New Specialty Dining restaurant, The Catch by Rudi

Cruise Craig

The Catch by Rudi Sodamin will premier on April 15th when the Enchanted Princess comes out of Dry dock. It will also be coming to the Majestic Princess on May 5th, Sky Princess on May 7th and the Discovery Princess this fall.

It appears to be replacing Bistro Sur La Mer but it may go to the current location of Sabatinis with Sabatinis moving to Bistro Sur La Mer's old location. 

I am excited for the change. I love seafood and our experience at Rudi's Seagrill aboard Carnival Mardi Gras was fantastic. How do you feel about the change? Are you going to miss Bistro Sur La Mer?

I'm posting some pictures from my dining at Rudi's Seagrill taken August 2022 on the Mardi Gras 

Here is the link to the full announcement https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/04/princess-unveils-the-catch-by-rudi-new-signature-seafood-restaurant/

20220830_180118.jpg

20220830_175114.jpg

20220830_174046.jpg

20220830_182648.jpg

Edited by Cruise Craig
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Cruise Craig changed the title to New Specialty Dining restaurant, The Catch by Rudi

Not sure if the Bistro ever found a following, but our experience on the Enchanted when it was new was abysmal. The waiter actually talked us out of our first three choices! Once we did settle on whatever we had (it was forgettable), we were underwhelmed. The place was empty when we walked up but the gate keeper played the "exclusive" game with us to the point where we had to return the next night (it was empty then as well). They apparently got our reservation wrong and booked us for the night after we wanted, so we were already wary of the place. 

• Like 1

We're looking forward to trying it. We enjoy the food on Princess, and also enjoy the specialty restaurants as a way to try something different and elevate the experience a bit. After all, we saved for the cruise; we're not going to save while we're ON the cruise💕yolo💕

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

We are booked for the Halloween Cruise on the Discovery this October. The Catch is scheduled for the ship in fall. There is not an option to book The Catch but you can book the Bistro.

Do you think if we book the Bistro will they transfer it to the Catch if it is available?

Slightly off-topic, I know...but on the Sky The Catch was located on deck 7 above the Piazza.  It takes up that entire "half" of deck 7 overlooking the Piazza.  I was very leery of it when I booked, thinking that it was going to be somewhat like Alfredo's where people were walking by you very close...but that's not the case at all.  If you want to traverse deck 7 you have to go to the opposite side.  It's a fairly decent arrangement since you get to hear whatever music is being played in the Piazza.

1 hour ago, Cancun01 said:

Are there any non-fish/non-seafood items on the menu for those in our party who don’t care for fish/seafood?

Here’s the menu posted on Jeter2’s current lived thread from Sky Princess…$39

IMG_6751.jpeg

IMG_6752.jpeg

• Thanks 1

For the surcharge items like the fantastic journey platter are we still able to order an appetizer (opening gambite) and entree (Beauty on a Plate) or is the extra charge items considered a more expensive substitute?

It's not really clear to me if I'm paying 30 for an addon to my entree or a fancier entree.

19 minutes ago, Cruise Craig said:

For the surcharge items like the fantastic journey platter are we still able to order an appetizer (opening gambite) and entree (Beauty on a Plate) or is the extra charge items considered a more expensive substitute?

It's not really clear to me if I'm paying 30 for an addon to my entree or a fancier entree.

The way I read it there is a “cover charge $39 per person” with additional “surcharges” ranging from $18 for 6 oysters up to $100 for Sevruga Caviar.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

Currently on the Majestic Princess.  The Catch by Rudi is stinking up the Piazza area when it's open in the evenings.  It smells like fish/seafood (who would have thought?) and is unpleasant.  The smells waft down to the Photo Gallery on Deck 6 and the watch shop across the way on Deck 7.

1 hour ago, Cruise Craig said:

WOWZA!  Bad enough the $39 cover charge and then more surcharges?!

• Like 1

On the Enchanted right now.  Ate at Rudy's last night at 9pm, which was the restaurants listed closing time so it was odd this booking was available.

To clarify the location questions. On the Enchanted,  The Catch by Rudy, is where Sabatinis used to be. An abbreviated Sabatinis has been moved to where the French bistro was located.

I don't know if our experience was impacted by being so "late" but in multiple people's opinions it wasn't living up to the expectations of a specialty dining experience for an upcharge. Some food items were great, too many were just OK.

Service had some slips, and the table we had for 6 almost made it impossible for 2 of our group to get proper service.

On the positive side, it's great to have so many seafood options.

Based on our experience we would not go back. But as I opened with, this may have all been a result of starting our meal when the restaurant is supposed to be closing.

35 minutes ago, BobAnne said:

I’d love to see this replace the Bayou Cafe on the Island. To be fair,  I’d like to see almost anything replace the Bayou Cafe on the Island. LOL

We had our best specialty dining experience in more than a decade in the Bayou Cafe on the Coral Princess in April. The fillet and the lamb chops were outstanding. The Coral was home-ported in Australia so maybe that made a difference especially with provisioning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

But caviar and vodka are not your everyday restaurant fare... 🙂

Didn't say it was everyday restaurant fare...just said there are several uncharges (not just $10 like Crown) and some of them were steep.
Looks really good and I love seafood but I predict it doesn't last long....we'll see.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Didn't say it was everyday restaurant fare...just said there are several uncharges (not just $10 like Crown) and some of them were steep.
Looks really good and I love seafood but I predict it doesn't last long....we'll see.

Caviar doesn't grow on trees. I'll be willing to partake in more then my share before they have to throw it out. Beside I spend more than that every time I walk into costco, and I'll get more enjoyment eating sevruga then wiping my bottom with three hundred dollar dollar toilet paper from costco 😆

• Like 1