Central Canada to Asia - suggestions for flights

LizzGo

Our first time flying to Asia (Singapore) and we live in Canada- the prairies - so sort of west central. I have been researching flight options. It would appear we could travel in either direction for about the same amount of flying time and connections. Either way Singapore is halfway around the world. My questions:

• We feel the safest in terms of not losing luggage and encountering delays would be to take the 17 hr direct from San Fran with United or Vancouver with Singapore Air. Have you done this? Thoughts?
  • Draw back is getting to SF or VQR to catch that direct flight- - we would have to take a separate flight - no big deal but risky in Jan when weather could cause flight interruptions. So we are thinking best to try to get a flight that originates closest to us but flights options are not great. 
  • What about flying through Europe connecting in Frankfurt or Amsterdam? Is this awful? 

In short I'd love hear from anyone who has flown NA to Singapore and will share their best flight experience in terms of carrier and itinerary. Thanks! 

What is your home airport?

You could book all on 1 ticket   then if any delays the  airline would help you out

I would do the connection in  YVR  route rather than Europe   but that is just me

The closet airports would be Saskatoon or Regina- neither of which is International, so Calgary is next best option.  I agree it makes the most sense to book all in one in case there is an issue, but flight options are so darn limited. Even Calgary- for example Air Canada and Singapore Air are Star Alliance airlines. So you'd think we could fly Air Canada to Vancouver and get the 17 hr direct to Singapore but not an option. I don't understand. And If I start with Air Singapore - even Calgary is not an option.

I asked about flying v Europe out of curiosity. Its not that much longer. Wondering if there is an advantage. (But it feels wrong!) 

44 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

The closet airports would be Saskatoon or Regina- neither of which is International, so Calgary is next best option.  I agree it makes the most sense to book all in one in case there is an issue, but flight options are so darn limited. Even Calgary- for example Air Canada and Singapore Air are Star Alliance airlines. So you'd think we could fly Air Canada to Vancouver and get the 17 hr direct to Singapore but not an option. I don't understand. And If I start with Air Singapore - even Calgary is not an option.

I asked about flying v Europe out of curiosity. Its not that much longer. Wondering if there is an advantage. (But it feels wrong!) 

Actually, both Saskatoon and Regina are international airports. But I hear ya on the limited flights.

I think the problem you're hitting is that the Vancouver-Singapore flight appears to be seasonal (summer), and you're searching for January.

Don't discount going via Europe if it gives you better flights. As you said, Singapore is halfway around the world, so why favour one way around over another?

6 hours ago, LizzGo said:

I use to live in Saskatoon.  When I did I would fly international for business regularly.  I would not be overly worried.   Your likely going to have three flights to get there.

First thing is you want everything on one ticket. That way if you miss a connection, the airline is responsible for rerouting and rebooking.   I would avoid going through Europe, it just makes everything longer than it has to be.  With the issue with Ukraine and Russia, the western airlines all have to fly a few extra hours around Russia making everything much longer.

Flight delays out of Saskatoon are more likely as the day progresses.  Far less common on the first flight of the day.

Out of Saskatoon to Asia I have usually connected in Vancouver.  Typical pattern is Air Canada has an aircraft that arrives late evening into Saskatoon, stays overnight.  Early morning it goes to Vancouver and is timed to connect to all the late morning flights from Vancouver to Asia.   Your probably then going to have to make a connection in Japan or South Korea.  I would avoid China.

There is also a number of flights to Asia that leave Vancouver around midnight.  That would be another option.  

WestJet  is starting up Calgary - Tokyo (Narita) flight.  I don't know what the timing looks like.

3 hours ago, em-sk said:

First thing is you want everything on one ticket. That way if you miss a connection, the airline is responsible for rerouting and rebooking.   I would avoid going through Europe, it just makes everything longer than it has to be.  With the issue with Ukraine and Russia, the western airlines all have to fly a few extra hours around Russia making everything much longer.

Actually the flight restrictions over Russia and Ukraina do not affect most Europe<->Singapore flights as much as it affects flights between Europe and Korea, Japan and northern parts of China, which have to take much longer detour whereas Singapore flights still follow roughly similar route as earlier, just tad more southern flight path.

Edited by Hezu

One thing to remember.  Even though an airline may be pushing you into a shorter connection, on an international itinerary, you can have a connection of up to 24 hours without causing it to "break" the fare.  So if you have the option for a couple of originating flights to your international gateway, remember that you can use anything as long as the connect is under 24 hours.

We flew to Singapore on Singapore Airlines from Portland in Nov 2019.  We chose to go through LAX on the outgoing because the flight took off at night.  The Seattle flight left in the morning and I thought the LA option would facilitate sleep.  We booked Premium Economy and it was really nice.  We came back through Seattle.

Edited by ilovesalchows

• 2 weeks later...

We’re back to original plan - Calgary ( 5 hr drive) - short direct to SFO then take either the United or Singapore Air 17 hr direct to Singapore. The one little thing is the YYC - SFO would be a separate ticket, so we would  have to collect bags and recheck in SFO. Not such a big deal I guess and at least we would be sure our bags would show up in SIN.  

We are using air miles to book this flight, so I’m not sure why none of my options allow me to this as all in one with Singapore Air! But we can with United. 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, LizzGo said:

The one little thing is the YYC - SFO would be a separate ticket, so we would  have to collect bags and recheck in SFO. Not such a big deal I guess and at least we would be sure our bags would show up in SIN.

Why would you be sure of this? If you check your bag twice, you double many of the chances of the bag going walkabout. Bags don't only go missing when they're being transferred from one flight to another.

1 hour ago, LizzGo said:

We’re back to original plan - Calgary ( 5 hr drive) - short direct to SFO then take either the United or Singapore Air 17 hr direct to Singapore. The one little thing is the YYC - SFO would be a separate ticket, so we would  have to collect bags and recheck in SFO. Not such a big deal I guess and at least we would be sure our bags would show up in SIN.  

We are using air miles to book this flight, so I’m not sure why none of my options allow me to this as all in one with Singapore Air! But we can with United. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The risk you are taking do things is if your flight from Calgary to San Francisco is delayed or canceled for any reason the airline is not responsible for rebooking you to Singapore.  Your on your own to buy a new ticket.

If it is all on one ticket then the airline is covering any cost of rebooking you to your final destination even if it involved buying you a ticket on a different airline. 

No we're not entirely sure, but were thinking we would not want to cut it that close. Arrive SFO around 1 pm and fly out the next day 8 pm  If things like weather are looking iffy in the days coming up before departure we could drive to SFO! Or even change that flight to leave a few days earlier. 

We would be collecting our bags at SFO and then checking them with Singapore Air. This is a problem? I think it sounds less risky than YXE- VQR- Tapei/Toykyo/Seoul -SIN. UGH. 

But no, still not entirely sure, ....

2 hours ago, LizzGo said:

We would be collecting our bags at SFO and then checking them with Singapore Air. This is a problem? I think it sounds less risky than YXE- VQR- Tapei/Toykyo/Seoul -SIN. UGH.

It's not a problem. But checking in the bags for the first flight, planning to collect them at the intermediate point and to check them in again for the second flight, is not a guarantee that you will see your bags at the end of the second flight.

4 hours ago, LizzGo said:

No we're not entirely sure, but were thinking we would not want to cut it that close. Arrive SFO around 1 pm and fly out the next day 8 pm  If things like weather are looking iffy in the days coming up before departure we could drive to SFO! Or even change that flight to leave a few days earlier. 

But no, still not entirely sure, ....

I lived in Saskatoon for 13 years flying for business every other month.  Flying in/out of Saskatoon is not particularly "risky".   Your just as likely to have a flight be canceled due to weather in Calgary as Saskatoon.   I would not be worried about your bags missing a connection in Tokyo. 

Taipei, Tokyo-Narita and Seoul are all airports where international connections are common and you do not clear local customs or immigration unless your staying in the country.  The US is not setup for international connections.  You enter the US with your bags then exit the US again.  There are so few people making international connections at US airports they don't go out of their way to make it smother.     

Personally i would chose flying from Saskatoon to Vancouver or Calgary then off to Narita or Taipei or Soul over going through the US especially if I had to overnight in the US.   If I had the time I would rather add the extra night at the final destination before boarding the ship than an airport hotel somewhere in between.  

Singapore airlines has a fantastic reputation for inflight service.  I have not been on Singapore but have been on EVA, Cathy Pacific, ANA and JAL. The Asian airlines generally have great in flight service.  

To answer your question is there are problem with flying from Calgary to San Francisco, picking up your bags. Overnighting and then catching a flight the next day.  No.  You will be charged some baggage fees on the Calgary to San Francisco flight if it is not on the same ticket as an overseas flight.  But it can be done.  Your will clear US customs in Calgary and arrive at a domestic gate in San Francisco.     

If your going to drive to Calgary, you may want to look into the WestJet flight from Calgary to Tokyo.  

Edited by em-sk

Although this our first time flying to Asia we have done quite a bit of flying to Europe and Africa. But then it was always Calgary, sometimes a Toronto connection. What we see as risky with Saskatoon is the weather! And also that extra stop. We’re trying to fly Singapore Air and I am frustrated that the only way to catch that direct is to start in SFO. Your comments about the International connections are interesting. We flew back from NYC recently and found that “international”crossing pretty clunky and annoying. That we had to collect our bags in YYZ instead of our destination YYC just seemed dumb. 

1 hour ago, LizzGo said:

Although this our first time flying to Asia we have done quite a bit of flying to Europe and Africa. But then it was always Calgary, sometimes a Toronto connection. What we see as risky with Saskatoon is the weather! And also that extra stop. We’re trying to fly Singapore Air and I am frustrated that the only way to catch that direct is to start in SFO. Your comments about the International connections are interesting. We flew back from NYC recently and found that “international”crossing pretty clunky and annoying. That we had to collect our bags in YYZ instead of our destination YYC just seemed dumb. 

Saskatoon and Calgary have similar conditions.    

Singapore Airlines recently stopped flying into Vancouver.  They still fly into Seattle.  You could do the same thing you plan to do in SFO in SEA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Heck, checking a bag on a non-stop is no guarantee they will arrive with you!!

I had a colleague fly out of Longview, Texas once. Longview. The airport is like the size of a small shed. American Airlines forgot to put her bag on the plane...

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 6:25 AM, Zach1213 said:

I had a colleague fly out of Longview, Texas once. Longview. The airport is like the size of a small shed. American Airlines forgot to put her bag on the plane...

I flew into FAY last year. Much to the chagrin on my friends in Pinehurst, whose “preferred” airport is RDU (even though FAY is closer). 

Flight landed in FAY on time, without incident, and was the only plane on the ground at the terminal. Waited one hour at baggage claim for Jethro bagging groceries at the Piggly Wiggly to come fix the conveyor belt.