Live(ish) Epic Transatlantic April 22-May 7

Clay Clayton

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Clay Clayton was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are packed and ready to go! Unfortunately, there is exactly one week left before we go. I suspect it will go by really slowly. 

If you’d like to follow along, feel free!  I’m hoping others on board will also post.  

While we used to be very loyal to Norwegian Cruise Line, we more recently have given most of our travel dollars to Viking.  Our last NCL cruise was in 2018 aboard Breakaway in the Baltics. So it will be interesting to be back aboard an NCL ship and especially one as unique as Epic. This will be our first time aboard her as I am six foot seven tall and didn’t want to deal with the short beds….but good friends are making their first Transatlantic (this will be our fourth and a half-damn you covid) and we wanted to enjoy it with them. So hopefully I won’t find myself sleeping on the floor. 🤞

We have 300 wifi minutes so will likely only post when we are in port-hence the “ish”😂. That’s what I did last fall when we did b2b aboard HAL to Alaska and Hawaii and it seemed to be much easier than trying to upload over the ship’s network. 

If anyone has anything in particular they would like to know during the cruise, feel free to ask away!  

IMG_5226.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

• Like 8

Looking forward to your "live(ish)"trip report!

Seeing it is a TA  how many ports will you be able to  find free wifi"?

How big is the ship you will be on? 

Your friend from Viking! 

Cheers,

Patti

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Azulann said:

Looking forward to your "live(ish)"trip report!

Seeing it is a TA  how many ports will you be able to  find free wifi"?

How big is the ship you will be on? 

Your friend from Viking! 

Cheers,

Patti

Epic will be the largest ship we have been on. It’s capacity at full double occupancy is 4100😳

We have lots of ports (relatively speaking): Bermuda, Ponta del Gata, Funchal, Cadiz, Motril, Palma de Majorca, and Ibiza so hopefully I’ll be able to meet the “ish” part of live🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like your ports of call. Always wanted to go to Palma de Majorca and Ibiza. 

Have fun in Bermuda.  We did the Viking Bermuda cruise during COVID. Love the island  and it history. 

Funchal is wonderful. I could do a resort vacation there someday if I did n't live so far away.

4100 passenger capacity is huge.  Hope you post some pic of the ship. 

Enjoy your pre cruise week.

• Like 2

So very excited to read this and will be following along eagerly.

We will be doing the transatlantic on the Epic next year and cannot wait to hear details of your experience.

Thank you so much for getting us excited for our first transatlantic!!! 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We have 300 wifi minutes so will likely only post when we are in port-hence the “ish”😂. That’s what I did last fall when we did b2b aboard HAL to Alaska and Hawaii and it seemed to be much easier than trying to upload over the ship’s network. 

I was on the Epic at the end of March and I found the network to be fast for live CC posting in the early morning (6AM) and in the evening (11pm+).  You can get almost 2 Mb Up with no packet loss.  Mid-day is terrible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spenecer said:

I was on the Epic at the end of March and I found the network to be fast for live CC posting in the early morning (6AM) and in the evening (11pm+).  You can get almost 2 Mb Up with no packet loss.  Mid-day is terrible.

Unhuh…6am😳. Unlikely I’ll be up to post at that hour😂 but thanks for the info!

• Haha 6

Will be following as I enjoy your take on different cruises and lines.  I really hope you enjoy your TA on the Epic.  Friends here sailed her in January out of San Juan.  They hated it.  Never again they said.  Comments:  packed with people, loud, people in your face all the time, had to shout to order in a restaurant with wait staff needing to yell also, corridors crowded going both ways, elevators packed, only good restaurant was specialty French, lots of over the top drunk people.  But then they were on a Caribbean cruise which tends to be a party boat anyways.  

• Like 1

Pre-pandemic all the TAs we have been on (Epic twice) were in off-season and had many days, and were never 100% full as a very few kids could go and the passengers consisted of people who are retired, have adult kids, childless and could take more than a couple weeks off work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are packed and ready to go! Unfortunately, there is exactly one week left before we go. I suspect it will go by really slowly. 

If you’d like to follow along, feel free!  I’m hoping others on board will also post.  

While we used to be very loyal to Norwegian Cruise Line, we more recently have given most of our travel dollars to Viking.  Our last NCL cruise was in 2018 aboard Breakaway in the Baltics. So it will be interesting to be back aboard an NCL ship and especially one as unique as Epic. This will be our first time aboard her as I am six foot seven tall and didn’t want to deal with the short beds….but good friends are making their first Transatlantic (this will be our fourth and a half-damn you covid) and we wanted to enjoy it with them. So hopefully I won’t find myself sleeping on the floor. 🤞

If anyone has anything in particular they would like to know during the cruise, feel free to ask away!  

IMG_5226.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

I am truly jealous if you can get away with that for 15 days 😉

• Like 1

Clay - for the time being, I'm just going to add & contribute here to your Live'ish Epic report for Saturday.  Not sure if I'm up to doing things "live" onboard but we are probably going to trade-up our 300 minutes to unlimited, depending on satellite speed as I see them using our hardware ... @spenecer speed results sound good enough, similar results onboard the Getaway this January with Samsung but with Google Pixel 7 Pro and iPhone SE, speed was even better when overall net traffic wasn't heavy.  

I did a bit of comparative price shopping for ground transfer option - getting from LGA and JFK to MCT - Pier 88, typical and based on weekend mornings, around 10 to 11 am'ish.  This could be helpful & informative for others not on the big roll call to know but planning to embark with us.  

Carmel car services (unless pre-booked with pickup time, needs 20 - 30 minutes due to availabilities)

LGA to Pier 88

$52, $55, $60 and $72 for mini-van, SUV at $89

Uber - LGA to Pier 88

$59 and $76 for UberX

Lyft - LGA to Pier 88

$56, $58 or $62 depending wait time to get picked up, and $72 for XL

Uber - JFK to Pier 88

$85 and $110 for UberX

Lyft - JFK to Pier 88

$79 or $83, and $96 for Lyft XL

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station via MetroCard for the fare, plus $2.75 (which is OMNY contactless payment friendly, ApplePay or Google Wallet compatible for tap-n-go) via the "E" subway is the frugal way to within walking distance of the ship terminal.  Packing light, very much doable on the subway car on weekends as it's off-peak & not crowded.  

Extended weather forecast for this Saturday: overcast, mid/upper 50's to low 60's - 60% chance of occassional rain shower, somewhat windy.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_5226.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

Hi, I would love to know the lowest hand weights/barbells in the fitness center. JOY had the best - an A frame with all the lowest weights, most NCL ships start at 5 some start at 10!!!! Joy had 1-10 and of course the heavier ones.  GEM did find some lower ones (hidden in the special room)- but usually 5 then 7 1/2 . I am tryng MSC Bklyn to Bklyn on Sat.- bringing my own weights  since their lowest is 4KG which is over 8 pounds. I must do the excersizes.

Yes the week goes fast, but MUST bring clothes. I will be on the EPIC for Mediteranium to Israel in Nov. and cannot bring my own weights.

Thank you for asking.

Have a fantastic trip. I hear that while the ship is weird everyone seems to like it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Pre-pandemic all the TAs we have been on (Epic twice) were in off-season and had many days, and were never 100% full as a very few kids could go and the passengers consisted of people who are retired, have adult kids, childless and could take more than a couple weeks off work.

Unfortunately it appears our ship is very full. Only a few insides showing for sale and very few have had their upgrade Buda accepted.  

2 minutes ago, like2cruise33 said:

Hi, I would love to know the lowest hand weights/barbells in the fitness center. JOY had the best - an A frame with all the lowest weights, most NCL ships start at 5 some start at 10!!!! Joy had 1-10 and of course the heavier ones.  GEM did find some lower ones (hidden in the special room)- but usually 5 then 7 1/2 . I am tryng MSC Bklyn to Bklyn on Sat.- bringing my own weights  since their lowest is 4KG which is over 8 pounds. I must do the excersizes.

Yes the week goes fast, but MUST bring clothes. I will be on the EPIC for Mediteranium to Israel in Nov. and cannot bring my own weights.

Thank you for asking.

Have a fantastic trip. I hear that while the ship is weird everyone seems to like it

I’ll try to remember but if you don’t see something posted about the weights by April 25th how about reminding me?  

have you looked at the weights you fill with water? https://a.co/d/5Bjhbjb

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Unfortunately it appears our ship is very full. Only a few insides showing for sale and very few have had their upgrade Buda accepted.  

I, and most people loved the 'empty' ships. great deals, and no lines. Now prices are going up,up and up, and ships are getting full and fuller. But then again, it was sad for the cruise companies, and all the precourtions they had to do regarding the virues.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:58 PM, Oakman58 said:

You can pull the bed out from under the headboard so that you have a few more inches in length.  Even so I'm sure your feet will overhang.  

I was going to say the same thing! This really helped my husband be more comfortable. My other tip for Epic is, if the buffet is too crowded at breakfast and lunch, you can take your food down stairs to eat in   the La Cucina restaurant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1