Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Thanks, much relieved by your comments. I guess what is/isn’t important to one guest is to another. After your comments I am more likely to consider giving one a go next year…

One thing that blew me away was the availability of Electrical Outlets an USb.    I may not have counted them all but no need for adapters or USB converters

Living room -   6 each 110V outlets   4 each 220V and 2 USB

Bedroom    -   5 each 110 V outlets    2 3ach 220 V and 4 USB     (outlets by both sides of bed)

I know there is at least one or more in the bathroom but maybe for shaver.

I had requested an extension Cord and definitely didn't need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures of the RS.  I think I prefer the configuration on M class ships.  Prefer two sinks in the master bath.  Is there a door between the bedroom and the living room on your ship?  Not evident from the pictures.  Also, I did not see a table on the small balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

One thing that blew me away was the availability of Electrical Outlets an USb.    I may not have counted them all but no need for adapters or USB converters

Living room -   6 each 110V outlets   4 each 220V and 2 USB

Bedroom    -   5 each 110 V outlets    2 3ach 220 V and 4 USB     (outlets by both sides of bed)

I know there is at least one or more in the bathroom but maybe for shaver.

I had requested an extension Cord and definitely didn't need.

Now all those outlets just are not important to me! Just goes to show what impresses one person doesn’t another!

did not care for the tv up there

not that TV / movies on X have much to.offer..used to be great but  was seriously cut back awhile ago..

our friends have a bedroom tv that  comes up from a small cabinet in front of the bed..very cool!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks, much relieved by your comments. I guess what is/isn’t important to one guest is to another. After your comments I am more likely to consider giving one a go next year…

@chemmo, one thing I thought about with the Edge Villa is that if we ever won a move up bid, we’d plan our days. At night take the lift to the bedroom floor (full bathroom there!) and during the day the lift to the ground floor - half bath there. Well that’s my plan for my 89 year old mum! 
so pleased you are planning to cruise again - bittersweet I know but you will enjoy it.

Wendy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

And that’s what I love about cruising!  There are different things for everyone. After that review of the RS, we will pass. We just got an AMAZING Move Up offer for a RS on the Apex at the end of June and would much prefer to stay in our Sunset Sky Suite. 

• Like 1

Wondering what you are doing for dinner.

You and Iain have Luminae plus unlimited free specialty.

Evelyn and Alex have Blu.

Are you forfeiting your options to dine with them in Blu?

Or spending the up-charge for them to dine with you in Luminae or specialty ?

First world problems !!!

Edited by TommyD3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks for the pictures of the RS.  I think I prefer the configuration on M class ships.  Prefer two sinks in the master bath.  Is there a door between the bedroom and the living room on your ship?  Not evident from the pictures.  Also, I did not see a table on the small balcony.

We were in a RS on Apex last year. The bathroom is decadent. The sink is very long, with a faucet at each end, so in effect it’s a double vanity. Even when my partner & I were using the sink at the same time were were 4-5 feet apart lol. And it has a great walk-in shower. There are 2 sliding doors between the bedroom/master bath & living room. We had 2 small tables on the balcony that we had breakfast on each morning. They were the height of the lounge chairs, so not a true dining table height. Overall a fantastic suite experience!

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes two doors also a separate powder room

thing I don’t like on all 2 room suites is the door are frosted glass.  If one partner gets up early and opens the blackout shades the bedroom is bathed in light

also in RS only door to deck is in bedroom. 

11 hours ago, hcat said:

did not care for the tv up there

not that TV / movies on X have much to.offer..used to be great but  was seriously cut back awhile ago..

our friends have a bedroom tv that  comes up from a small cabinet in front of the bed..very cool!

I was able to get my Amazon Sticks goin lg so watch YouTube tv home station.   I like to watch our home news.  We also watch Jeopardy when we retire in the evening.  Ok. We are hooked. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And that’s what I love about cruising!  There are different things for everyone. After that review of the RS, we will pass. We just got an AMAZING Move Up offer for a RS on the Apex at the end of June and would much prefer to stay in our Sunset Sky Suite. 

I think my favorite for RS and Penthouse is the M class.   for ships themselves I think our sweet spot is S-class

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Wondering what you are doing for dinner.

You and Iain have Luminae plus unlimited free specialty.

Evelyn and Alex have Blu.

Are you forfeiting your options to dine with them in Blu?

Or spending the up-charge for them to dine with you in Luminae or specialty ?

First world problems !!!

we paid the premium for the Suited Privilege program.  The get access to Luminae and Retreat.   Last night we went to Eden for Alex birthday.   Unpaid and the gave me 30% Zeniths discount for their meal 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

@chemmo, one thing I thought about with the Edge Villa is that if we ever won a move up bid, we’d plan our days. At night take the lift to the bedroom floor (full bathroom there!) and during the day the lift to the ground floor - half bath there. Well that’s my plan for my 89 year old mum! 
so pleased you are planning to cruise again - bittersweet I know but you will enjoy it.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

The Edge Villa misses our brief on two counts. As you have already guessed one aspect is my mobility issue. The second issue for the villa is it doesn’t allow two true separate sleeping areas and if I am cruising with my son and his GF that is a must. We happily cruised as a four in the S class PH and have cruised zillions of times as a three in a RS. The layout and balcony size meet our needs in both suites.

Much as I am reassured by many on the E class RS I sort of feel I am paying more for less if that makes sense….Another option is to fly to cruise and stick with S class or return to the M PH. My husband and I cruised both Millie and Summit in the PH and always planned on doing one again much as ship wise we prefer the S class. Time to get browsing…

Funny how time changes. When we first started cruising it was all about itinerary and visiting new places now the ship is more important. I may just let my son and GF choose an itinerary and then go with the flow on the ship and room….

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Funny how time changes. When we first started cruising it was all about itinerary and visiting new places now the ship is more important.

Exactly.

My husband now likes to go from Southampton and it’s Silhouettes last season here.

We took a long time deciding where we were going this year, as I really wanted to go on Silhouette one last time and he has fallen out with flying ( maybe because he’s due for a replacement hip).

Time will tell.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was able to get my Amazon Sticks goin lg so watch YouTube tv home station.   I like to watch our home news.  We also watch Jeopardy when we retire in the evening.  Ok. We are hooked. 

Glad you got your TV going. And thanks again for bringing us along. We also watch Jeopardy as a nightcap! 

On 5/15/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jim_Iain said:

This Cruise is really lightly populated.    The official count is 1,675.    They said the last to Norway was 1,550.   This one all suites filled but last one they had 50 suites empty.

@Jim_Iain interested in understanding who quoted the 1,550 on the Norwegian cruise as on the ship they twice mentioned (first day and captains club gathering) it would be close to 2,000 on the ship. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip and love your blog. 

• Like 1

We started with Dundee Door.  It was so nice out and we were all so fit he suggested we walk down.   No one was there and even Danny was taking pictures.  He said it is early this clear and warm. 

IMG_4720.thumb.jpeg.eb71f43dd456c67fb93f7bd0692a6282.jpeg

IMG_4725.thumb.jpeg.590a0bbf7ec6651d08c25779cf6d87b4.jpeg

IMG_4726.thumb.jpeg.f7228a0f3891257f7b13cfb315d5403a.jpeg

IMG_4732.thumb.jpeg.cd67da1610b1191ddd626a60f8d9846e.jpeg

IMG_4733.thumb.jpeg.6d2cf89c42ad84e56c0c5b4906c863a1.jpeg

IMG_4735.thumb.jpeg.421e1af4cd286d965d6c76672fbdfe22.jpeg

• Like 20

Next Corfe Castle, Wareham

IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.932429be042885b9c74210714bb424b7.jpeg

IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.d7734110d6c5e1ad884eaef3a99664a1.jpeg

IMG_4818.thumb.jpeg.1ca03c5d01a0cb61d726d3597c06c9cd.jpeg

IMG_4822.thumb.jpeg.abd48af806d89253ee5aa06d18a91584.jpeg

IMG_4825.thumb.jpeg.8cc62665f5e49950e37275a7723178d8.jpeg

IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.f37b090006615001859ff3114d705e48.jpeg

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.4025e3a61f1131d54815e929d709cdee.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

To finish off we grabbed Cornish meat pies to starve off the hunger.  Absolutely incredible.   Mine was hot from the oven and hat to let it cool to eat.   Flakey and so juicy. 

IMG_4820.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 20

Abbotsbury Swannery

Abbotsbury Swannery is the only place in the world where you are able to walk through the heart of a colony of nesting Mute Swans. A visit to this beautiful and tranquil place is one of the most popular things to do in Dorset.

Located on the dramatic Dorset Coast, this unique natural wildlife habitat is spread over a site of some 25 acres and is home to the only managed colony of free-flying mute swans in the world.

The 600-year-old swannery is a natural history paradise. The Swannery was established by Benedictine Monks who built a monastery at Abbotsbury in the 1940s.

During the nesting and hatching period (end May to end June), it is possible to be standing next to hatching eggs and if you’re very lucky, you may even witness a cygnet being born right before your eyes.

IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.20837f5b6137d8fcd1894e05b6025161.jpeg

IMG_4837.thumb.jpeg.6cab39ce00e3ed20c65d05d47ab09351.jpeg

IMG_4851.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 15