BOOKING REDUNDABLE VS NONREFUNDABLE

I have seen this discussed but can’t seem to find it now! If I book a refundable deposit for a 10/24 cruise, I will be able to cancel and rebook if there is a better deal on fare and/or perks. If there is not a better deal, at what point and how do I change for a NRD? 

17 minutes ago, elliekate said:

If there is not a better deal, at what point and how do I change for a NRD? 

You would only switch to NRD close to final payment (90 days out) if the rate is below your existing refundable rate. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elliekate said:

I have seen this discussed but can’t seem to find it now! If I book a refundable deposit for a 10/24 cruise, I will be able to cancel and rebook if there is a better deal on fare and/or perks. If there is not a better deal, at what point and how do I change for a NRD? 

You can reprice to take advantage of a price decrease whether you have a refundable or and nonrefundable fare.  When you reach final payment date, 75 or 90 days before your sail date, your refundable becomes nonrefundable.  The chances are, if you book refundable now, that when you reach that point a NRD will cost more than what you locked in at.  Not always but usually.  

That being said, I almost always book refundable deposits.  My TA has group space that comes automatically as refundable and almost always the lowest price you will find.  I can only remember one cruise that was group space that had a decrease at any point before embarkation.  And on that one my TA lowered my price and just advised me of the change.

If you are booking double occupancy travel agent group space is the way to go if you can find it available. If not I'd pay the small premium and still book refundable.  So much can happen between now and 10/24.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

can only remember one cruise that was group space that had a decrease at any point before embarkation

There was a lot of reductions in the first 9 months after start up b ut that was an exception and as you stated there are rarely times that Royals price drops below the group rates.

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can reprice to take advantage of a price decrease whether you have a refundable or and nonrefundable fare.  When you reach final payment date, 75 or 90 days before your sail date, your refundable becomes nonrefundable.  The chances are, if you book refundable now, that when you reach that point a NRD will cost more than what you locked in at.  Not always but usually.  

That being said, I almost always book refundable deposits.  My TA has group space that comes automatically as refundable and almost always the lowest price you will find.  I can only remember one cruise that was group space that had a decrease at any point before embarkation.  And on that one my TA lowered my price and just advised me of the change.

If you are booking double occupancy travel agent group space is the way to go if you can find it available. If not I'd pay the small premium and still book refundable.  So much can happen between now and 10/24.

Sometimes that "small premium" is not so small. I think RCI's pricing is pretty crazy right now and that includes the refundable deposit suppliment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There was a lot of reductions in the first 9 months after start up b ut that was an exception and as you stated there are rarely times that Royals price drops below the group rates.

That was when it was, I think... It was Ovation of the Seas to Alaska, August 26/2022, which itself was a lift and shift from 2021.  If I remember right, Royal added Quantum to the mix in Seattle and that changed the pricing dynamic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sometimes that "small premium" is not so small. I think RCI's pricing is pretty crazy right now and that includes the refundable deposit supplement.

You are right.  I've noticed it is much higher than it used to be on cruises that I have previously booked.  That puts group space in an even more favorable light. The closer to final it gets, the higher the premium appears to be too.  

17 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You are right.  I've noticed it is much higher than it used to be on cruises that I have previously booked.  That puts group space in an even more favorable light. The closer to final it gets, the higher the premium appears to be too.  

Is your TA local? I am in need of a TA!

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That was when it was, I think... It was Ovation of the Seas to Alaska, August 26/2022, which itself was a lift and shift from 2021.  If I remember right, Royal added Quantum to the mix in Seattle and that changed the pricing dynamic.

That was great the year they brought her in.  Super low prices. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can solos book as part of a group since they pretty much pay for two people?

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That was great the year they brought her in.  Super low prices. 

Yeah, I think when we originally booked in Nov of 2019 the price was around 4300. After several price drops, by the time we got to final payment in 2022 it was around 2600.  That was a really good deal. 

• Like 2