Captain's Club One Category Upgrade Question

BeachTunes

Hello! 

First of all, thanks to everyone for answering all of my questions here! I promise that our March 25th Millennium trip report is coming soon! 🙂

We're now considering an Alaska cruise on Millie. I currently have a Concierge (C1) stateroom on a courtesy hold. We love Aqua Class/Blu but given how much we plan to spend on excursions, pre-cruise, flights, etc, current pricing isn't quite a match at the moment.

That said, I'm confused about the Captain's Club One Category Upgrade... Does it mean that we could upgrade to an Aqua (A2) stateroom for the current C1 pricing? I'm thinking that is not the case and that it's a category upgrade within the actual category (Inside, Outside, Balcony, Concierge, etc.) If indeed we could get an A2 for C1 pricing, I'd be booking immediately! LOL! (I do use a travel agent but thought I'd get some opinions here first.)

Just wishful thinking here before I make the final decision! 😊 Thank you!

1 minute ago, BeachTunes said:

Does it mean that we could upgrade to an Aqua (A2) stateroom for the current C1 pricing?

Hey there.  You can't get an A2 for the price of C1.  I believe C2 to C1 is valid, so make sure you get the C2 price if you stick with the C1 choice.  There is a chart that details the one-category upgrade program, but I am not sure if it is on Celebrity's website or if it was posted on here.  Somebody on here should come up with it for you.  Not usually a huge price difference, but something you as a Captain's Club member are entitled to, nonetheless.  So excited for you and your plans to visit your 50th state.

• Like 2

No, you can only go within a category, C2 at C3 price.  Unless it has changed recently C1 were excluded from the 1 category upgrade as were Suites, SV and possibly some others.  

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jelayne said:

No, you can only go within a category, C2 at C3 price.  Unless it has changed recently C1 were excluded from the 1 category upgrade as were Suites, SV and possibly some others.  

With the new categorizations going into affect his month (new deck plans) C2 to C1 is now a valid 1 category upgrade.   They took all the nice rooms that used to be C1 and changed the categories to uber super deluxe superior ultimate veranda so they could charge more for them.

Clearer version of the chart

CCOneCatUpgrade.jpg.dffd14d722e845d182138c42f7ff5adc.jpg

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

Whomever you are booking your future cruise with, a TA or a CVP, make sure they “check the box” so you get the category “discount” applied to your booking. Our new TA didn’t know this and we OTOH thought it was automatic as we previously would book all of our Celebrity cruises using a CVP. And by the time we figured out the oversight the category prices had already gone up significantly and we lost out on a $250 pp discount. 

• Like 1

Also note that this discount only works with FIT(Flexible Individual Travel) pricing that is found on Celebrity's website.

If a TA booked you into a great group rate for say a C2 Concierge Class veranda, you can not use this perk to move up to the C1 category group rate for free.

• Like 1

Wow, thank you all so much for the helpful input! I figured getting Aqua Class for Concierge pricing would be a long shot but it's great to know that we can score a C1 for C2 pricing. (Or a V1 for the price of a V2.) That will help with flights and excursions! 🙌

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Also note that this discount only works with FIT(Flexible Individual Travel) pricing that is found on Celebrity's website.

If a TA booked you into a great group rate for say a C2 Concierge Class veranda, you can not use this perk to move up to the C1 category group rate for free.

I have had it happen multiple times with my TA, able to move up 1 category under group rates, A2 to A! C3-C2 or whatever the 1 category upgrade is for Concierge now with the new categories.  I just did it for my Nov cruise on the Silhouette.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I have had it happen multiple times with my TA, able to move up 1 category under group rates, A2 to A! C3-C2 or whatever the 1 category upgrade is for Concierge now with the new categories.  I just did it for my Nov cruise on the Silhouette.  

This depends on the negotiated group rates for the class of cabin. Sometimes I can negotiate C1 as the same price as C2, sometime not if the inventory is not conducive. Heck I seen times where C1 are cheaper than C2, A1s cheaper than A2s. Just pointing out that the CC perk has no bearing on the group rates and there are no buttons to "push"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes me as well.  If my TA has a group rate for V2 I get a V1 cabin.

Same here. Just double checked with my trusted TA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here. Just double checked with my trusted TA.

A TA can negotiate a group rate where a V2 and V1 pricing is the same, or the C2 is the same as a C1, etc, etc etc.. But it is purely dependent on a couple of factors. The relationship the agency has with the cruise line, and the current inventory available when the group is made are the 2 main factors. 

This price equivalency is 100% based upon the group rate negotiated on creation of the group contract, and has zero relationship with the CC club perk.

Also, depending upon the spread of cost for the cabin and the commission earned by the TA, they can make up the difference by forgoing some commission, but this is only done if the spread is not huge. TAs do this often for their most loyal clients as well as offer OBC to them, which they give by forgoing some commission from the cruise line as well.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my case the TA generally has group rates on the middle sub category.  If he only has group space in V2 I can still book a V1 cabin at his V2 group rate.

Don't know or care about the details.  That's why I use my TA.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I can confirm this is true. Tried to do this on our upcoming SE Asia cruise, but no dice. Have successfully had the upgrade from C3  - C2 numerous times.

1 hour ago, Tipsy252 said:

I can confirm this is true. Tried to do this on our upcoming SE Asia cruise, but no dice. Have successfully had the upgrade from C3  - C2 numerous times.

If you were denied C2 -> C1 upgrade on a sailing after summer 2023 or later deployment you were cheated.   The chart clearly shows it is valid on all ship types.