Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

18 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I saw the mushroom pot pie and it looks good. I will have to try it on Summit. We board in 2 weeks and I am so excited.

Laura

Laura -  I think I mentioned that one day in OVC they have a Chicken or Beef Pot Pie ---- Not to be missed.  If I knew they had them the heck with Luminae...

We have some friends on Summit now they say only at about 60% for the re positing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are light eaters and have never wanted for anything at lunch.    At home I usually have a bowl of Oatmeal..... Laugh.... that's how I diet.    I'm going to be eating a lot of oatmeal when I get home for sure.   I'm definitely not loosing weight.    We have been told that anything we would like on the ship given 24 hours notice they will accommodate. 

That's our breakfast too! Oatmeal made with Almond milk,with some sliced almonds, dried cranberries, honey. And of course coffee!

Awhile ago we did a land trip in Ireland and stayed at a castle which also had modern apartments for vacation rentals. I wanted to enjoy the famous Irish oatmeal and at breakfast asked for it. The server had a puzzled look on her face and said we don't have OATMEAL. Another server overheard the conversation and said, oh you mean PORRIDGE. I thought it odd that a server in a hotel wouldn't know the other terms for porridge. 

Last year after a long cruise on Carnival we stayed in London post-cruise at a IHG Staybridge hotel in Central London. It had a great breakfast spread. Although they didn't have fresh made porridge they did have those Quaker Oats Instant Porridge cups. What was unique about it is unlike the American version the British version had powdered MILK in it with the oats. When you added the hot water you needed to stir very vigorously and then you had this really creamy porridge that you can't get just using plain water.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

I love how they publish the menus. Jumped down to Blu for prime rib tonight.IMG_6821.thumb.jpeg.38e898fffa4bc39809ce4fcee6ce46a1.jpeg

Is that on Apex for tonight... I may just have to have to all in a favor ----shhh...

19 hours ago, JackE said:

The chocolate sphere on the Apex is amazing!

We had it and was REALLY good ...  Half Vanilla and Half Chocolate and Bailey's somehow fits it there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I need to go back to the post where you posted those menu’s and save a copy.  Our next sailing is a 13 day next year.

It worked, although I only received a single scoop of gelato it is exactly what I wanted. 

John,   When I get home will scan all then in a PDF and send you. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

jim.. Enjoy Cobh.. what are your plans?

Be warned it is going to be a photo intensive post when I get caught up. 

We went to Spike Island.  I booked it on our own last night for 21 euros pp vs 80 usd from ship. 

It is not to be missed.  A perfect day. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Goodness. I really need to pack more warmer clothing than usual for my TransAtlantic at the end of the month.  You’ve certainly had your share of waves and weather for your TA!

Could be totally different in a month.  Pack for layering and you will be perfect. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DisneyJen said:

Can't wait for you to share those menus @Jim_Iain as we all know the X app isn't great until boarding day.

I found they are not doing in 1,2 3 order.   I use the app and see first appetizer then look through the stack.  

Funny Marcus said last night he has never served the day 12-14 menus so having a hard time being able to explain.   

He was so cute last night.  I asked him what the crem brûlée Dome.   He Google on his phone and showed me a pic.   I was thinking a spun sugar dome.   Just an upside down brûlée (dome). 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  Here is an example of why you need to change your mind about okra.  This is one of the best appetizers on the MDR menu.

Spicy Louisiana Gumbo

IMG_9309.thumb.jpeg.8b2a60dc032826ba81b860513edcd07c.jpeg

I confess that I usually order two servinhs anf five gallons to go.

IMG_3408.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We went to Spike Island.  I booked it on our own last night for 21 euros pp vs 80 usd from ship

It’s amazing what I learn from these boards.

I had never heard of it, so Googled:

‘Ireland’s Alcatraz’

Never been a bigger prison in UK.

13 hours ago, haynesra said:

Is this only available in Luminae?

OOPs... just looked at your picture ---What we had last night was on day 13 desert and was the Vanilla and Bailey's Sunday.   It was made like a dome

• Like 1

5/1  Dinner Menu

IMG_3410.thumb.jpeg.8130d0f5d68744673eda2876a0dbc41f.jpeg

IMG_3411.thumb.jpeg.288c0b80b87a79a428a17a0624605cc9.jpeg

I had a hard time ordering last night.   After looking at the menu -  Iain was going to go for a Petite File and I suggested he have the Veal Cheeks...  He did and loved them.   What can I say he's from Scotland and eats parts of animals that I gag on just thinking of eating...

I was going to select the Balsamic Glazed Vegs and Wild Mushroom Ravioli.  Sony nixed both and said not as long as I'm your waiter...he said both choices were not very good.... OK.. Sony.... What would you suggest...

He said he could do the Rib Eye Steak Salad without the steak... I said no do the steak... I should have picked it as a main... really good.   I chose the Butternut Squash Ravioli -  It was good but the ravioli was a bit more al Dante that I wold have liked.... the sauce and diced butternut squash was yum

IMG_3112.thumb.jpeg.be8acd569c1549c75ab4957cf59dd22d.jpeg

IMG_3113.thumb.jpeg.7dd392f9197dce31cc4ab223b985f090.jpeg

IMG_3114.thumb.jpeg.31cae5f29216a2d4cfe27d067b996c22.jpeg

For Desert we both went with the Creme Brulee but I also had  a scoop of ice cream with mine.   Now come on menu people.... would you call that a dome?

IMG_3115.thumb.jpeg.04ebd943c307a9a0d6d06fae4e973cd7.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ok... we made it down 1,000 feet to Spike Island check-in an picked up our tickets for a day on Spike Island.

We didn't have any plans today an last night at dinner decided to go to Spike Island.   Celebrity had a tour there for $80 per person but we booked it on line direct with Spike Island Ferry at 9 PM for $42.00 US for 2.

Half of our boat was a Celebrity Group.   After everyone was on the boat here comes a 'ol Gal that could barely walk taking about 10 minutes to get down the gangway and onto the ship.  It was low tide and it was a steep incline.    I was thinking why would anyone with mobility issues go on a tour that requires a lot of walking.   I'm not sure how she got off the vessel let alone hike the 1/4 mile uphile to the Fort with lots of stairs etc... oh well... I said thank God we weren't on that tour and have to wait for her at each stop.

I know I'm unkind but I hope I know my limits when I get Old (older).

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

John,   When I get home will scan all then in a PDF and send you. 

Thank you sir.  It would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll be sure and put it to good use. 

Edited by DaKahuna

Having time to explore before boarding.  We walked West Beach.   Ireland is often gray and drizzly which is the reason for the Bright colors.  

We were rewarded with a beautiful day.  Early morning marine layer broke to a broken cloud layer.   My puffer didn’t last long. 

IMG_3167.thumb.jpeg.075b936d214f81db64d9d0c2370e323d.jpeg

IMG_3168.thumb.jpeg.d52d4305043dc0dfe53c9a45efdb7f3d.jpeg

Post Office. 

IMG_3169.thumb.jpeg.3af9ef5dffdeec85c011e0c2a8c2a766.jpeg

Tribute tiles to families lost on Lusitania. 

IMG_3170.thumb.jpeg.c9cd33855d2687a8fd819316f043099c.jpeg

IMG_3171.thumb.jpeg.7db501729e715205feddb37a0c9f26a4.jpeg

IMG_3172.thumb.jpeg.45a70049f9b5380cd2ba2a4e8120e042.jpeg

IMG_3174.thumb.jpeg.63f8ff1f0f2b53d980e757c9270d35cd.jpeg

IMG_3176.thumb.jpeg.74187f09b82c65260156f9e3c7eaf6b7.jpeg

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.0f6c7a8111e410a03c642405ade4d80f.jpeg

IMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.b10bb29b37d9bc2b8803dd0a3200060a.jpeg

IMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.159a68136af36c93ffb792afcaeb2d40.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We do have a strange schedule.   We have been out all day and have not had lunch at 3:30 so hitting Retreat for Afternoon - Tea.    A couple finger sandwiches, Scones and Clotted Cream and a sweet will be perfect.... not sure Iain will get his nap today.

Not necessarily strange, just different.  On our Apex one day, we had a lunch/dinner as late as possible at the Le Grand Bistro.  Sometimes we are not very hungry and cannot stop ourselves.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1