Eating in Main Dining Room with an Aqua cabin

Sunset329

3 minutes ago, Sunset329 said:

Can we eat in the main dining room if we have an Aqua cabin? Is there any charge if we elect to eat in the main dining room instead of the Blu Restaurant?

Nope, no extra charge...MDR is for everyone...

• Like 1

There’s no charge, but since you do not have an assigned table in the main dining room, you should coordinate with the blu staff who can find out for you when the MDR can fit you in.

Don’t just show up at the main dining room because once they see your Aqua card they will likely send you to blu.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, boxkite said:

Most of the M and S class ships will let you order from the MDR menu while eating in Blu. We have done this many times while on three different S class ships eating in Blu.

We have never had a problem in ordering from the MDR menu when in Blu on M class ships.  Our experience has been inconsistent on S class.  Some MaitreDs will allow it others do not.  When ships were sailing with low capacity and plenty of staff more likely to be willing to send a waiter to the MDR to get a meal.    Recent sailing we have been on capacity has been high and staffing is short and ordering from the MDR menu wasn’t a option.

However shrimp cocktail, escargot, Caesar salad, French onion soup, chicken and salmon have always been available Blu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset329 said:

Can we eat in the main dining room if we have an Aqua cabin? Is there any charge if we elect to eat in the main dining room instead of the Blu Restaurant?

Are you asking to be moved to the MDR instead of Blu every night? Even if just occasionally, ask the Blu MaitreD to arrange it for you.  There will be no charge

• Like 1

I had similar questions/concerns prior to my first trip with Celebrity - wasn’t sure I would like the menu items in Blu, wanted the flexibility of MDR items, etc.  so I too was strongly considering MDR a few evenings.    

But then I boarded and had my first experience in Blu the first night.    

What an amazing experience.  Phenomenal staff - phenomenal.   We were on the Reflection.   From Andrea at the host station, to Michael our waiter, and sommelier Rafaela - mdw and I were just so blown away on the level of service and experience we had.   Then the food - absolutely amazing!   Our waiter Michael was so so so helpful answering our questions and providing recommendations as he could sense our hesitation on trying an appetizer or main menu item, etc.    I think there was only one evening where mdw wasn’t feeling it on the main entree and it was not an issue whatsoever ordering a mdr item.   

We we were at Blu every evening and also pretty much every morning for breakfast (only reason we skipped one day was due to early excursion time on a port day).  

Based on our experience just a Blu, mdw and I are SOLD on AquaClass for our future cruises with Celebrity.   

Just my $0.02 - go to Blu every opportunity you can - they will absolutely do everything they can to provide you an amazing experience.   You won’t regret it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A simple question and a lot of speculation as to what the OP actually means or doesn't mean.

I'll do the same myself.  If you are concerned about eating in Blu because you think it is too "healthy" or too fancy or whatever, let your fears be put to rest.  It is neither of those things.  The way they have described it on the website and advertising leads one to believe it is like eating healthy food at an expensive spa.  It is not, unless for example you consider a wonderful short ribs dinner healthy.  Unlike Luminae, it is more like what most people might consider "normal" everyday food, cooked very well with excellent service and a more intimate dining room.  

If in Aqua, the primary reason (for us) to choose MDR, would be to join Non-Aqua friends for a dinner or two. Never had a problem doing this. The reverse is true. Aqua friends have joined us in the MDR when we were in a regular balcony.

14 hours ago, Sunset329 said:

You might not want to. We ate in Luminae every night. The food and service were spectacular and the MDR would have (probably) not hit those standards. I think you'll find the same in Blu.  You can always order off the MDR menu if you want to try that food.  

I have heard that Retreat Guest on M and S class can order items from the MDR and Blu menu.  We have ordered off the MDR menu on numerous occasions and on our upcoming cruise I am going to see if the is possible to order off the Blu menu as well.  There are some dishes we remember from when we last sailed in Aqua class that I definitely would like to have again, especially in light of the static nature of the Luminae menu.  (the baby spinach salad and pan seared filet come immediately to mind).  

15 hours ago, Sunset329 said:

well when I was on the Equinox last Nov, I remember going to toe MDR on day 4 and the lady at the podium looked at me and asked why I was not at Blu.  I told her I wanted a change of scenery and she looked at me like I was a bit nuts.  I do know they expect most Aqua to go to Blu but you can go to MDR.  I actually also went to buffet a lot as well.

1 hour ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

You might not want to. We ate in Luminae every night. The food and service were spectacular and the MDR would have (probably) not hit those standards. I think you'll find the same in Blu.  You can always order off the MDR menu if you want to try that food.  

No, not always.  This may be possible on an M or S class ship, not not on an E class ship

2 hours ago, arealcheapskate said:

I'm reading a lot of retreat people also eating in Blu / having no issues eating in Blu. Is this common as well? 

Suite guests don't automatically get access to Blu. It's on a space-available basis. 

When Blu was introduced you could not order from the MDR menu. Over time things have changed. When Celebrity had prime rib on the 1st night in the MDR. We would inform the maitre d at Blu that we would be dining in the MDR to get PR.

4 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

When Blu was introduced you could not order from the MDR menu. Over time things have changed. When Celebrity had prime rib on the 1st night in the MDR. We would inform the maitre d at Blu that we would be dining in the MDR to get PR.

yes I have heard of this but when I ate in blu I just ate what they had.  I did not want to bother the waitstaff until I found out on last day that the MDR kitchen was right next door and a quick walk.

Darn.   now I know.  Then again I most likely won't pay for Aqua class again either.  

• Like 1

I was in Aqua on my last month's Constellation cruise. When we were seated every night in BLU for dinner the hostess automatically handed us a MDR menu along with the BLU menu without even asking for it. No problem ordering from either menu. I have to admit, I only ordered once from the MDR menu.