Should I just forfeit my Japan 2024 deposit now to avoid possible future losses?

tscoffey

Getting nervous reading the various threads about Japan 2024 cruise passengers on Millennium being cancelled. If the reasoning is correct, and it seems quite likely to be, the cancellations are the result of Japan requiring each cruise to have a minimum number of cabins set aside for Covid isolation purposes. Further, the cabins being cancelled seem to be in the lower decks, nearer to  medical.

My cruise is in late May, and I have an inside cabin on deck 3. A prime candidate for being cancelled if the above scenario is correct.

If I keep this cruise, I will soon need to start booking some very expensive roundtrip flights to Tokyo. Plus, 3-4 hotel nights there (as well as post-cruise sightseeing expenses in Tokyo). These expenses would likely exceed $3500, minimum,  in addition to the cruise charges.

I originally paid my cruise deposit in mid-December, 2022. I don’t have trip insurance yet, so I assume I can’t insure any future flights or hotels associated with this cruise that are purchased in the future, correct?

So - lose $900 now, guaranteed, and avoid any chance of losing a future $3500?

(We are new cruise travelers, so these kinds of situation, risks are all new to us).

From everything I’ve seen, late May cruises have not been oversold and have not had any reported cancelled bookings. I would hold tight for now, but definitely consider travel insurance if you keep your cruise. 

When we went to Japan for a Celebrity cruise in 2018, there also was speculation about the trips being cancelled.  To avoid potential airfare issues, we booked with Flights by Celebrity, so if Celebrity cancelled the cruise, we would get our airfare refunded.  We also made refundable hotel and tour reservations.

• Like 9

I have booked late May cruise is well. I think they are scheduled for all the ports in Japan and should be OK to go ahead. Maybe book flight with Celebrity is a good idea. You can book Japan hotel later on or have a flexible booking. 

If the cruise is in late May, 2024 there won't be any airline bookings going on until mid-June at the earliest.  Best to let it rest for the time being and see how things play out over the next couple of months.  For sure, you should consider travel/medical insurance.

Why would you possibly "lose" any money? If the cruise cancels, then you get a full refund. If you want to be on the super safe side book your flights through Flights by Celebrity and in that case, you'll be fully refunded as well. Hotels before/after the cruise don't have to be booked this early and can always be booked flex in any case.

9 hours ago, tscoffey said:

I originally paid my cruise deposit in mid-December, 2022. I don’t have trip insurance yet, so I assume I can’t insure any future flights or hotels associated with this cruise that are purchased in the future, correct?

If you have insurance questions, you should call one of the travel insurance agencies like "insuremytrip".  They can best explain your insurance options.

41 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Why would you possibly "lose" any money? If the cruise cancels, then you get a full refund. If you want to be on the super safe side book your flights through Flights by Celebrity and in that case, you'll be fully refunded as well. Hotels before/after the cruise don't have to be booked this early and can always be booked flex in any case.

If the passenger cancels, not the cruise line, there’s a chance they would forfeit the deposit. That’s what the poster is asking, should he cancel now or wait to see what Celebrity does.  I say wait at least until 330 days out from the cruise, which is when fLights could start to be booked.  Hold off on the decision until then.

• Like 1

If you decide not to take the Japan cruise, find another cruise you like and move the booking reservation. You should only forfeit the $100 PP change fee and receive the balance as a Future Cruise Credit to be applied to your new cruise.  As others have said, it's too soon to book air, even through Flights By Celebrity and most hotels have rates that do not require prepayment and have the option to cancel within 48 hours or so.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tscoffey said:

If I keep this cruise, I will soon need to start booking some very expensive roundtrip flights to Tokyo.

If you are new to cruising, you may not have recognized the merits of @NMTraveller's earlier suggestion to use "Flights by Celebrity".  If you book your flights with FBC, you have the option of not paying for the air fare until your final payment for the cruise is due.  There is no deposit required either. That is probably the biggest advantage of using them.  Until you make this delayed airfare payment, you can also (without penalty) decide to cancel your flight reservation with them and book independently if you wish.

Also, I believe (but am not 100.000% sure) that if your cruise is cancelled by Celebrity after final cruise payment deadline (which means you would have paid for your air fare payment by then), you will get your air fare back, too.

55 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If you decide not to take the Japan cruise, find another cruise you like and move the booking reservation. You should only forfeit the $100 PP change fee and receive the balance as a Future Cruise Credit to be applied to your new cruise.  As others have said, it's too soon to book air, even through Flights By Celebrity and most hotels have rates that do not require prepayment and have the option to cancel within 48 hours or so.

That is something I am not knowledgeable of - that I can move my deposit to another Celebrity booking without loss (except for the $100 charge).

Good to know, thanks. Makes this decision almost a no-brainer now.

24 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

That is something I am not knowledgeable of - that I can move my deposit to another Celebrity booking without loss (except for the $100 charge).

Good to know, thanks. Makes this decision almost a no-brainer now.

You just need to keep in mind that you must keep your original booking number. Do not cancel and then rebook a new cruise. Just change the ship and sail date on your original booking.

Switched my booking to a 10-day Greece/Israel/Egypt sailing on April 5th. Cost me $200 to do it.

Only took 90 minutes on the phone with Expedia, as they kept dropping my calls.

I think we'll like the excursions in Israel and Egypt a lot better too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Getting nervous reading the various threads about Japan 2024 cruise passengers on Millennium being cancelled. If the reasoning is correct, and it seems quite likely to be, the cancellations are the result of Japan requiring each cruise to have a minimum number of cabins set aside for Covid isolation purposes. Further, the cabins being cancelled seem to be in the lower decks, nearer to  medical.

My cruise is in late May, and I have an inside cabin on deck 3. A prime candidate for being cancelled if the above scenario is correct.

If I keep this cruise, I will soon need to start booking some very expensive roundtrip flights to Tokyo. Plus, 3-4 hotel nights there (as well as post-cruise sightseeing expenses in Tokyo). These expenses would likely exceed $3500, minimum,  in addition to the cruise charges.

(We are new cruise travelers, so these kinds of situation, risks are all new to us).

Deleted as OP found solution...

bon voyage

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

12 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

If the passenger cancels, not the cruise line, there’s a chance they would forfeit the deposit. That’s what the poster is asking, should he cancel now or wait to see what Celebrity does.  I say wait at least until 330 days out from the cruise, which is when fLights could start to be booked.  Hold off on the decision until then.

Yes, but it sounds like the OP is concerned about what Celebrity does with the cruise. Why not just see and let it happen, then book something else after that (worst case) utilizing the free credit?

On 4/19/2023 at 8:02 PM, tscoffey said:

OP solved the problem

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

9 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Will you be happy with your cruise if it is Greece, Egypt and not Greece, Israel and Egypt.    Israel is always iffy.

Well, no. That would be 3 of the 10 days, and the stops my wife really wants to do.

But we have a future land tour of Israel in the early planning stages (5-7 days), so we would get there eventually.