Has anyone stayed in PS 1 Cabin 8004? Good or not so good??

moatenote

I like the idea of being on the top deck so I don't hear people walking above me when I'm trying to sleep (a very light sleeper).  But I wonder if it's too close to the Explorers Lounge and be noisy from there.  So many decisions!  We're going on the Viking Homelands cruise in July 2024 and I can't wait!!!!

FWIW ... although we loved the two times we were on the "top" deck in 8000 (thanks Viking for the upgrades!) it really isn't the "top" deck.  The "sports deck" is above you and last trip we were right below the bowling area and heard the type of noise you might expect.  There were some active groups onboard and there were several sea days.  That said, it was mostly during the daytime and didn't really bother us ... once we figured out what it was!

We've stayed in 8000, 8001 and on our most recent trip last month, we were switched to 8010 due to a maintenance issue.  No issues with 8000 and 8001, but I wouldn't stay in 8010 again.  Like molymoo said, there was noise during the day from the sports deck.  I think we must have been under where they dropped the ball.  

Edited by millybess

We loved being in 8006 on our first Viking cruise. It's just steps away from the secret entrance to the Explorer's Lounge where we spent happy hour every evening. There was no issue with noise at all.

12 hours ago, moatenote said:

I like the idea of being on the top deck so I don't hear people walking above me when I'm trying to sleep (a very light sleeper).  But I wonder if it's too close to the Explorers Lounge and be noisy from there.  So many decisions!  We're going on the Viking Homelands cruise in July 2024 and I can't wait!!!!

All the Deck 8 cabins have the potential for walkers above, as Deck 8 & 9 is used as an alternative to completing laps on Deck 2.

8 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

It's a door at the end of the corridor that gives access to the upper floor of the Explorers Lounge. Only those who have cabins on Deck 8 use the corridor, hence it being known as the secret entrance!

We’ve been in 8003 without noise issues, but prefer 7000’s deck to avoid walking up and down the stairs in Explorers Lounge with drinks in hand.

We also like the more active socializing on deck 7 of the lounge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2023 at 6:12 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

We’ve been in 8003 without noise issues, but prefer 7000’s deck to avoid walking up and down the stairs in Explorers Lounge with drinks in hand.

We also like the more active socializing on deck 7 of the lounge.

Yes, definitely prefer deck 7 but deck 7 was sold out when we booked our next Ocean cruise.  It was suggested we try an Explorer suite but opted to try deck 8 instead as we really like the PS cabins.  My only concern about deck 8 was the location of the smoking area --  the Viking rep said it is not close to the cabin area and smoke should not flow in the cabin direction...

22 minutes ago, 2cruisecats said:

Yes, definitely prefer deck 7 but deck 7 was sold out when we booked our next Ocean cruise.  It was suggested we try an Explorer suite but opted to try deck 8 instead as we really like the PS cabins.  My only concern about deck 8 was the location of the smoking area --  the Viking rep said it is not close to the cabin area and smoke should not flow in the cabin direction...

We have never had a problem smelling smoke on deck 8, not even on our balcony. 

2 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

The pollution zone is Stbd side Dk 8 aft of the main pool and just fwd of the funnel. For the smoke to affect the dk 8 cabins, on a ship at sea, you need to consider the relative wind. For smoke to move towards the cabins, the wind would need to be from right astern and higher than the ship's speed.

Even if you experienced those conditions, the low volume of smoke would be dissipated before reaching the cabins.

Is it possible - yes, but is it a very low probability.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Am sitting with my feet up in Jupiter 8004 at this moment on an at sea day, the last of our Viking Fjords and Shores cruise. There’s been not a hint of smoke, noise from the Explorer Lounge or from people walking round the deck above. But we are at present getting  the odd thump from above with people using ( I think) the bocce court. It’s not a big problem, although in a more pleasant climate than that provided by the North Sea it may be more common and more of an annoyance.

We love the space in the PJS and deck 8  but would probably book one a bit further back next time. Oh, and being at the top of the ship we undoubtedly had more movement on the one roughish night of the cruise!

• Like 1

Our last cruise we were in that cabin. It was very nice with no noise issues, but I found that I prefer deck 4. My reason was because we usually prefer doing stairs, but having to walk up to deck 8 was unpleasant after touring all day, so we ended up constantly doing the elevator. So if you like using the elevator it’s a great cabin!

Only in DV1 but on deck 8 and just about to leave Mars. Smoke never an issue. We were starboard and did get a bit annoyed with the banging from the shuffleboard above us but only between about 2-4pm. It’s a great location. Viking ships are so small anyway that everywhere is close by. 

Edited by Pushka

On 5/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, Iloveketo said:

Our last cruise we were in that cabin. It was very nice with no noise issues, but I found that I prefer deck 4. My reason was because we usually prefer doing stairs, but having to walk up to deck 8 was unpleasant after touring all day, so we ended up constantly doing the elevator. So if you like using the elevator it’s a great cabin!

Walk as mant stairs as you like and then take the elevator the rest of the way? Just a thought.