Packing for my Panama Canal Cruise

PandaBear62

This is the longest cruise I’ve ever taken (it’s 16 days). I tried to look at weather and it appears that it should be in the mid 70’s to 80’s, so nice and warm.

I started off with fewer clothes and then decided, what the heck, I’ll add more and give myself more options. So the list below is what I actually packed and wore on the plane. 

5 pants (3 Athleta Brooklyn type pants in taupe, navy and black. One pair of navy what I call crop pants-hitting about 3” above my ankle-longer than a Capri and one pair of black pants that are by Chicos and are dressier)

10 tops (3 short sleeved and 7 sleeveless. Three nice tee style and the rest like blouses or tunics)

2 lightweight cardigans in navy and black (I get cold in public rooms)

5 dresses (1 simple LBD, 1 nicer flowy patterned that hit mid calf, 2 more casual patterned dresses that are just above mid calf and 1 simple a-line floral that hits just below the knee)

1 bike short and 1 shaper to wear under dresses 

1 wine colored pashmina/scarf to dress up a floral kind of flowy dress for dinner and/or the LBD

1 short kimono for the LBD (will also work with some pants and tops combinations)

1 swimsuit

1 sleep shirt

7 underwear 

4 bras

4 pairs of knee highs and 6 pairs of no show socks

4 shoes: 2 slip on Skechers, 1 pair of flats, 1 Teva sandals

1 packable hat

1 disposable poncho to take just in case for excursions

1 quart bag for liquids and the small Sea to Summit toiletry bag

Quart sized plastic bag for electronic misc 

Kindle and 2 iPads (one is for work)

1 small soft zippered case with my just in case OTC meds, vitamins, etc

A crossbody phone case to use around the ship and for excursions

Coach packable tote (just in case). (https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m81764298085/)

1 small jewelry case

1 Chicos crossbody tote (https://www.buyma.us/items/0213d0ca-5a94-4d6d-9b17-d094d3aa23ee/)

Hello Mello travel wrap (https://www.soleilsboutique.com/products/hello-mello-weekender-travel-wrap-1)

S’well water bottle

5 tide pods for laundry

I am typically a very light packer. I took a 5 day cruise a couple of months ago with a personal item (28 liter bag) and a small crossbody tote. 

For this trip I decided to use my Rick Steves backpack (no wheels). It can be expanded a bit, but I did not do so, nor was it packed full. Despite this, it held way more than my Travelpro 22” roller yet is still a carryon bag. However, I shipped it through. I know there is always a danger of a bag getting lost, but given we had a non stop flight, we were flying first class (so get priority tags), used air tags and had United bag tracking, I wasn’t too worried. We also were flying in Tuesday for a Friday cruise departure. If our bag was delayed, we had plenty of time to get it back and worst case scenario, Houston has stores! Actually, in 30 years of trips, I’ve only ever had one bag go astray (it was dh’s) and it was delivered to us safe and sound the next day. We had to ship dh’s bag through anyway, since we were bringing some of our favorite wine from local wineries as a host gift for my cousin, who we were staying with before the cruise. 

Taking this many clothes is absolutely atypical for me. I just tend to be a much more minimalistic packer, so I don’t know exactly why I wanted to take more for this trip. All I can say is it’s a woman’s prerogative to change her mind!

I do plan to keep track of what I actually wore and if I used all the variety. I’m a big believer in taking favorites when I travel and that’s really what I did for this trip. The only “new” type items are the wine colored shawl/scarf and the kimono. I plan to use them both for the nicer dinner nights in the ship, because it’s a guarantee I will get cold with the a/c.

I struggle with how to wear a shawl. I did buy clips and a buckle (of sorts) to hook the shawl so I don’t have to constantly keep it over me. Most kimonos are way too long and narrow for me (I’m short and fat-about 5’2” and wear size 18/20 or 1X. This one is significantly shorter so I’m giving it a chance.

The dresses will also act as a swim coverup. 

Just by personal preference, I don’t tend to wear jeans, leggings, or casual tees. So my everyday wear can often be easily “dressed up” for the dress up nights on the ship (and the fact that these days, while a few still dress up a lot, many people dress very casual). I wear flats, due to my age and my plantars fasciitis. To dress them up a little bit, for the formal nights I add on shoe clips that go with my outfit, just to glam it up a bit and they take up virtually no space. 

I originally planned to bring a jeans jacket, just in case, but with the weather predictions I decided against it. Instead, I brought my Hello Mello travel shawl, which can be a shawl, a blanket or scarf.  I’m always cold on planes and it’s a great blanket! It will fit in a small tote much easier than a jacket if I get cold. 

In addition to the Rick Steves bag, which I shipped through, I carried a Kipling Sasha tote for on the plane and I packed an old (from 2013) Coach packable tote which I love. It is one big open space with a zipper. The case it fits in has two snaps and a zipper and attaches as a pocket inside the bag. It’s a great bag and has held up well. I seriously doubt I will need it because both my bags had space and I am not a big shopper on vacations, but you never know. If I find something I love I will have a bag to carry it on the plane. 

I brought  the Chicos crossbody tote for around the ship that can hold my phone, kindle, cardigan when not wearing it, water bottle etc. 

We landed in Houston and had our luggage quickly and were off to spend a couple of days with my cousins I hadn’t seen in awhile, so it has been a treat. The lightweight pants I brought have been perfect for this high 70’s/low 80’s weather, as I’m not too hot outside and not too cold inside wearing my cardigan with the air conditioning. 

We board the ship tomorrow so I’ll try and share how my packing has worked out (or possibly hasn’t worked-I’ll hope for the best!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to hearing how it works! I'm doing my first warm-weather cruise next winter (Jan 2024 FLL-SFO through the Panama Canal) and have a lot of thinking to do about packing. All of my other cruises have been transatlantic (so mostly indoors + more formal) or Alaska (so mostly indoors or on excursions + less formal.)

The item I looked for, to make sure it was included, was a hat.  I absolutely wore mine, with big brim, the entire day of the Canal.  White shirt for comfort plus sunburn protection.  It was very hot and very humid, but so worth being out on deck to watch everything.

27 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The item I looked for, to make sure it was included, was a hat.  I absolutely wore mine, with big brim, the entire day of the Canal.  White shirt for comfort plus sunburn protection.  It was very hot and very humid, but so worth being out on deck to watch everything.

Good to know! I did bring along 1 packable hat. I don’t love it but it’s something. Maybe I’ll look for another one at our first port.

5 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Looking forward to hearing how it works! I'm doing my first warm-weather cruise next winter (Jan 2024 FLL-SFO through the Panama Canal) and have a lot of thinking to do about packing. All of my other cruises have been transatlantic (so mostly indoors + more formal) or Alaska (so mostly indoors or on excursions + less formal.)

I’ll be sure to post how it works out!

One thing I needed on the canal day which I hadn't expected to was insect repellent  the ship moves slow enough for your to get bitten! And suntan lotion you'll need that!  I always have 2 swimsuits so one can dry - and if its going to a hot weather cruise I take a long sleeve sun protective shirt because some ships have very little shade over the pool 

• Like 2

Bug stuff is on my list now! Sunscreen (reef safe) in multiple formats is already on the list, and the swimsuits & swim coverups are there as well (although I still need to find one. I may end up just getting a pullover jersey sundress from Old Navy or something.) 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 5:07 AM, lissie said:

One thing I needed on the canal day which I hadn't expected to was insect repellent  the ship moves slow enough for your to get bitten! And suntan lotion you'll need that!  I always have 2 swimsuits so one can dry - and if its going to a hot weather cruise I take a long sleeve sun protective shirt because some ships have very little shade over the pool 

We actually brought insect repellant wipes (forgot to note, sorry) and have not used them at all through the canal. I would certainly agree to pack them, I was just surprised I didn’t need them. 

excursions we did:

Costa Rica: sloth sanctuary and butterflies

Panama City: boat ride through the old locks

Cartagena: mangrove canoe ride and walking tour of the old city. 

I also did not spend tons of time by the pool-too humid for me-but of course, that varies by person. 

• Like 1

We are on day 10. One thing I’ve noticed is that most people are not really dressing up at all on formal night. 

The first formal night I wore my “flowy” dress with a scarf/pashmina and flats…..I would say there were only maybe 20%-30% of the people dressier than me. The majority fell in my range….nice pants and a dressier top or simple dress.

The second night I wore my LBD and kimono and my flats and I felt the dressiness was even less.

We haven’t had the third formal night. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Which line are you on? 

Princess (the Ruby)

And to be clear, when I say “really dressing up” I’m talking women in cocktail and formal dresses, men in traditional suits with coat and tie or tuxes. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

The reason I ask is that my transit next winter is on Cunard, but as it's part of the QV's World Voyage, I expect the dress code to be rather strictly observed. 

yes, absolutely! The dresses I have used for Princess would not be appropriate for Cunard.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2023 at 9:25 AM, PandaBear62 said:

...I originally planned to bring a jeans jacket, just in case, but with the weather predictions I decided against it. Instead, I brought my Hello Mello travel shawl, which can be a shawl, a blanket or scarf.  I’m always cold on planes and it’s a great blanket! It will fit in a small tote much easier than a jacket if I get cold. 

Funny, you talked about not knowing how to wear a shawl, but then endorsed the Hello Mello. I looked it up and found it or a close facsimile in SALMON! one of my travel colors! I get very tired of everything coming in black, navy, or khaki. I put my order in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Funny, you talked about not knowing how to wear a shawl, but then endorsed the Hello Mello. I looked it up and found it or a close facsimile in SALMON! one of my travel colors! I get very tired of everything coming in black, navy, or khaki. I put my order in!

I use mine a lot, but as a shawl I just throw it over my shoulder. In terms of nicer ones, that you’d wear with a nice outfit, that’s wear I’m lost. The Hello Mello is great, but it’s definitely utilitarian…I wouldn’t wear it with a nice outfit to dress it up. So in my mind two different types of shawls!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:33 PM, neeuqdrazil said:

The reason I ask is that my transit next winter is on Cunard, but as it's part of the QV's World Voyage, I expect the dress code to be rather strictly observed. 

It will be, if you check your personalizer nearer the time each days dress code will be listed. very envious of you Enjoy xx

On 6/9/2023 at 1:21 AM, PandaBear62 said:

I use mine a lot, but as a shawl I just throw it over my shoulder. In terms of nicer ones, that you’d wear with a nice outfit, that’s wear I’m lost. The Hello Mello is great, but it’s definitely utilitarian…I wouldn’t wear it with a nice outfit to dress it up. So in my mind two different types of shawls!

My Hello Mello came today, and I couldn't believe how small the included pocket was!

I am 5'6" but I have a VERY long torso and shortie legs. This wrap could be longer and/or wider for me, but I measured it and it is the same size as the Coolibar beach wraps (they are SPF 50).

I might have thought about getting the Sanibel beach wrap in Radiant Coral -- IF it were any larger, but as it's not, and I spend little to no time on the beach, I will see how much I use this Hello Mello.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

On 4/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

Looking forward to hearing how it works! I'm doing my first warm-weather cruise next winter (Jan 2024 FLL-SFO through the Panama Canal) and have a lot of thinking to do about packing. 

I'm doing that one in 2025! It's my first vacation of any sort that is longer than 7-9 days so I am trying to figure out how much to bring knowing that no matter what, I will have to do laundry. Also, there are a LOT of sea days. I'm not sure what that means in terms of packing but it seems like more activities means more clothes. 

• Like 2