday:

39C47E74-9943-4B17-A579-FE9609B3643E.thumb.jpeg.1890051b649ce6771da0fa605f959093.jpeg72F611E1-56AC-4B7C-923E-190202785E3C.thumb.jpeg.dfef5a3091b17d4cf43a2f05f2cf5037.jpeg38BF9480-662C-4DB4-A747-07292DD25614.thumb.jpeg.18d2b45f843f17a467f015008fe4faf1.jpeg

We also did the 4 day on the Silhouette and so glad we did a 10 day on the Equinox as a B2B.  Very disappointed in booking a 4 day during the holiday period (note to self).   This felt more like a Royal Caribbean cruise as the atmosphere IMO didn't feel like a Celebrity cruise.   Soooooo many people in the pool that had glass bottles in hand.  Celebrity pool attendants were crazy busy and I assume could not keep up with monitoring the bottle issue.    Food right at the pool and fruit at the bottom of the pool.    The rest of the time was good but pool side not what I had experienced on all of our other cruises

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

BTW, I wonder the difference between flip flops and toe post sandals.  They are really the same thing but flip flops are not allowed.   

The only shoes I took on our Reflection cruise were toe post sandals. Wore them in the MDR, Tuscan, and Lawn Club Grill. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Would be dinner only

@migdet71, with the buffet what was offered for dinner?

Lots of options.  Usually a roast beast, of some kind at a slicing station.  The roast beef was particularly good, but they also had turkey and ham...  Had some really good fish and chips one night...I was impressed with their variety of vegetable options as well.  Mixed sautéed summer squashes, steamed cauliflower, and brussels sprouts even made a few appearances!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:06 PM, tserface said:

There's been such negative stuff posted lately about Ocean View

On our two recent cruises ( Equinox and Edge ) the food quality and selection in the OVC was fine, in fact very good. Lots of Staff around to assist if needed .

It's some of the " Attendees "  are what the " negative stuff " is all about.

Unbelievable how some people act--- and, the amount of food that's wasted is awful !! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

It's some of the " Attendees" are what the " negative stuff " is all about.

The best was on a recent Celebrity sailing when I witnessed a rather robust gentleman strolling into and perusing the Oceanview Cafe without his shirt on.  And of course, he was eating off his plate while he perused.  You just can't make this stuff up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:57 PM, Pinboy said:

On our two recent cruises ( Equinox and Edge ) the food quality and selection in the OVC was fine, in fact very good. Lots of Staff around to assist if needed .

Unbelievable how some people act--- and, the amount of food that's wasted is awful !! 

agree....about the food wastage...it's sinful

• 3 weeks later...

We are due to sail off on our first Celebrity cruise in July and we are on the Silhouette so I am happy to hear that people are still getting great food as I was getting concerned from some posts. We are very casual in our dress and love wearing t-shirts and trousers. We will have to take some other tops with us to change into for MDR and Le Petit Chef but most of the time we'll be in t-shirts.

We witnessed someone not allowed to enter the main dining room for dinner while in Bermuda.  He was dressed in "Bermuda" shorts with knee socks and a shirt and tie as many business people wear for proper attire in Bermuda.  His group met him before they entered the dining room and had a fun time with his outfit.  Then Celebrity refused his entry and he had to go put pants on.   I felt badly and I think maybe the person seating them was going by their standard rules but he was dressed appropriately.  Honestly he looked better than many other gentlemen. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, Pinboy said:

To combat this sinful food wasting, all X need to do is make great tasting food and so it gets eaten, not wasted…

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Pinboy said:

2----Next time try the MDR ( Main Dining Room )---- Other than Chic Nights ( usually only 2 per cruise)--- very casual except no shorts, flip flops, tshirts, baseball hats at dinner--- not a " big deal ".

Our first Celebrity (Summit) trip is coming up later this year. Even on non-Chic nights you're saying that shorts/t-shirts are not permitted in the MDR?

On 4/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, wallysdtr said:

We also did the 4 day on the Silhouette and so glad we did a 10 day on the Equinox as a B2B.  Very disappointed in booking a 4 day during the holiday period (note to self).   This felt more like a Royal Caribbean cruise as the atmosphere IMO didn't feel like a Celebrity cruise.   Soooooo many people in the pool that had glass bottles in hand.  Celebrity pool attendants were crazy busy and I assume could not keep up with monitoring the bottle issue.    Food right at the pool and fruit at the bottom of the pool.    The rest of the time was good but pool side not what I had experienced on all of our other cruises

Well that's concerning. Our first Celebrity trip will be a 4 night Thanksgiving cruise. But you saying it felt more like RCC and not saying Carnival at least eases my mind a bit. We're fine with a less posh experience so long as it doesn't become spring break chaos.

25 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Our first Celebrity (Summit) trip is coming up later this year. Even on non-Chic nights you're saying that shorts/t-shirts are not permitted in the MDR?

---

Well that's concerning. Our first Celebrity trip will be a 4 night Thanksgiving cruise. But you saying it felt more like RCC and not saying Carnival at least eases my mind a bit. We're fine with a less posh experience so long as it doesn't become spring break chaos.

No shorts in the main dining room or specialty restaurants at night.  Shorts are ok in the buffet.  The dress code is on Celebrity's website (excerpt below).  Regular T-shirts with sleeves are ok, but if you show up in a wife beater they may ask you to put on something else and come back.  You may or may not see or hear stories about people being in shorts in the MDR but those are anecdotal and you don't know the situation (lost luggage, sneaked past staff, etc.).  So be prepared to have a pair of jeans or khakis you can put on if you want to go to dinner outside the buffet. 

Shorter cruises may attract the booze cruise crowd.  Probably a little different over Thanksgiving since it's meant to be a family cruise.  Depends on how it's selling and whether or not they have to try to attract the partygoers to fill it up. 

AT NIGHT

SMART CASUAL

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. 

Edited by bEwAbG