Do you bring your Kindle on a beach excursion?

ruru107

Basically what the title says. I can't decide if I should bring my Kindle for a beach day excursion. On one hand it would be nice to read on the beach, but on the other hand I'm worrying that it will get stolen if I leave it to go in the water. It's an old model, but still...

I always bring my Kindle, I put it in a zip lock bag when not reading to keep sand and water out.  There are usually other people from your cruise on the beach and I try to stay close to them; it seems everyone looks out for each other.  Easy to do on Princess because they let you take their towels off the ship and they are all blue and white stripes.

• Like 1

I don’t do beach excursions, but I might go to the pools at Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  I might take my Kindle, also an older model paperwhite.  If it would be stolen, I would miss it, but I have several more at home just like it.  When we first got Kindles, they had two word games that we played a lot.  When Amazon upgraded the operating system, they did not upgrade the games, so they can’t be loaded onto Gen. 7 and later.  So we picked up extras.  I took my first kindle on a cruise in 2012.  EM

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Yes, why not.

And let's face it, Kindles have little or no value to a thief. Why steal something that no one would want to buy. 

But whoever would steal it probably thinks it’s a tablet that might have some value.  EM

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

But whoever would steal it probably thinks it’s a tablet that might have some value.  EM

That's a fair point, although any thief who thinks a Kindle is the same as a tablet will never get rich !  

• Like 1

I'm planning to take a paperback for beach days on my cruise next winter. I'll have my Kobo ereader for sea days/on board, but between sun, sand and the potential for theft, I think I'm going to leave the ereader on board for those days. 

• Like 1

I think I would bring it. Usually there’s someone sitting close by that you can ask to keep an eye on your stuff if you’re only going to be gone a short while. I’d be less worried about my kindle than I would be a purse/money. 

I do, but then my husband rarely goes in the water.  Even if he did, I'd feel fine leaving it in my beach bag on a chair, maybe covered with a towel or something, and in an area where obviously other cruisers are.  I might glance over there a time or two, but wouldn't worry unduly.

It's also not real new and my only big regret if it was stolen was losing the books because I go nuts if I don't have reading material.  Of course I can read on my phone also, if I have an internet package.  Ship libraries are ridiculous any more with hardly any books at all.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I usually bring a paperback for beach excursions. All the reasons you mentioned: sand, water, and theft. While a used kindle may have little value, that doesn't take the bite of out of the fact that i would have to buy a new one. 

• Like 1

Living in NJ, I’ve been to the beach100’s of times. We all bring our phones and wallets, I honestly don’t know of anyone who’s even had property stolen. I’m not saying it’s never happened, but definitely not common.

First, if your Kindle is an older model that is no longer supported by Amazon, it is possible that it is not a valuable item for potential thieves on the beach. In that case, you can just take it with you to the beach and enjoy reading. Second, if you do fear that your Kindle might be stolen, it is best not to leave it unattended on the beach. You can carry it in your bag or backpack and not leave it unattended in water or on the beach. Also, if you have friends or family who will be with you at the beach, you can ask them to watch your Kindle while you swim or relax on the beach. Third, if you still don't feel confident about taking your Kindle to the beach, you can consider other reading options. For example, you can bring a regular book or use a reading app on your smartphone or tablet. This may be a safer option if you don't want to risk losing your Kindle.

Edited by NicolasBierman