Can I get coffee in a to go cup?

erienetuser

1 hour ago, erienetuser said:

I'd like to walk around with it and thought it would be easier than in a cup. Thx!

Last cruise, last month, on the Enchanted they had to go cups. However, they said no more large cups, only regular sized.

It could have been a supply issue, not sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CeeCee59 said:

Yes. You just can't  take coffee ashore at many ports. 

I have walked off with my coffee in Hawaii, Caribbean, AK & MX Riviera

21 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Even better, take your own hot drink travel container and you can pour coffee drinks into that, sturdier and more likely to stay warm. But yes, you can get coffee in disposable to go cups

Meh--just one more thing to pack...plus I drink it fast enough it doesn't get cold😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Meh--just one more thing to pack...plus I drink it fast enough it doesn't get cold😂

I take an insulated to go cup on every cruise.  I pack it in one corner of the suitcase as fill it with handkerchiefs to offset the space it takes up.  One of life's little pleasures is to get a cup of coffee in the morning and carry it without worry about sloshing to watch the sunrise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I take an insulated to go cup on every cruise.  I pack it in one corner of the suitcase as fill it with handkerchiefs to offset the space it takes up.  One of life's little pleasures is to get a cup of coffee in the morning and carry it without worry about sloshing to watch the sunrise.

I get it--we each bring things that are important to us.

No sloshing worries--they have lids!

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Currently on a South Pacific cruise and every port has a warning about not taking anything but water including coffee. Each government has their own rules, so just listen to the announcements and no problem. There is a $400 fine in New Zealand for not following the rules.

13 hours ago, KKB said:

Yep. Just don't make it too obvious by holding it up high as you walk through the check out area. Some locations do have a thing about taking off coffee/drinks  & just want you to purchase it from their local stores. 

18 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Even better, take your own hot drink travel container and you can pour coffee drinks into that, sturdier and more likely to stay warm. But yes, you can get coffee in disposable to go cups

100%, wife wants 2 Lattes in the am and I want one. Very easy to carry and they stay warm.

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I think the OP was thinking about bringing their own insulated to-go cup.

I am. Or was. I always  overpack and I'm trying to do better so I'm deciding what I really need vs what would be a nice convenience.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, CeeCee59 said:

.There is a $400 fine in New Zealand for not following the rules.

Scary signs all over the place threatening your life and also sniffing dogs.  😶

2 hours ago, irishgirl said:

Every time I ordered from the International Cafe, my drinks came in a to go cup with a lid.

I am usually asked if I want my latte to go or in a mug to use there.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on where you are cruising.  In Australia and New Zealand, there was absolutely no way you could take an opened beverage off the ship to carry on land with you, especially if it was a drink such as coffee, tea, lattes, etc., which had milk in them.

When cruising in Antarctica waters the onboard paper “to go” cups and all paper napkins are not allowed as a precaution against them ending up in the waters of the area. This was our experience on the Coral Princess in 2020. 

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

When cruising in Antarctica waters the onboard paper “to go” cups and all paper napkins are not allowed as a precaution against them ending up in the waters of the area. This was our experience on the Coral Princess in 2020. 

Did you mean to say that there were no paper cups or napkins given out at the IC at all or they just didn't allow them off the ship. 

On 4/25/2023 at 1:05 PM, erienetuser said:

I'd like to walk around with it and thought it would be easier than in a cup. 

I’m a big fan of to-go cups on a cruise! And barely a day goes by at home when I don’t go to Dunkin or Wawa for my daily brew in a to-go cup that I carry around as I do errands.

While on a recent cruise I met a very nice woman on a catamaran excursion, and we got to chatting a bit. Turns out she works for a very small company where the CEO invented the sleeve/wrapper for paper coffee to-go cups and, as you know, those sleeves are used all over the world now. Why didn’t I think of that ingenious invention? Why? Why? Anyway, I told her that I remembered a Patrick Dempsey movie where his character was rich because he invented the coffee sleeve. She told me she was well aware of that movie. The producers needed to request permission of her CEO to use that part of the storyline. Just sharing some coffee-related trivia for my fellow coffee lovers out there. 🌺

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Did you mean to say that there were no paper cups or napkins given out at the IC at all or they just didn't allow them off the ship. 

Yes I mean there were no paper cups or paper napkins used or provided anywhere on the ship in any location. Coffee was only served in glass or the ceramic cups for the time we were in Antartica. Many of those who didn’t have one purchased the Princess insulated travel mugs to have coffee if not drinking it in the IC or dining rooms. 
The ship also had to burn a different fuel oil that was biodegradable when traveling in the area just in case there was an accident resulting in a large spill. 
This was the procedure in Feb/Mar 2020 just as the pandemic was ramping up and before everything shutdown. Can’t attest to whether this was the case during this years Antarctic voyages or not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

Yes I mean there were no paper cups or paper napkins used or provided anywhere on the ship in any location. Coffee was only served in glass or the ceramic cups for the time we were in Antartica. Many of those who didn’t have one purchased the Princess insulated travel mugs to have coffee if not drinking it in the IC or dining rooms. 
The ship also had to burn a different fuel oil that was biodegradable when traveling in the area just in case there was an accident resulting in a large spill. 
This was the procedure in Feb/Mar 2020 just as the pandemic was ramping up and before everything shutdown. Can’t attest to whether this was the case during this years Antarctic voyages or not. 

It is the same for an Alaska cruise when you are in Glacier Bay. No paper cups. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Thanks 1

We have never had an issue getting paper cups from the IC or napkins for that matter on any ship, yes, even in Alaska.   Don't think we tried to take them off at any time but they usually want you to dump it in the bin before getting off.

• Thanks 1

A little story about to-go coffee which maybe a little off topic but hey, this is Cruise Critic😆

My first trip to Germany many years ago, I was driving a rental on the autobahn and needed to stop for gas. They have very large places to fuel up right along the autobahn and I stop and go inside and it has a nice little caffe with the old style espresso machine with a barista at your service.

Being from America, I asked the barista if I could have a cappuccino to-go please. He looks at me with a frown and says NO!

I have a confused expression on my face and then he said in English “you can have one here if you just sit down and relax for a few minutes while you enjoy it”.

I’m was like….OK, and proceed to sit at the counter and shorty he places a beautiful cappuccino in a porcelain cup and Souter in front of me. For the next 10 minutes I sit there sipping the coffee and reflect why am I always hurrying somewhere needing a to-go cup.

Not judging why others need to get to-go cups of coffee, it’s just after that experience it’s a personal choice not to order anymore to-go’s and just take 10 minutes out of my busy day to pause and smell the roses, or in this case smell the coffee aroma 🙂

Cheers 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1