Could Cruise Critic please approach someone at Celebrity for comment on the Asia overbooking fiasco?

Belgian fry

Celebrity clearly are not being honest, with thousands of customers over numerous cruises waiting to hear their fate

and

The rebooking offers and compensation they are offering are insulting

and

They continue to get their information mixed up in their letters to customers

and

Their agents have no understanding of the situation (and keep giving conflicting advice/excuses)

etc

Thank you!

Although a few may disagree here, Celebrity does not care about cruise critic posters opinions.  Even if they are TAs or have traveled only with Celebrity for years.  And even if they are in the Retreat always.

You may have better luck and more viewers posting on twitter or other social media venues.  What happened was just inexcusable IMO. I don't care what the fine print says or whatever.  That was not right.  

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Belgian fry said:

I don't have twitter, but have commented their Facebook posts

people on Social media platforms are less monitored then here since it's much bigger and therefore posters are more apt to speak their minds without being censured or have comments deleted.  Going directly in the companies social media sites probably won't change things in the short run but may help others out in the future.  Good luck.  If it was me I'd be just as upset.  

I think it might drive home the point if everyone who received a cancellation email posted a photo of themselves holding the email on Celebrity’s Instagram account.

Edited by MandL
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Belgian fry said:

Celebrity clearly are not being honest, with thousands of customers over numerous cruises waiting to hear their fate

and

The rebooking offers and compensation they are offering are insulting

and

They continue to get their information mixed up in their letters to customers

and

Their agents have no understanding of the situation (and keep giving conflicting advice/excuses)

etc

Thank you!

Try filing a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). I've gotten great results from them with many large companies. I've never filed a complaint with Celebrity, but I did with Carnival and it got resoleved.

4 hours ago, MandL said:

I think it might drive home the point if everyone who received a cancellation email posted a photo of themselves holding the email on Celebrity’s Instagram account.

Would make even more of a point if they also posted a sign saying they were moving on to _______ cruise line.

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Would make even more of a point if they also posted a sign saying they were moving on to _______ cruise line.

I wouldn't put it that way.  I'd just lay out the issue.

I've had some success via Twitter with several companies.  Southwest Airlines provided a number of vouchers by discussing cancellations via Twitter DM.  Candidly, I doubt Celebrity will do much, if they reply at all, but they should.  Fortunately, composing a direct message should be a pretty simple and quick thing to do.

@Belgian fry If you want to suggest the travel news side of Cruise Critic investigates these problems for an  article, you can try these contacts listed in the About Us link on the main Cruise Critic page:

Questions, Feedback or Suggestions

feedback@cruisecritic.com

The Independent Traveler
400 1st Avenue
Needham, MA 02494

Editorial

Editor-In-Chief: Colleen McDaniel

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright, would things be better were your reservation was re-instated and someone else's cancelled?

Should X hurriedly clone another ship so everyone who has the unfortunate news that they were bumped and magically placed on the new ship?

Are any of the sailings within the next six (6) months?

I know for some passengers who were bumped, these sailings were bucket lists and I understand that well...

Has any of those directly affected checked other cruise lines for similar itineraries and time frames to salvage non-refundable airfares, non-refundable hotels, non-refundable tours which most likely can get refunds in many cases through either X or travel insurance???

While I would be disappointed in any cancellation, this provides an opportunity for those who are very, very, very upset at the situation to springboard to another line where they can get the sailing they want, transparency they deserve, potential compensation for any thing cancelled on the new sailing and most of all, they can kiss X good bye for good (or at least for a bit)...

As I understand it, X has made offers of compensation and provided other sail date offers, which, IMO, indicates taking responsibility for the challenge to some degree or not???

Need X provide all, who believe that they have been "unceremoniously" holding the bag over the cancellations, a passenger list of those who were not bumped and let you decide who does not sail so you can?

My other question is, what has your TA or CVP said about this and is there a possible wait list in case someone cancels (not that I would advocate waiting in case it would not happen).

This, unfortunately, is one of those situations where there will be very few ways to get back on-board, even if one were to reach out to the CEO.

Good luck to you and others affected by this situation and please let us know how things play out BUT you did come to a good sounding board, support group and a place to vent....

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Alright, would things be better were your reservation was re-instated and someone else's cancelled? Nope, I never said that

Should X hurriedly clone another ship so everyone who has the unfortunate news that they were bumped and magically placed on the new ship? Nope, I never said that

Are any of the sailings within the next six (6) months? Yes, several

I know for some passengers who were bumped, these sailings were bucket lists and I understand that well...

Has any of those directly affected checked other cruise lines for similar itineraries and time frames to salvage non-refundable airfares, non-refundable hotels, non-refundable tours which most likely can get refunds in many cases through either X or travel insurance??? Yes, but understandably at this late stage, choice is limited and prices have risen. The chances of getting something that fits the bill perfectly are rather slim

While I would be disappointed in any cancellation, this provides an opportunity for those who are very, very, very upset at the situation to springboard to another line where they can get the sailing they want, transparency they deserve, potential compensation for any thing cancelled on the new sailing and most of all, they can kiss X good bye for good (or at least for a bit)...Indeed. We are looking at cancelling our Galapagos trip

As I understand it, X has made offers of compensation and provided other sail date offers, which, IMO, indicates taking responsibility for the challenge to some degree or not??? "Choice of 3 cruises, some with limited or not availabilty or fare + a maximum of $500 back to cover non-refundable flights etc. Trust me, flights to Japan cost wayyyyy more than that

Need X provide all, who believe that they have been "unceremoniously" holding the bag over the cancellations, a passenger list of those who were not bumped and let you decide who does not sail so you can? Nope, I never said that

My other question is, what has your TA or CVP said about this and is there a possible wait list in case someone cancels (not that I would advocate waiting in case it would not happen).My TA (or rather the official Celebrity agent for the country in which I live) has said there is no overbooking issue and that if there was one, Celebrity would ask for volunteers. It is quite clear that there is a problem and that they haven't asked for volunteers.

This, unfortunately, is one of those situations where there will be very few ways to get back on-board, even if one were to reach out to the CEO.If we are cancelled, so be it. We just want to know where we stand. Should we or should we not buy tickets? Since they are deliberately covering up the problem we can't proceed

Good luck to you and others affected by this situation and please let us know how things play out BUT you did come to a good sounding board, support group and a place to vent....Well, I don't really note much support from you, but am grateful for that which I have received from others

bon voyage I don't know if I'm going

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Actually, bf, for the points you cited where you never "said that", I never attributed them to you or anyone else... they were questions on the situation.

I will go check other postings on this situation, I Am sure you are correct that there are sailings happening in the next six (6) months on which passengers were cancelled due to the situation, regardless of what it is. If passengers are being cancelled in under one (1) year, there had to be a major meltdown somewhere, somehow...

Flights are expensive to Asia, I know as I soon will have to book 'refundable' business class flights from the US... just in case a situation like this would happen to us, then again my travel insurance would cover this so not worried on that point.

Unless I missed it, please tell us what the X agent covering your country has stated what the real issue is causing the cancellations, I Am sure most of us would like to know other than what some have stated they told by X and etc.

"Deliberately covering up the problem"???

Have you actually been bumped or is this a reaction to other postings for similar sailings? Also, if you are in the EU as your signature suggest, are there not strong consumer protection laws in place to cover this and you can call for assistance? Just a thought.

You can buy tickets, is it too late to buy them, in your country, through X, in which case fully refunded if they cancel or change your sailing.

Yes, you can proceed, you are in the unfortunate position of having to guess how to proceed in your best interest, especially on such short notice. I do not envy you at all.

This is the first time I have read where there were "wide spread" X initiated cancellations, very unusual to be sure.

Rather you go on your selected sailing or not, I still wish you a bon voyage on whatever sailing, land or river holiday you may or may not choose.

All the best.

Edited by Bo1953

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Nice changeup.

It appeared that the OP did not understand my use of bon voyage, so All the best was the next best closing...

Thank you and bon voyage

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It appeared that the OP did not understand my use of bon voyage, so All the best was the next best closing...

Thank you and bon voyage

Yes, you have used "bon voyage" in your signature for years.  However, under the circumstances I thought the OPs response was sadly humorous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone on the Oct 12 cruise has received the dreaded 'pink slip'.

They had originally booked in 2018 for a 2020 cruise which did not happen and has been subsequently L&S multiple times.

Revenue dept made the decision ?? Why ?? We can all speculate but fare paid was probably a factor.

They are left with non-refundable USD3000 air tickets which are not covered by travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Someone on the Oct 12 cruise has received the dreaded 'pink slip'.

They had originally booked in 2018 for a 2020 cruise which did not happen and has been subsequently L&S multiple times.

Revenue dept made the decision ?? Why ?? We can all speculate but fare paid was probably a factor.

They are left with non-refundable USD3000 air tickets which are not covered by travel insurance.

a - their air tickets are not covered by travel insurance???

Pray tell the reason or is it the cruise line insurance vs third party???

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

As I understand it, X has made offers of compensation and provided other sail date offers, which, IMO, indicates taking responsibility for the challenge to some degree or not???

The compensation is a joke and will quickly get eaten up by inflation for a future sailing...  It falls way short of what other lines have done in similar situations.

Not an equitable resolution by any means.

SMH at Xs latest muff up.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

I don't know and have not/will not enquire. They are understandbly upset.  A trip booked 5 years ago is cancelled and they are upset.

I am unsure if my UK travel insurance would cover a non-refundable air ticket cancelled because a 3rd party cancelled onward travel plans. However I have a refundable air ticket.

Edited by anniegb
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, anniegb said:

I don't know and have not/will not enquire. They are understandbly upset.  A trip booked 5 years ago is cancelled and they are upset.

I am unsure if my UK travel insurance would cover a non-refundable air ticket cancelled because a 3rd party cancelled onward travel plans. However I have a refundable air ticket.

Okay, did not realize this is a UK booking, which will have different policies from the US...

I would be upset, too, as stated before to the OP.

Here in the US, we have travel insurance policies which will cover such instances provided they are declared at time of policy sign up or when the tickets were purchased, which ever is later.

bon voyage

13 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

It's very possible that is their way of phrasing that they do not have travel insurance...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clojacks said:

It's very possible that is their way of phrasing that they do not have travel insurance...

Possible.

The cruiser is resident in North America.

However let us assume, they purchased travel insurance in 2018 at time of original booking.  Would it still be valid?? or would they have to renew the policy annually??

11 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Possible.

The cruiser is resident in North America.

However let us assume, they purchased travel insurance in 2018 at time of original booking.  Would it still be valid?? or would they have to renew the policy annually??

Most insurers permitted the policy to be transferred to a new sailing without additional charge unless the non-refundable costs went up (not down).

bon voyage

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Most insurers permitted the policy to be transferred to a new sailing without additional charge unless the non-refundable costs went up (not down).

bon voyage

Thank you for that.

I suspect like many UK cruisers, I have a multi-trip travel policy  which is renewed annually.

• Like 1