Needs some help…. Flight was just canceled to get to MIA

Ricks

9 hours ago, Minimama said:

Well, I guess you are one of the lucky ones. There is a reason for the threads complaining about NCL air. I don't see any threads raving about them!

Here's a thread that shows there are many pleased NCL BOGO Airfare guests, myself included:

NCL Air worked swimmingly (flyingly?) for me. When there was a delay, I worked directly with Delta. Not NCL. I had no issues whatsoever and it wasn't NCL's fault the flight was delayed. 

Count me as a happy NCL BOGO Air customer. We do exist! 

Let's start the counseling session. How did NCL Air hurt you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, jsn55 said:

When it comes to air, no matter how screwed up things get, you're MUCH better off having booked your own flights.  Cruiselines generally book fares at a discount, so the airlines aren't very enthusiastic about helping a pax with a cancelled flight.  They're hard enough to get along with as it is these days, but a third-party booking just allows them to not do anything at all.

The only time we booked through the cruise line, our return flight connected through ATL and they had an ice storm so we got delayed in ATL for 3 days. Delta was in no hurry to get us out, and I truly believe it was because we were a third-party booking, cheapest fare, bottom of the barrel. We had to pay for our own hotel because it was a weather delay and therefore they weren't responsible. I understand that it wasn't the airlines fault, but I think if I would have paid a higher fare they would have been more receptive to get us out in a more timely manner. They wouldn't even give us our checked bags. Unfortunately we didn't have insurance at the time, so we were out of pocket for everything. 

• Like 2

The thing that chafes me about NCL air, and the airlines in general, there is no accountability.  

Airlines, for all their belly aching about fuel prices, regs, etc, are hard to have any sympathy.  They cancel flights for made up reasons (to skirt fines).  They either don’t train their personnel well enough and certainly refuse to hire enough (how many times have we all heard they can’t find a jet bridge operator while stuck on the tarmac?).

Personally, I think deregulation for the airlines was a mistake.  We miss their flight?  Too bad, so sad.  The airlines make us late or cancel because they don’t have a full flight, or they don’t have enough crew?  We get bupkis.

As far as NCL is concerned, they’re just the booking agent.  Personally, I want to book my own flights at the dates and times I prefer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Personally, I think deregulation for the airlines was a mistake.  We miss their flight?  Too bad, so sad.  The airlines make us late or cancel because they don’t have a full flight, or they don’t have enough crew?  We get bupkis.

Be careful what you wish for.

Fares have been reduced about 40% since deregulation.

Prior to deregulation it was uncommon to see families on airlines.

Prior to deregulation, service was much better and most planes were not nearly as crowded.

(You could also smoke on board)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quillwercruisers said:

The only time we booked through the cruise line, our return flight connected through ATL and they had an ice storm so we got delayed in ATL for 3 days. Delta was in no hurry to get us out, and I truly believe it was because we were a third-party booking, cheapest fare, bottom of the barrel. We had to pay for our own hotel because it was a weather delay and therefore they weren't responsible. I understand that it wasn't the airlines fault, but I think if I would have paid a higher fare they would have been more receptive to get us out in a more timely manner. They wouldn't even give us our checked bags. Unfortunately we didn't have insurance at the time, so we were out of pocket for everything. 

What a nightmare; we all have 'terrible travel' stories, but yours is one of the worst I've ever read.  And, unfortunately, it is a perfect example of what I've always believed about the airlines.  

41 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Fares have been reduced about 40% since deregulation.

Prior to deregulation it was uncommon to see families on airlines.

Prior to deregulation, service was much better and most planes were not nearly as crowded.

(You could also smoke on board)

Smoking on board went away (thankfully), although I've been flying long enough to remember when there was a "smoking section" at the back of the plane.  

I don't know about fares.  I've flown 2M miles, so far.  I think fares did drop initially after deregulation.  Then, the airlines started with them creeping back up.....fuel surcharges, making the planes more uncomfortable and squishing in more passengers.  Charging for checked baggage.  The list goes on and on.  This has been accompanied by a general and significant non-accountability because the airlines haven't had been pushed when they williy-nilly cancel or delay flights when it's avoidable and totally the fault of the airlines.

FAA doesn't seem to care, either.

It's unfortunate, but eventually there will be a crash with a large amount of deaths that will be attributable to overcrowding on a flight.  By then, it's too late to "reform" the airlines.

Even now, I've boarded planes (mostly American, Spirit and Frontier) that I've seen liberal use of zip ties holding parts of the plane and the seats together.  I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

Count me as a person who thinks the airline industry crossed a line a long time ago regarding safety and service (and not in a good way).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

My NCL-booked flight home from Capetown to Newark was cancelled.  As far as I could tell, there were at least 30 people from the cruise that were affected, some booked through NCL, some on their own.  United's solution was to rebook many of us on a flight leaving 6 days later and put us up in a hotel.  Didn't matter how the tickets were booked. A 6 day paid vacation in Capetown (meals provided by the hotel) was enticing but I was ready to go home so I did get on the phone and found a flight home the following day, same airline, no additional cost. The biggest issue was that the phone rep wasn't very creative as to finding another flight home but that's another story.  And I got a $200 voucher for my troubles.

Similar problem flying out of Copenhagen, flight to Reykjavik was delayed so everyone missed their connections.  Airline rebooked me on the same flight, next day.  When we did get to Reykjavik, we were bussed to a hotel, back to the airport the next day.  Again, all the passengers were treated the same.  And on this one I did call NCL and they were perfectly willing to book me on the next flight but suggested that I wait to see what the airline would do.

Latest trip had a flight delay so I knew I'd miss my final connection in Seattle.  No problem, airline rebooked me on a later flight.

Just my recent experiences with resolving flight issues that are out of NCL's control.  

7 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

About them not giving you your checked bags, I think that is normal, I assume for security reasons. I had a similar issue and was stuck in Dallas for 3 days. I paid full fare personally. My bags actually made it home before I did because they went on a flight that was full (as far as passengers). I had to fly into an airport 2 hours away and collect my bags at my originating airport on my way home.

Now I put much more in my carry on! I stayed in my hotel room in Dallas because all I had was the clothes I was wearing, my PJs from the last night of the cruise and a small amount of make-up/toothbrush.

Years ago, my family was flying to San Diego, our first flights were cancelled in MHT, we were sent the next day to Boston where we were delayed again and almost got stuck in ATL. My brother in law who is an elite Delta member helped us  with rearranging flights. He told us that the elite members get first dibs on rebooking, then all the direct Delta customers and finally third party bookings like Expedia etc. I noticed that there were a large amount of folks  that were unable to get on the California flight and had heard many of them were third party bookings.  After that experience I always book my own flights and never go through third party.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 1:28 PM, bluesea777 said:

He'll need to book & purchase the return flight also, because when he is a no-show to the original outbound flight (even though it's been cancelled and rebooked) his return flight is auto-cancelled.

Hope your son still makes it to the ship!

not true. We dealt with this on American Airlines a couple years ago. They cancelled our flight and had no alternatives until the next day. We managed to get on the last seat of a delta flight leaving that day. Had no issues taking our American Airlines return flight. 

obviously if they cancelled you, it’s not the same as a ‘no show’; you can choose to not rebook with them.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:40 PM, Ricks said:

Just an update….. flew out of Providence RI on Southwest 12:30 landed at 3:30 in Fort lunderdale, took a Uber to cruise port…… they closed the door behind him………

Ship leaving time was 5:30, he was so upset that he told me 4pm

he was by himself, his wife flew in from a business trip in Texas to Miami…. Other family members on other flights left Boston no problem. He went to check in and they said his flight was canceled…. They had nothing to get him there by 5:30, they sent him over to delta… but they told him they have nothing. 

Just a FYI…. Flying with NCL arranged packages……. You are on your own….. if your flights cancels.

They do nothing to help the situation, and will not hold the ship at all. 

It was a united airline flight that was canceled ….. in Boston…..

He allowed NCL to take care of everything because he thought he was in good hands….. not the case….. now he will have to fight for getting his refund back from NCL for the airfare part of his cruise. He had to pay his own flight expense to get there….. all in all he will sleeping on the ship tonight

when I talked to him on board the ship….. he was having his 1st double for the sail away.

When he get home, I will remind him, always fly out the day before!!!

we have been on many cruises, we always leave one or two days before…

Double?  At that point it’d be a triple!

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

Years ago, my family was flying to San Diego, our first flights were cancelled in MHT, we were sent the next day to Boston where we were delayed again and almost got stuck in ATL. My brother in law who is an elite Delta member helped us  with rearranging flights. He told us that the elite members get first dibs on rebooking, then all the direct Delta customers and finally third party bookings like Expedia etc. I noticed that there were a large amount of folks  that were unable to get on the California flight and had heard many of them were third party bookings.  After that experience I always book my own flights and never go through third party.

Agreed - however - although some people disagree - I was told this week by an Air Canada employee - the nonrefundable and highest paid fares are taken care of first. Everyone else - well - may the odds be ever in your favour.

The devil is in the details.

Why was the flight cancelled?  Weather is the most common and the airline is abit off the hook because they do not control the weather and can't fly per the TSA.  So yep you probably will get a big delay.  But normally covered by insurance.  Mechanical failure, lack of crew, or other things under the airline's control; the airline has the obligation to get you there and may have more options available which might not have a big delay ( but it always can).  Typically this reason is not covered by travel insurance except CFA when following the exact procedure for cancelling the cruise.

What airline?  The bigger airlines have more options that they will use.  The smaller ones do not tend to do anything but rebook you on their planes at a later time.  Also the compensation for the delay may vary.

So the best mitigation is to travel early.  Also knowing the options for other flights and having the resources to get on another flight or even drive.  Insurance for weather delays.

Sounds like "son" in this event did everything right.  Glad he made it.  He probably will have to deal with the airline for his refund if they cancelled the flight vs. TSA grounding the plan due to weather.  Good luck.

As an aside, I am in the group that says once you are ticketed and are within a few days of travel should deal directly with the airline.  Matter of fact often you have too because the cruise air group many not be taking calls for hours like in major weather delay.

On 4/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, quillwercruisers said:

Delta was in no hurry to get us out, and I truly believe it was because we were a third-party booking, cheapest fare, bottom of the barrel.

That's just Delta. We paid for our flights and they left us in Detroit.  Our plane was delayed from Miami and they let our connecting flight leave 15 minutes EARLY! We got to the gate and the agent said he seen our flight land but went ahead and let the plane leave. They did get us on a flight the next day but we had to find & pay for our hotel (7pm on a Friday night) and didn't get our checked bags. I will avoid Delta at all costs now. 

Edited by vacationut

Further reflection...

If you book through a third party, they may not care to go after your refund from the airfare.  You will may need to do that.  But the refund goes to the payer of the ticket i.e. the third party so then you have to get the third party to pass on the refund.

So unless the savings are significant it may indeed be worth booking directly.  But NCL second passenger flies free is significant in our case so worth the risk.  Also open jaw air on various lines or first class tickets at times saves alot, otherwise probably not worth using the third party.

Personally, we have no problem with NCL air. We go in with the full understanding that they will probably book flights at odd times. We're retired and have nowhere to go fast. Lounging and reading at the airport is the same thing we would do on the ship,,,, except no waves,,, no open bar,,, no Garden Cafe 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:32 PM, graphicguy said:

Smoking on board went away (thankfully), although I've been flying long enough to remember when there was a "smoking section" at the back of the plane.  

I don't know about fares.  I've flown 2M miles, so far.  I think fares did drop initially after deregulation.  Then, the airlines started with them creeping back up.....fuel surcharges, making the planes more uncomfortable and squishing in more passengers.  Charging for checked baggage.  The list goes on and on.  This has been accompanied by a general and significant non-accountability because the airlines haven't had been pushed when they williy-nilly cancel or delay flights when it's avoidable and totally the fault of the airlines.

FAA doesn't seem to care, either.

It's unfortunate, but eventually there will be a crash with a large amount of deaths that will be attributable to overcrowding on a flight.  By then, it's too late to "reform" the airlines.

Even now, I've boarded planes (mostly American, Spirit and Frontier) that I've seen liberal use of zip ties holding parts of the plane and the seats together.  I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

Count me as a person who thinks the airline industry crossed a line a long time ago regarding safety and service (and not in a good way).

I have vague memories of the smoking section too but when I was a kid our foreign holidays involved a ferry to Britain or France . I think the one time we flew was a company party trip for my dad and adding the kids to the fare was nominal. 
I did a ski trip to Bulgaria and on the flight home a bunch of the seats were empty and when we landed they all fell flat, those things were metal frames with a bit of fabric wrapped around them. It was before Bulgaria joined the EU. I also had a flight from Russia that was in a converted cargo plane so no storage over the middle seats, when we landed in London the plane shook so badly part of the ceiling of the cabin fell down, damned lucky there weren’t any passengers in the seats directly below it.  
on my very first cruise my flight home from Miami got cancelled due to British airways having an IT meltdown in London, thankfully they got me onto the Virgin Atlantic flight  which was actually arriving in London earlier than my original flight. For my second cruise Western Europe got slammed with a snow bomb which shut down a bunch of airports, thankfully it cleared in time for my return flight. For my last cruise a bunch of flights from the northern USA states got cancelled so the roll call was filled with stories of people renting vehicles to drive to their connecting airports for their flights to San Juan. Thankfully I’d booked to fly a couple of days early so made through JFK before the cancellations started. The ship actually delayed departure for one flight load but another batch had to meet the ship in Bonaire, they were extremely lucky that NCL and the airlines helped them out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Weather is the most common and the airline is a bit off the hook because they do not control the weather and can't fly per the TSA....

He probably will have to deal with the airline for his refund if they cancelled the flight vs. TSA grounding the plan due to weather.  Good luck.

the TSA has no jurisdiction and does not ground planes for weather delays; it's a security agency. the FAA may invoke a weather-related stoppage, but an individual airline can also cancel or delay a flight based on weather. they have to follow the FAA, they can't override an FAA decision for a stoppage, but they can also make an independent call based on the weather at the departure or arrival city... even if the FAA hasn't made the same call.

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The bigger airlines have more options that they will use.  The smaller ones do not tend to do anything but rebook you on their planes at a later time.

all airlines have the same options, but bigger airlines have more planes and - presumably - more flights. here's the thing, though... USA federal law does not require any airline to rebook on another carrier. but most will, including smaller airlines, who generally want the problem to go away as quickly as possible. if your flight was canceled, it is likely that the next flight on that same airline is at least an hour or more later and empty seats will be hard to come by, as more distressed travelers are accommodated on the later flight. and that is why it's better to call the airline as you wait in line and why it may be better to ask to be put on another carrier's flight.

in the USA, if you choose to cancel your ticket/reservation (along with the return flight) because your flight was canceled, you are entitled to a full refund for the unused portion, even if your ticket was nonrefundable. this applies to bag fees and fees for seat assignments, too.

if your flight originates in the EU, your ticket is governed by far better, more passenger-friendly, laws and protections.

Edited by UKstages