Live(ish) Epic Transatlantic April 22-May 7

Clay Clayton

On 4/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, Clay Clayton said:

We will use the return leg in late July when we return to Reykjavik to board Viking Saturn for Mike’s 60th birthday cruise. We will be going from there to Bergen via Longyearbyen the northernmost permanent village in the world (polar bears outnumber residents!). 

So that’s some (😂too much) background on us. If anyone wants advice on slow nomadic travel or on any places we have been, we are happy to share our experiences and advice. That’s Mike in the toucan shirt and me in the blue enjoying a MaiTai in Hawaii last October. 

IMG_3738.jpeg

Sounds like you are getting on Saturn when we are getting off

What a pleasant surprise seeing you here! Have seen many of your posts on the Viking boards. 

Iceland is wonderful.

Have a fabulous crossing. Love the transatlantic crossings. And especially the one transpacific we have done! 

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So house has been cleaned, toilet case is packed, passport and wallet checked and rechecked…what do we do for the next 12 hours? 😂

OMG I read that too quickly and thought it said "toilet is packed".  I mean I've heard of some people packing some interesting things for cruises but...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ellenw said:

What a pleasant surprise seeing you here! Have seen many of your posts on the Viking boards. 

Iceland is wonderful.

Have a fabulous crossing. Love the transatlantic crossings. And especially the one transpacific we have done! 

Yes it is, we are excited to get back and see the south side which we missed during the Viking Welcome Back cruise in 2021. Love transoceanic cruises also, in fact probably preferred the pacific one-maybe because it was longer?🤔

After a three minute scare when the AA app and the gate agent announced that our flight was delayed until 8am, we are now aboard.  Not sure what caused the error, but glad they fixed it.  So while it appears we won’t have an ontime departure at 6:03 (it’s 6am now) unless something changes we will be leaving close to ontime which I can deal with. 🤞 And I got the legroom seat, so at least my legs will be flying first class!

IMG_5313.jpeg

IMG_5312.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the Big Apple.  Plenty of time to enjoy a light breakfast before you catch the next JFK AirTrain to connect to the subway to Pier 88 in Manhattan.  

See you and the rest onboard soon, no hurry as looks like they barely started early disembarkation for the "express" Epic self walk-off.

Henry / mking8288 

So apparently we aren’t leaving on timear 7:30. It’s 7:41 as I type and we are still at the pier.  We had supper at O’sheenans-tasty fish and chips.  

Now on our Balcony on the port side with G,D,& S for sailaway. We are on starboard so will have a good view of Manhattan. The plan is to move to G&D’s on starboard when we get closer to Lady Libby.  

If we don’t soon get underway, I may not make it.  Fading fast! 3:50 am seems like forever ago. 

Last post for a while-hopefully will post in Bermuda on Monday. 

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

IMG_5333.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

So finally at 8:21 we started pulling away from the pier.  No word on what caused the delay. 

IMG_5337.jpeg

There were dozens and dozens of pallets of  provisions still on the pier at 1830.  I think the ship got in late.