Dressy shorts for boys in the MDR

ChemistBabe

My little guy (8) has no long pants that aren't sweat pants.  (He barely squeezed into his old dress pants at Christmas and has grown since then.)

He has several pairs of khaki shorts that he wears with polo shirts.

Are nice shorts on children still a no-no in the MDR?

(Ironically this is my child that wore a 3 piece suit for his first day of Zoom school.)

• Like 1

Someone else posted a response to my similar question that shorts are okay in the MDR (at least for kids).  I would think it's okay because you can't even see their legs at dinner!  We'll bring one pair of pants for formal nights, shoes (not sandals), and nicer shirts.

We've been sailing Princess for 5 years.  As a bay area mom who works at a school, I get it.  My boys each have one pair of pants that aren't sweats or joggers.  They're only used for cruises.  I make them pack that pair of pants for each cruise. If we see men being allowed into the dining room with shorts from day 2 on, they are allowed to wear shorts in the dining room.  They have been able to wear shorts to dinner on every single Princess cruise we've done.  They usually opt to wear those pants on "dress to impress" evening with a button-down shirt. We've done two Alaskan cruises from SF, two Mexican Riviera cruises from the west coast, one Hawaiian cruise from SF, and one Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona.  That's been our experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

I would certainly hope not, for an eight year old child.  What he is wearing is normal attire for that age in the UK.  

In the UK 12 and under boys tend to wear grey or black Bermuda length shorts to school.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, memoak said:

What kids don’t have long pants ?

Honestly, California kids don't wear long pants.

True story!

My kid wears shorts to school EVERY DAY.  Including winter, when he is wearing a sweatshirt (not a jacket, a sweatshirt.)

For the last family wedding he wore knee length khaki shorts, a button down shirt and bow-tie.  He looked adorable (and vaguely British royalty.).  

4 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

My little guy (8) has no long pants that aren't sweat pants.  (He barely squeezed into his old dress pants at Christmas and has grown since then.)

For adults at dinner, a no-no.

For 8-year old boys, a yes-yes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We've found that on casual nights shorts are now acceptable for everyone in the dining room no matter what they have printed in their literature. 

They would never tell you that children couldn't wear them.                

• Like 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

What kids don’t have long pants ?

Times have changed. Average kids today don't value long pants, nor write in script, use actual cash or know how to lace shoes. On the other hand, they can connect anything via Bluetooth, fix a home wifi network and pay for everything using cash apps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

(Ironically this is my child that wore a 3 piece suit for his first day of Zoom school.)

Buy more pants. Shorts are acceptable in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Doesn't matter what others post here either based on experience or opinion. The staff at the entrance to the MDR in the evening will let you know. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, davekathy said:

Buy more pants. Shorts are acceptable in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Doesn't matter what others post here either based on experience or opinion. The staff at the entrance to the MDR in the evening will let you know. 

And they will welcome all who are wearing short or long pants. 
But if you wish to buy long pants, go for it. They are also acceptable. 
Be comfortable. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

And they will welcome all who are wearing short or long pants. 

Just throwing out to the OP you and others can't speak for what the staff may or may not allow. Personally I don't care what others wear, no matter their age or gander as it's way above my pay grade. 

• Like 2

I also agree that I'm more concerned with how they behave in the Dining Room.  On our last cruise, which had LOTS of kids, there was some very well behaved kids (pre-teen to teenaged boys) sitting at a table with no parents.  The parents appeared to be sitting at the table next to them.  They behaved wonderfully!

• Like 3