QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

44 minutes ago, eroller said:

If indeed the issue is corrosion, this is not something that occurs overnight but over time.  One would think regular inspections by the engineering team would uncover such corrosion, and take preventive measures.  There may of course be more to it, but that is my initial reaction. 

What has been written about this repair issue is the key fact that the engines have to stop and the funnel has to cool down to make necessary repairs. 
I would imagine that stoppage and cool-down would be near impossible to do during a World Voyage without experiencing a multi-day delay in a faraway port. 

It seems the QM2 made the decision (rightfully) and sped up to Southampton to purposely make repairs there vs who knows where. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NE John said:

What has been written about this repair issue is the key fact that the engines have to stop and the funnel has to cool down to make necessary repairs. 
I would imagine that stoppage and cool-down would be near impossible to do during a World Voyage without experiencing a multi-day delay in a faraway port. 

It seems the QM2 made the decision (rightfully) and sped up to Southampton to purposely make repairs there vs who knows where. 

And again corrosion doesn't happen overnight.  Somehow every other cruise ship with scrubbers and a funnel seems to have avoided this issue, even those that partake in world voyages, I'm assuming with proper maintenance. 

As for Cunard making the "right" decision, I'm guessing they had no choice.  The issue got bad enough that immediate repairs had to be made.  Sorry I don't view Cunard as some sort of hero in all this. 

• Like 1

Just called Cunard USA to book the coronation cruise and was told all bookings have to be done in the UK phone number 0344 338 8641 on Thursday... flights from Miami are around $2000 return for two people on BA.... Queens grill for only 599 pounds... God save the King!!!😇

• Like 2

My main concern about this entire incident is the lack of official info from Cunard. It sounds like most of us are still speculating (including me!)
Amazingly, the scheduled 6/30 arrival after the 6/23 TA I’ll be on will be the first time since the January WV start that QM2 will be back in NY Harbor. 

31 minutes ago, NE John said:

My main concern about this entire incident is the lack of official info from Cunard. It sounds like most of us are still speculating (including me!)
Amazingly, the scheduled 6/30 arrival after the 6/23 TA I’ll be on will be the first time since the January WV start that QM2 will be back in NY Harbor. 

There is a May 18 crossing from Southampton that arrives in Brooklyn May 26.  Not yet cancelled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tv24 said:

There is a May 18 crossing from Southampton that arrives in Brooklyn May 26.  Not yet cancelled.

According to my TA's Polar booking system, May 18th TA has been 100% Waitlisted  for some time now but on occasion a cabin opens up and is quickly booked.

3 hours ago, eroller said:

And again corrosion doesn't happen overnight.  Somehow every other cruise ship with scrubbers and a funnel seems to have avoided this issue, even those that partake in world voyages, I'm assuming with proper maintenance. 

As for Cunard making the "right" decision, I'm guessing they had no choice.  The issue got bad enough that immediate repairs had to be made.  Sorry I don't view Cunard as some sort of hero in all this. 

Agreed.  I’m beginning to think that everyone on here either works for Cunard or owns stock in the company.  

5 minutes ago, cagefreewill said:

Agreed.  I’m beginning to think that everyone on here either works for Cunard or owns stock in the company.  

My first post on this thread....

You and others are quite right; A technical failure of something that could have been subject to regular inspection can't be the responsibility of anyone other than the operator and can't really be considered to be outside their control. So Cunard must be at fault.

I have no mechanical or engineering qualifications but remarkably spent 5 years of my career holding ultimate responsibility for a decent sized engineering operation. Luckily I had a very good Engineering Manager reporting to me and quickly understood that making and acting on regular checks was key to maintaining a safe operation, and would never have approved the use of an asset that could have posed risk of injury to people or damage to it or other property.

However sometimes in corporate cultures things slip through the net and problems arise that could have been foreseen but nobody thought of. That's often why you have plane or train crashes, and hopefully something is always learned from such incidents.

In this case it's possible something wasn't being checked regularly, and that might tie in with a modification being made in 2016 and not being included in the regular inspection program???

If so, it's hard to say it could not have been predicted.

Having said all that, Cunard are not the only company that ever makes mistakes. I don't see the point of folk coming on this forum and moaning how awful Cunard are. Their effort would be better employed putting a claim for any losses together.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cagefreewill said:

Like all cruise lines Cunard has its share of cheerleaders.  Loyal to the bitter end.  That isn’t me.  I call them like I see them. I’m a realist.  I’ll certainly give Cunard praise when praise is due.  This isn’t one of those times.  

It’s unfortunate for those that had their crossings canceled last minute.  Could this have been prevented with proper ongoing maintenance?  We may never know.  Now we have a new short Coronation cruise.  Smart business move. Recoup some of that lost revenue.  Carnival Corp needs as much as they can get.  Lots of loans to pay down and they haven’t posted a profit since pre-COVID (like most cruise lines).  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Whatever the opinions posted in this forum I'll take a bet that every stateroom on the new special Coronation cruise will be sold within a very short time after release to sale. The lucky people who get to go on that voyage will likely have a fabulous time and many will want to book future cruises with Cunard. So good marketing ploy by Cunard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Whatever the opinions posted in this forum I'll take a bet that every stateroom on the new special Coronation cruise will be sold within a very short time after release to sale. The lucky people who get to go on that voyage will likely have a fabulous time and many will want to book future cruises with Cunard. So good marketing ploy by Cunard.

Very likely.  Selling out cruises is not difficult in the current climate.  Add in bargain basement pricing, a short duration, and no air for most and it’s a sure thing.  Cunard needs some new exposure and the cheap cruise will likely attract some Cunard first timers.  Not a bad thing especially with a new ship on the way.  More berths to fill which I think ties in with the dumb downed dress code.  Cunard needs to attract new blood and playing down the formality (which Cunard was renowned for) is one way to do it.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

The U.K. site says it can be booked from outside U.K. but has to be in GBP - so I guess try the U.K. site when it’s open for  bookings 

Can international guests book?

Yes, please call the Contact Centre who will be able to process your booking, which will be made in GBP.

From NZ I can see the page and all the details - bookings not open until the 27th - which it is in NZ but not in the UK I assume 

17 minutes ago, eroller said:

Very likely.  Selling out cruises is not difficult in the current climate.  Add in bargain basement pricing, a short duration, and no air for most and it’s a sure thing.  Cunard needs some new exposure and the cheap cruise will likely attract some Cunard first timers.  Not a bad thing especially with a new ship on the way.  More berths to fill which I think ties in with the dumb downed dress code.  Cunard needs to attract new blood and playing down the formality (which Cunard was renowned for) is one way to do it.  

Actually the Cunard web page for this new cruise looks much more like it is really pushing the formality and the splendor of the Gala evenings and dancing as well as the glorious dining...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Actually the Cunard web page for this new cruise looks much more like it is really pushing the formality and the splendor of the Gala evenings and dancing as well as the glorious dining...

That’s great but it doesn’t change the printed dress code which is much more relaxed. Also a short and cheap cruise generally tends to lack the refinement of a typical Cunard voyage, but who knows maybe it will be the exception.  It does sound fun and hopefully a nice getaway for many, especially those wanting to experience a true ocean liner.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eroller said:

That’s great but it doesn’t change the printed dress code which is much more relaxed. Also a short and cheap cruise generally tends to lack the refinement of a typical Cunard voyage, but who knows maybe it will be the exception.  It does sound fun and hopefully a nice getaway for many, especially those wanting to experience a true ocean liner.  

Possibly the special occasion nature of the voyage would add a bit to the formality? Yes, it's cheap and short, but it's the *coronation*, so maybe folks will be more willing than usual to dress up?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Starstruckharper said:

Possibly the special occasion nature of the voyage would add a bit to the formality? Yes, it's cheap and short, but it's the *coronation*, so maybe folks will be more willing than usual to dress up?

Yes could be the case for sure.  If I lived in Southern England I would love to hop on that sailing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

The announcement for this cruise refers to: "a much-loved Gala Evening."  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NE John said:

18 hours ago, eroller said:

Okay, so I'll go with a scrubber/exhaust failure, but it still seems strange.  I haven't gone completely back in the thread, but IIRC this is supposed to be a corrosion failure of multiple exhausts?  I find it a bit strange that if it was only one engine, that Cunard says they can't do it in service, as other lines have installed scrubbers sequentially across the engines while remaining in service.  Only if it was multiple failures that caused a toxic atmosphere inside the funnel while underway would it seem that they couldn't work on it in service.  As I've said, they generally don't need all engines, and they certainly could substitute the gas turbines for diesels as needed (each of the gas turbines is 150% of the capacity of each diesel).

But, if it is multiple failures, these don't appear overnight, nor do they all happen at the same time.  This means that it was known for quite some time that the systems were failing, yet Cunard did nothing while it could have been repaired in service, and that it just finally collapsed the house of cards.  I'm surprised the class surveyors were not aware of the failures, and didn't require repairs sooner.

• Like 2

No doubt I will be shot down in flames, but would point out that despite regular scheduled maintenance the unexpected can still happen ! Only Cunard know the issue that caused QM2 to stay in port for repairs and as Victoria2 says, all is speculation until Cunard provide information. 

• Like 5

I’ve not heard a peep since the cancel email. Very very disappointing.

I paid nearly as much in airfare to get home as the cost of the cruise so nothing from insurance. 13 hours in coach versus 7 days at sea and I feel awful. Such an experience…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, eroller said:

The MCA would almost certainly put a prohibition notice on her if cunard had not cancelled

• Like 1