Tipping

envy4u

12 hours ago, envy4u said:

Can we tip to whomever we want or are gratuities automatically withdrawn daily ? In other words do we have a choice?

Just FYI - if you remove the auto gratuities and then give money directly to a crew member, the crew member is not allowed to keep it and it must be turned into the tipping pool.  Now, if you leave the auto grats on, any additional tips you give out ARE kept by the specific crew member.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Just FYI - if you remove the auto gratuities and then give money directly to a crew member, the crew member is not allowed to keep it and it must be turned into the tipping pool.  Now, if you leave the auto grats on, any additional tips you give out ARE kept by the specific crew member.

Where is this officially stated by HAL?  I have read varying things about tipping on CC, but never that one.  What you state seems highly impractical.  You tip a crew member early on the cruise a couple dollars, then he is supposed to go to some list at the end of the cruise to see if you paid or removed the standard gratuities (since this might not happen to the last night)?  Would he remember all the people who gave him tips during the cruise?  It just doesn't seem possible.

Why isn't there is a sticky post on the HAL forum since this topic, in various forms, comes up every couple weeks.

35 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Why isn't there is a sticky post on the HAL forum since this topic, in various forms, comes up every couple weeks.

Does anyone really read the "Stickies"?

I don't know that HAL needs to post this publicly. Its a personnel issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Where is this officially stated by HAL?  I have read varying things about tipping on CC, but never that one.  What you state seems highly impractical.  You tip a crew member early on the cruise a couple dollars, then he is supposed to go to some list at the end of the cruise to see if you paid or removed the standard gratuities (since this might not happen to the last night)?  Would he remember all the people who gave him tips during the cruise?  It just doesn't seem possible.

There used to be a sticky.  We had so many that normal posting only started 1/2 way down the 1st page.  Many complained about the over abundance of stickies and it, like many others was subsequently removed.

There is nothing on the HAL site.  It’s a fact.  All you have to do is ask a crew member.  Or see the look on a concierge’s face when someone says remove them - I take care of my own.  She confirmed it for me.   Many of us have seen the listing inside the crew’s working space at one time or another.  

I have my own personal suspicion that the crew has their own grapevine and know who among their frequent cruisers have a history of  tipping additional and removing the crew incentive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

This letter was posted some time ago here:

image.thumb.png.a0f0b460ee3cb6e0171ff54cb3da81f5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

How would crew member know if they can keep the tip? Do they need to check account for everyone who tip them? What if someone decided to remove auto tip last moment (I hope this does not happen) but I can't imaging crew members has time for that kind of research. I think there is a big disconnect between those who provided answers and those who actually works on the ships.

5 minutes ago, iaae22 said:

How would crew member know if they can keep the tip? Do they need to check account for everyone who tip them? What if someone decided to remove auto tip last moment (I hope this does not happen) but I can't imaging crew members has time for that kind of research. I think there is a big disconnect between those who provided answers and those who actually works on the ships.

As discussed here many times, when you remove the automatic tips, the supervisor of your cabin attendants or dining room staff are notified. The supervisor will advise the employees of the removal of the automatic tips.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shakuyi said:

its probably an honor system, how many do you think actually turn in their cash tips?

I don't think the employees,  who live and work very closely with other crew, want to be perceived as people who are cheating the system. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As discussed here many times, when you remove the automatic tips, the supervisor of your cabin attendants or dining room staff are notified. The supervisor will advise the employees of the removal of the automatic tips.

I can understand that, but what about other that I tipped – like in bars, buffet, spatiality dining? I hope they don’t expected to turn in their tips as I feel it was a reason I tip them directly - as they provided exceptional service to me.

I remember a woman I met on a transatlantic who was incredibly stressed out about additional tipping. Others were discussing how much extra they were going to leave some crew. I told her that there is no need to do that but make sure you leave the auto gratuities in place. She did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

On my recent NA cruise I specifically asked my cabin steward, directly, if she will get to keep any cash I give her - literally give her - in her hand.  She said, "Yes, but I will share it with my partner." (Which of course I was perfectly happy about. The pair did a stellar job) So, apparently it's not true that they can't keep it, unless different crew have different rules.  For example, I believe bartenders and baristas are NOT allowed to accept any cash tips.  Cabin attendants, however, as I stated, apparently can.  In years past, we always gave cash on the last day to our servers in the Main Dining Room, and it was my impression they could keep it.  Now, I don't know.  I rarely eat in the MDR anymore and don't have any servers who know me well by the end of the cruise as in the "olden" days. 

54 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Do you have any idea what the purpose is of the cabin attendants being told when people have removed their automatic gratuities?

A question about pre paid crew appreciation:  On our most recent cruise, the gratuities were included in the early booking bonus.  While on board they continued to deduct tips even after I showed them a print out of the pre paid gratuity benefit on our booking.  It took a couple of trips to guest services to get this corrected.  So on day 4 of a 7 day cruise they removed the gratuity amounts from our account.  I am hoping the crew member doesn't think we removed the tips.  And I am wondering if this "crew appreciation" actually gets to the crew as it should.  Or do they think we stiffed them, which we would never do except in an extreme situation.  We did give our cabin steward an extra $20 at the end, but does he think that is all we tipped & does he have to add it to the tipping pool due to the fact that it appeared our tips were removed.  I wish they would show the pre paid amount as a credit, then deduct daily.

23 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Do you have any idea what the purpose is of the cabin attendants being told when people have removed their automatic gratuities?

So they would know they have to turn anything you might give them into the pool (if you have removed automatic tips).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iaae22 said:

I can understand that, but what about other that I tipped – like in bars, buffet, spatiality dining? I hope they don’t expected to turn in their tips as I feel it was a reason I tip them directly - as they provided exceptional service to me.

The bar staff and spa employees are on different contracts. Bar staff split the tips under a formula that goes something like (assuming an 18% tip) 12% for the bartenders, 5% for the waiters, 1% for the staff party fund (it has a more appropriate name).

I don't know the spa staff arrangement. The specialty restaurant staff are the same as the MDR staff...part of the automatic tips.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

A question about pre paid crew appreciation:  On our most recent cruise, the gratuities were included in the early booking bonus.  While on board they continued to deduct tips even after I showed them a print out of the pre paid gratuity benefit on our booking.  It took a couple of trips to guest services to get this corrected.  So on day 4 of a 7 day cruise they removed the gratuity amounts from our account.  I am hoping the crew member doesn't think we removed the tips.  And I am wondering if this "crew appreciation" actually gets to the crew as it should.  Or do they think we stiffed them, which we would never do except in an extreme situation.  We did give our cabin steward an extra $20 at the end, but does he think that is all we tipped & does he have to add it to the tipping pool due to the fact that it appeared our tips were removed.  I wish they would show the pre paid amount as a credit, then deduct daily.

No worries.  It’s known if your crew incentive is pre-paid - whether you do it on line or with a perk from HAL or a TA.

You wouldn’t be on the “list” since you didn’t remove them 😉 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

No worries.  It’s known if your crew incentive is pre-paid - whether you do it on line or with a perk from HAL or a TA.

You wouldn’t be on the “list” since you didn’t remove them 😉 

Thanks, I really worried that crew would think we removed them, since it appeared that way on our statement.  We have that benefit again for a cruise we booked while onboard- so I will quit stressing.

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

For example, I believe bartenders and baristas are NOT allowed to accept any cash tips.

Yes, the bar staff can accept cash tips.  I have been told by them several times that they share it among the other bar staff.  I never asked what the specific percentage breakdown of the sharing was. I have the impression that different ships handle the bar sharing differently.  I figure that's their business as long as the individuals can keep it and not the company. (I don't drink coffee so don't know about the barista policy)

~Nancy