Deck 7 Solo Cabins on Serenity

LewiLewi

I have not stayed in the designated forward cabins, but have booked one for next year and I am very familiar with cabins on deck 7 of Serenity.

If you look at the deck plans and use the forward elevators as your guide, you will note that some...not all ...of the solo cabins are above the theater.  The further forward you go, the more the cabin will be affected by noise from the theater.  This is not a problem if you stay up past the last performance, but the noise is definitely noticeable during a performance for cabins above the theater.  Again looking at the deck plans, there is a space between the most forward solo cabin and the laundry.  It is assumed these cabins are still there and will be utilized by speakers, performers, ambassador hosts, etc.  These will be most affected by noise.  

My advice is to if possible seek out a cabin a door or two away from the elevators, but not over the theater.  I would also note these cabins have more sea motion than mid ship.  Not excessive but worth noting.

In the end, I believe these cabins have exceptional value for the solo traveler.  You get the same cabin layout as other deck seven cabins but for a much smaller price.  i would note they tend to sell quickly. 

Hope this helps. 

12 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

I have not stayed in the designated forward cabins, but have booked one for next year and I am very familiar with cabins on deck 7 of Serenity.

If you look at the deck plans and use the forward elevators as your guide, you will note that some...not all ...of the solo cabins are above the theater.  The further forward you go, the more the cabin will be affected by noise from the theater.  This is not a problem if you stay up past the last performance, but the noise is definitely noticeable during a performance for cabins above the theater.  Again looking at the deck plans, there is a space between the most forward solo cabin and the laundry.  It is assumed these cabins are still there and will be utilized by speakers, performers, ambassador hosts, etc.  These will be most affected by noise.  

My advice is to if possible seek out a cabin a door or two away from the elevators, but not over the theater.  I would also note these cabins have more sea motion than mid ship.  Not excessive but worth noting.

In the end, I believe these cabins have exceptional value for the solo traveler.  You get the same cabin layout as other deck seven cabins but for a much smaller price.  i would note they tend to sell quickly. 

Hope this helps. 

Sounds like it's a case of you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

On most other luxury liners a solo traveler pays double the fare, so they don’t actually get what they pay for. Good for Crystal for offering this to solo travelers.

• Like 1

Just now, LewiLewi said:

On most other luxury liners a solo traveler pays double the fare, so they don’t actually get what they pay for. Good for Crystal for offering this to solo travelers.

Not good to offer a few forward cabins on deck seven amongst the entertainers.

I understand solo cruisers were better catered for on OC

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

If this were totally true, then one could just book a guarantee cabin within the category of choice and there would not be so many threads asking about specific cabins.

Since this thread is about deck 7 on Serenity, compare cabin 7034 with cabin 7036.  These cabins are literally a few feet apart with the exact same layout.   But on Serenity's maiden voyage a solo would pay $10350 for cabin 7036 but only $7600 for cabin 7034.

2 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

If this were totally true, then one could just book a guarantee cabin within the category of choice and there would not be so many threads asking about specific cabins.

Since this thread is about deck 7 on Serenity, compare cabin 7034 with cabin 7036.  These cabins are literally a few feet apart with the exact same layout.   But on Serenity's maiden voyage a solo would pay $10350 for cabin 7036 but only $7600 for cabin 7034.

I know,strange isnt it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, History&Wine said:

Funny the use of the term "cabin" by so many. "Cabin" makes me think of submarine or battleship Navy quarters. Showing my age, I guess. On cruise ships, most lines call them "Staterooms", a more appropriate term IMHO. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I understand solo cruisers were better catered for on OC

Immaterial. 

My first Crystal 2.0 trip will be a month-long cruise in 2024 in a solo cabin at the front of deck 7 - on the Symphony, but the issues, if any, will be the same.  I'm more worried about the forward location than any noise from the theatre below.  However, given the savings, and my unwillingness to pay for a suite - I'm willing to try it out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Immaterial. 

My first Crystal 2.0 trip will be a month-long cruise in 2024 in a solo cabin at the front of deck 7 - on the Symphony, but the issues, if any, will be the same.  I'm more worried about the forward location than any noise from the theatre below.  However, given the savings, and my unwillingness to pay for a suite - I'm willing to try it out. 

You are where you are I suppose.

Hope it all works out well for you.

The funniest part to me is that the singles are called “cozy” while the doubles, which to the best of my knowledge are the exact same size, are called classic.

I’m guessing I’ll be in a cozier situation, with Mr B in my classic stateroom, than my friend will be, by herself in her cozy stateroom.

I prodded her to book quickly, so she got the very first stateroom forward of the elevators. On a previous cruise, she was a bit further forward and she DID complain about the theatre noise … when she was napping in the afternoon and a rehearsal was taking place!

• Haha 1

I have been on 7 on many cruises, both ships. No issues with noise, traffic nor ship movement. I am going on Symphony in 12/2024 due to the itinerary and value to me for the Emirates-Mumbai segment. I refuse to pay double for the other categories as a solo on Crystal. There are several luxury options out there who treat solos very nice- better than C ever did- and offer more bang for the buck in my opinion!  Dining choices, caviar, butler, included excursions and more.

Just now, LewiLewi said:

Were there any issues from noise from below (theatre)?

They had no issues with that.  I didn't post right away as I wanted to check with each of them (two different rooms) and heard back from the second one this morning.

Keith

I definitely heard noise from.below,ie the theater, when I stayed far forward,to the point of keeping me from sleeping ,as I recall.i  I believe they were rehearsing too...fortunately I booked first day of bookings being opened, booking rly for my Aug 2024 b2b,and have booked the furthest back stateroom on port side of the singles staterooms.Like another poster said only a few feet away from the midship category staterooms,but at a much lower fare!

Edited by wearesiamese
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 6:00 PM, MsCrystalina said:

There are several luxury options out there who treat solos very nice- better than C ever did- and offer more bang for the buck in my opinion!

I've always been treated very well as a solo cruiser on Crystal in the before-times; my only experience with another luxury line has been Seabourn, and their service was nowhere near as good, for a higher price.  I was very disappointed in my Seabourn cruise.  I have not and suspect will not sail the small ships of < 500 people, so I haven't looked at their options or prices for solo travel. 

In the next 18 months, I'll be on Azamara, Crystal, and Silversea, so I'll have a wider range of experiences sailing solo. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

... booking early for my Aug 2024 b2b ...

I also booked this b2b but on starboard side. I did not realize there is a Promenade Deck so not directly looking out the window to the sea; I also have concerns about pedestrian traffic and/or noise that might be on the promenade since I am not a morning person and sleep in. I was on Symphony on Deck 5 to AK in 2019 with my spouse and the picture window was great and enjoyable.

2 hours ago, TropiCAL2008 said:

I also booked this b2b but on starboard side. I did not realize there is a Promenade Deck so not directly looking out the window to the sea; I also have concerns about pedestrian traffic and/or noise that might be on the promenade since I am not a morning person and sleep in. I was on Symphony on Deck 5 to AK in 2019 with my spouse and the picture window was great and enjoyable.

There is a film on the windows that allows one to see out but not see in to the rooms if there is no light on.  In any case the drapes would be closed if sleeping.

I have had zero problems with noise from the promenade on my sailings. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I've always been treated very well as a solo cruiser on Crystal in the before-times; my only experience with another luxury line has been Seabourn, and their service was nowhere near as good, for a higher price.  I was very disappointed in my Seabourn cruise.  I have not and suspect will not sail the small ships of < 500 people, so I haven't looked at their options or prices for solo travel. 

In the next 18 months, I'll be on Azamara, Crystal, and Silversea, so I'll have a wider range of experiences sailing solo. 

That really surprises me.  Although Seabourn is not my go-to cruise line, I was always impressed with all the activities they had for solo cruisers.  They are always inviting cruisers to dine with staff.  In the past, we have found Seabourn service equal to other luxury lines (other than the lack of butlers - which for us is a service issue).  We are boarding Seabourn again on the 30th so we will see if there has been a decline in service since our last Seabourn cruise which was a few years back.  Nancygp has been on Seabourn a few times recently and she has given the line high praise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TropiCAL2008 said:

Once, we stayed on 7 on Serenity. I am not an early morning person and I was disturbed by conversations on the promenade. Also we found it dark as there was the overhang plus we had to keep the curtains closed so people couldn't see in if there was a light on in the room.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:54 AM, bitob said:

That really surprises me.

I realize that I mistyped.....I was not disappointed in my Seabourn cruise and did enjoy myself, but I was very disappointed in the service on the cruise.  I can't say I was disappointed in the ship or the route, but the service was, frankly, bad.  

They did have invitations most nights for solo passengers to dine with cruise staff in the main dining room, but the service and quality of food in the main dining room was not very good, so I only took them up on that offer once.  In fact, after the second or third day, I never chose to eat there again (though I did eat with a some new friends once or twice at their request).  Dining and bar staff generally provided pretty bad service in most of the venues (TK's lounge being the only exception); sometimes I didn't get an ordered beverage with breakfast or lunch until I'd asked 3 times and I'd finished eating.  Maybe it was an aberration that voyage, but the food and beverage service was quite bad, and food in the main dining room ranged from marginal to not good. 

Edited by calliopecruiser

6 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I realize that I mistyped.....I was not disappointed in my Seabourn cruise and did enjoy myself, but I was very disappointed in the service on the cruise.  I can't say I was disappointed in the ship or the route, but the service was, frankly, bad.  

They did have invitations most nights for solo passengers to dine with cruise staff in the main dining room, but the service and quality of food in the main dining room was not very good, so I only took them up on that offer once.  In fact, after the second or third day, I never chose to eat there again (though I did eat with a some new friends once or twice at their request).  Dining and bar staff generally provided pretty bad service in most of the venues (TK's lounge being the only exception); sometimes I didn't get an ordered beverage with breakfast or lunch until I'd asked 3 times and I'd finished eating.  Maybe it was an aberration that voyage, but the food and beverage service was quite bad, and food in the main dining room ranged from marginal to not good. 

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and it sounds like it was a special weight loss cruise 😁

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

it sounds like it was a special weight loss cruise 😁

LOL.....there were other places to eat on board that had much better food than the dining room - the sushi restaurant and the poolside dinner venue (I forget what they called it at night) were both particularly good.  Poolside at night was a lovely place to dine; the sushi restaurant had good food, but visually the decor was lacking.  I did not go hungry!