"Love Boat" deceptions....

migdet71

12 hours ago, Kay S said:

You could bring your friends aboard to say goodbye and then there were those lovely streamers everyone threw at the sailaway.

I am old enough to remember the streamers as a reality, and the sail away brass band. Used to be for every sailing at least here in the U.K. 20 plus years ago. 

It was a nice touch.

• Like 2

Well, I also sailed on the original love boat, Pacific Princess to Acapulco in 1982, and I can honestly admit that party times on the cruise ships then were MUCH better than they are now. (I was young and single.) Yes, a lot more crew-passenger interaction, late night dancing, crew deck parties, NO social media or cell phone cameras, so all was quite private. 

The cabins were definitely not like the television show! (And crew cabins were very tiny with bunk beds.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

Geez, you could have added a spoiler alert. 🤪

This thread requires the reader to have a sense of humor, which you obviously do and "someone else" doesn't.

• Haha 4

On 4/24/2023 at 7:15 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Staff had time to engage in long conversations with passengers

And some engaged in some very long, over night conversations!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Well, I also sailed on the original love boat, Pacific Princess to Acapulco in 1982, and I can honestly admit that party times on the cruise ships then were MUCH better than they are now. (I was young and single.) Yes, a lot more crew-passenger interaction, late night dancing, crew deck parties, NO social media or cell phone cameras, so all was quite private. 

Aside from the mobile phones this sounds exactly like Virgin Voyages 🙃

• Haha 2

I also sailed the original Pacific and Island Princess and anyone who thinks the cabins looked anything like the ones on the show is delusional.   I remember visiting a suite and being impressed they had an actual sofa. 

The tables in the dining room were much closer together than depicted and there were far fewer tables for two.  The Pirates Cove was not nearly so inviting as pictured.  The passageways were not bright enough to perform surgery. 

However, what I’m most upset about is that I have *never* encountered Charo onboard.  If you think I’m kidding, read this piece by Amanda Hess of the NYT (no subscription required).   The Brilliance of Charo

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Well, I also sailed on the original love boat, Pacific Princess to Acapulco in 1982, and I can honestly admit that party times on the cruise ships then were MUCH better than they are now. (I was young and single.)

A gala buffet luncheon on the original Pacific Princess

001 Welcome WKG5H22a.jpg

003 Roast suckling pig CSG4M8.jpg

005 Fruit WKG5H21ma.jpg

006 Desserts CSG4H10ma.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Well, I also sailed on the original love boat, Pacific Princess to Acapulco in 1982, and I can honestly admit that party times on the cruise ships then were MUCH better than they are now.

Deck party with Africa theme on the original Pacific Princess

001 Jane (Dick's sister) CSG4H1m.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I always wondered how Captain Steubing screwed up so badly that he was demoted to news writer for his next gig. Even had to change his name to Murray Slaughter.  😁

Actually, he was promoted from his TV news show gig (ended 1977) to be Captain (started 1977).

Last name still began with an "S" so he did not have to throw out his monogrammed clothing.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Actually, he was promoted from his TV news show gig (ended 1977) to be Captain (started 1977).

Last name still began with an "S" so he did not have to throw out his monogrammed clothing.

Got that backasswards. So, quite the promotion!

And how about that Gofer?  Purser to Senator.

• Haha 4

On 4/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, arizonaperson said:

Yes,  I definitely remember that in San Pedro ,you could go aboard have a little party and then you had to be off by a certain time and then you could throw streamers from the terminal area to the ship .

We were sail away party guests in San Francisco many many years ago.  I'm pretty sure it was a Princess cruise, but won't vouch 100% for my memory.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, arizonaperson said:

Yes,  I definitely remember that in San Pedro ,you could go aboard have a little party and then you had to be off by a certain time and then you could throw streamers from the terminal area to the ship .

We were sail away party guests in San Francisco many many years ago.  I'm pretty sure it was a Princess cruise, but won't vouch 100% for my memory.